| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: beginner sewing
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i actually got the manual in my hand and i still don't get it. It tells me to put a into b and i can't find a b even on the drawing! i asked my parents but they both have no idea and i don't really know anyone who sews. I used to hand-sew for so many years, these machines still look daunting to me ..

I think they maybe expect everyone to already know how these work anyway. Or that our mothers should have taught us this or something equally weird.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

every one is different and i know every time i use someone else's machine or get a new one it takes me FOREVER to learn how to thread it. is there any place you can go and bring it (like a fabric store) and ask the people there if they have any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 am 
Tofu Pup

Jojo, it sounds like your thread tension is off. There should be a dial with numbers on it that *looks* like it doesn't do anything, but it controls how tight the machine holds on to your thread as it feeds it to the needle. If it's too tight, you'll bind up for sure. Also when your bobbin is in the case (before you put it in the undercarriage) you should be able to hold it by the thread and give it a little shake. It should drop about 2-3 inches then stop. If it falls all the way to the floor, your bobbin tension is too loose. Adjust a little screw on the case. Fiddle with the upper and lower (bobbin) tension until you get a nice even stitch. Use scrap to test it out. You may have to do this every time you get the machine out for a project. Also, close your eyes and blow real hard into the machine to loosen up the thread lint that will build up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 am 
Inflexitarian

i'm just now seeing this thread.
jojo or anybody, if you're using an old machine or machine that hasn't been used in years, take it sewing machine dealer! they will clean, tune it and get it running brand new plus show you how to thread your machines.

in the US, do a search for sewing & vacuum stores (how domestic!). these stores also offer cheap classes too!
jojo, brighton has a huge sewing scene. if you need recommendations for shops let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

my friend just bought me a sewing machine for my bday! i enrolled in a class at the fabric store! cat stuff here i come!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:50 am 

i finally took a sewing class at Jo-Anne's. It was 4 students - 2.5 hours and I did not learn anything. I think I need to take another class. :/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:26 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I really think the best way is to just SEW. Get some material you don't care that much about, and try out the different stitches and techniques so you are familiar with them and your machine. Do that until you feel pretty confident, then work on some simple patterns. A really good, basic project book is great, too (I think I already mentioned One Yard Wonders in this thread, but it really is great). My mom helped me a little, showed me how to not break her sewing machine and told me the importance of washing/ironing/pinning before sewing, but everything else I pretty much practiced till I got it (mostly) right.

I don't think I would learn anything in a class, either. To me, sewing doesn't seem like something that can be taught beyond how to set up your machine and some tips to make things easier (like washing fabric, ironing it, and/or pinning before you sew).

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:04 am 

i am going to tinker with my machine & maybe find someone that can get me past being freaked out! i am looking at one yard now! :)