| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any musicians out there?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:02 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I am learning to play the guitar. I am at the point I know enough chords so now it's time to put them together! Getting proper timing is challenging for a beginner. I enjoy learning though and have dreams of someday having my own queercore band. :) Anyone else musically inclined?

Post subject: Re: Any musicians out there?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:25 pm 
Tofu Pup

Meeee! I love playing music. Been playing piano for a long time. Also have a violin and a mandolin, but my piano playing is probably the only one that won't make ears bleed. I've never played with other people, but I love sharing music with friends and family. Any particular genres you're into? Classical guit/Bluegrass/contemporary, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I've done some musicky things... Keyboard stuff, a little guitar (I think I'm a little past where you are, but not by much).

Used to do a LOT of electronic music.

http://soundcloud.com/solipsistnation/clustery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:10 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I just started teaching myself the guitar! I have never played an instrument, but decided I wanted to learn. It is fun but at times frustrating as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:23 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

solipsistnation wrote:
Yeah, I've done some musicky things... Keyboard stuff, a little guitar (I think I'm a little past where you are, but not by much).

Used to do a LOT of electronic music.

http://soundcloud.com/solipsistnation/clustery

Cool electronic music. Thanks for sharing.

Kelpy - I am mostly into alternative, queercore (yes, that's a genre of music), and punk. I want to learn how to really play though - not just make music with power chords. What type of music are you into?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

Lately I've been on an appalachian trip since I got my mando. I had to play classical music for lessons so that's what i'm most familiar with (snozzzzz) but I play a lot of contemporary japanese music, iz pretty :B Big fan of Joe Hisaishi, Nobuo Uematsu...
Been trying lately to find recommendations for some good piano books that are a little more indie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:58 pm 
Member type 4

I'm recording a cover of the Black Keys Psychotic Girl on my floor using an 8-track and a mickorg. I'm bored.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:07 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I have a music degree. My instrument is french horn. I haven't been playing much lately, but I'm going to start my own recording project soon, since I can't find people who want to play metal with a french horn player. Go figure!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:05 am 
Impressive boner

I've played guitar since I was about 7 but never applied myself enough to be really good at it. Somehow, though, I ended up being the lead guitarist and singer in a band. I also used to play the cello but again, never applied myself enough.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Hey, me too. I play percussion - I have a drumset and also really love playing marimba, but I have love for all of the percussion instruments I've ever encountered. Except bongos. But even they have their place, I guess. In college I was in some percussion ensembles and played drums in a couple bands, but now I haven't found much opportunity to play. Too bad I can't exactly have a drum set in my apartment building. I should learn a more portable/quieter instrument.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I play guitar, bass and some mandolin. I have a clarinet and trumpet but can't play them.

to the OP, don't underestimate your strumming hand! that's the biggest thing I see with beginning guitar players-they concentrate on their chord fingering so much, they dont have any rhythm in the strumming...keep it loose!

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:08 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I play guitar, bass, keyboards -- and as lousy as I am as a playing real drums, I can program a drum machine groove pretty well. ;)

a mix of current/old music is in the link in the .sig -- the first track (Rose Coloured Glasses) is a song I wrote 31 years ago and finally recorded this year -- talk about procrastination!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Haha. I am currently a music therapy grad student. I've played the viola since I was 10. I took voice lessons in high school. In college, I picked up the guitar, started learning piano, and learned Celtic fiddle. In short, yes, I am indeed a musician.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:28 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Neat! I took a music therapy class in my undergrad, and while I could never practise, it was really cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:20 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Kelpy, you're here!

I have a recently-acquired accordion named Ingrid who is currently in the shop getting fixed up! I am going to learn to make sweet love to her and play Parisian, Klezmer, and Balkan-style accordion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:13 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I play mountainy banjo, but there's so much more I want to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I also really want to learn ukelele. And apparently I'm going to learn how to play the autoharp in my classes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

I like to play guitar and melodica. I can't read music very well, but it's fun to play chords and experiment by ear.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've had the most training with the piano. I also play trumpet, percussion and ukulele. Just formed a ukulele group here in SD. I LOVE playing with other people! Such a great experience.

Organarchists Unite

Vegan Sushi Roll Pillows & More!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:25 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Ingrid is back from the accordion shop! She sounds and looks beautiful. The only problem is there was such a long waiting list for the repair shop that I got used to playing her in her out-of-shape condition. Now that all the keys work and I can play treble parts in the correct octave and I realize my shoulder straps are supposed to put it much lower my muscle memory is all forked and it's like learning from scratch all over again! I'm happy to have her back, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:26 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
15 years drums 8 years guitar (though guitar has really been learned just as a vessel to write music)

Id say the best way to improve is form a band. The dynamic of working with someone else ans writing songs is incredibly beneficial...outside that Id say just start learning songs you like. That helps you picks up other styles and techniques.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:50 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Oboe, piano, and self taught guitar. Would LOVE to play the Ukulele!

http://orangesuspicion.bandcamp.com/

I have some terrible composition and a cover up there. ^

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I started off with Violin, was moved to Upright Bass and Cello during school. Eventually started piano and did vocal for a short time. Played guitar throughout. All told 15 years of music. Still playing guitar. I'm sure there's a lot of people on here who can and are willing to help with Guitar/Music theory, just send a PM!

I even made an excel sheet with every Scale/Mode and common chords therein at some point, if I can find it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:35 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

Geetar and little drums and bass! Learned on my own via a book and the internet about 2 yrs ago...my BF and I are currently doing a project on our FB where we cover a song once a week, and it's fun! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Ingrid is back from the accordion shop! She sounds and looks beautiful. The only problem is there was such a long waiting list for the repair shop that I got used to playing her in her out-of-shape condition. Now that all the keys work and I can play treble parts in the correct octave and I realize my shoulder straps are supposed to put it much lower my muscle memory is all forked and it's like learning from scratch all over again! I'm happy to have her back, though.

Awesome! You'll re-learn it in no time. I have two piano accordions - one cheap shitty one from a flea market in China (I lugged that thing around for three weeks, plus a backpack, plus a travel guitar, plus a clarinet.... but it was soooo worth it), and one nice one that was given to me by a friend's partner who couldn't play it anymore. Is yours a 120 bass? Mine is soooo huge - I originally wanted a "ladies' model", but I'm just glad to have one with diminished chords.

Apart from piano accordion, I play (in chronological order): piano, clarinet, voice, guitar, percussion (but not kit), a tiny bit of flute. I think that piano accordion is my true musical love, though. That said, this last 6 months Elvira hasn't been getting much love.... I've been so busy with school. Finally it's summer holidays and I can play heaps again. I am so out of shape! (She's a heavy beast. I need to get some fatter shoulder straps, cos the narrow ones are killing me).