| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to monetise your blog without selling out.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:51 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

People have been telling me to monetise my blog for years and looking at my life plans for the next couple of years (non stop travel! Eeek!) I'm beginning to think that it's a good idea but I would love some help and ideas on how to do it without totally selling out. I want any adverts to be relevant to my content but also to fit in with my personal ethics so I don't want to advertise banks / supermarkets / diet pills etc. Do any of you who run ad's have tips on how to control what pops up? Or which vegan companies to contact to discuss advertising?

I know a tonne of bloggers have Amazon affiliate links (and I do shop there on occasion) but I don't want to advertise Amazon. It seems like Foyles might have an affiliate scheme now which looks promising.

Can you tell I'm slightly uncomfortable / unsure about the whole thing?!

Post subject: Re: How to monetise your blog without selling out.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Everyone understands "selling out" a little differently. Advertising something you'd never buy/use yourself might be one example.

I generally only think a blog has "sold out" when the tone of the writing changes entirely. As in, 'this person used to write heartfelt personal essays, and now posts a sponsored product review every day.' Or a blog used to be entirely content from the author, but is now almost entirely "success stories" from readers who took the author's life advice.

I don't mean to imply that blogs shouldn't change as the bloggers lives change! Only that readers need to feel like they're dealing with the same person.

You put a lot of time and effort into your blog. Surely there are vegan companies who'd be happy to work with you! What products/services are most likely to benefit your readers?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I feel similarly to you. I also don't want to post links to amazon. It doesn't work for my site because my site is in German but bookdepository also has an affiliate program: http://affiliates.bookdepository.com/af ... /index.php

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:20 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I get semi-regular emails inviting me to put ads on my site for some grocery shopping network.

Vegan Cuts has an affiliate program, but I wouldn't bother with it as my link has never worked. According to them, no one has ever even clicked my affiliate link, let alone bought something. Even when someone on twitter asked me for my link and then told me they signed up for the snack box with it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:57 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

You can check and see if some local to you places do affiliate links. Some of the vegan grocers in the US have them and I signed up for Rabbit Food Grocery because they're a company I am happy to promote. You could also talk to places in the UK that you write about and see about them paying you for a direct ad, rather than an affiliate link. That way you have exact control over who is showing up on your site.

And thanks for also being someone who doesn't want to advertise Amazon.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:11 am 

Rebekah wrote:
Everyone understands "selling out" a little differently. Advertising something you'd never buy/use yourself might be one example.

I generally only think a blog has "sold out" when the tone of the writing changes entirely. As in, 'this person used to write heartfelt personal essays, and now posts a sponsored product review every day.' Or a blog used to be entirely content from the author, but is now almost entirely "success stories" from readers who took the author's life advice.

I don't mean to imply that blogs shouldn't change as the bloggers lives change! Only that readers need to feel like they're dealing with the same person.

You put a lot of time and effort into your blog. Surely there are vegan companies who'd be happy to work with you! What products/services are most likely to benefit your readers?

That's interesting Rebakah. I think it's good to know what other peoples perceptions are re: selling out.

I'm sure that there probably would be companies who'd be interested in working with me but I have no idea how to approach companies to talk about advertising or what price companies might be paying for that kind of service.

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I feel similarly to you. I also don't want to post links to amazon. It doesn't work for my site because my site is in German but bookdepository also has an affiliate program: http://affiliates.bookdepository.com/af ... /index.php

Sadly The Book Depository is owned by Amazon.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I get semi-regular emails inviting me to put ads on my site for some grocery shopping network.

Vegan Cuts has an affiliate program, but I wouldn't bother with it as my link has never worked. According to them, no one has ever even clicked my affiliate link, let alone bought something. Even when someone on twitter asked me for my link and then told me they signed up for the snack box with it.

Yeah aside from that sounding shady/annoying I definitely don't think VC is for me, I'm not into the beauty box thang and I'd be pissed if I signed up for a snack box and it came with weird shiitake to put in water and healthy snacks!! Maybe I'll contact the people who run one in the UK though. They appear to stuff theirs full of crisps, chocolate and biscuits!

pandacookie wrote:
You can check and see if some local to you places do affiliate links. Some of the vegan grocers in the US have them and I signed up for Rabbit Food Grocery because they're a company I am happy to promote. You could also talk to places in the UK that you write about and see about them paying you for a direct ad, rather than an affiliate link. That way you have exact control over who is showing up on your site.

And thanks for also being someone who doesn't want to advertise Amazon.

I e-mailed Rabbit Food, it was them posting here that made me think more about it but I want to see if they ship outside the US before I try signing up. I like the idea of contacting companies I buy from about direct ad's I would have no clue what the going rate would be though and I guess I'd need to get over the feeling that I'm being presumptuous even suggesting it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I think companies like meaningful marketing, and would be happy to have someone reach out to them. Especially in the vegan world.
(But I don't have a blog and have not ever actually contacted companies about advertising in this capacity.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

jojo wrote:
I like the idea of contacting companies I buy from about direct ad's I would have no clue what the going rate would be though and I guess I'd need to get over the feeling that I'm being presumptuous even suggesting it!

They might say no. They might not get back to you.

The WON'T write a list of everything they hate about you, make a slide show of your personality flaws, confirm your darkest fears about the future of humanity, or set your apartment on fire. That's what I have to remind myself before job interviews; either they hire you or they don't. It might be uncomfortable, but it won't be all the terrible nightmare scenarios that flash through my scumbag brain. =)

You're not presumptuous, and they should be pleased to have such an enthusiastic customer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:19 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

jojo wrote:
I e-mailed Rabbit Food, it was them posting here that made me think more about it but I want to see if they ship outside the US before I try signing up. I like the idea of contacting companies I buy from about direct ad's I would have no clue what the going rate would be though and I guess I'd need to get over the feeling that I'm being presumptuous even suggesting it!

I would start googling around a bit to see if you can get any rate info, or ask other bloggers who do ads on their site what they charge. If you get all that information together, you can send out a personalized press release-type letter to companies.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:32 am 

Haha, thanks Rebekah! I'm not worried about rejection or anything I just want to make sure I can appoach companies with a reasonable proposal.

Great advice as usual panda! Thank you! Googling is a-go and I'm making a list of acceptable companies. I would imagine that finding one with any kinda ad budget will be a challenge but I'd rather make no money than dubious money!