| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any musicians out there?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:01 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Yaaay, another accordionista! I've really been enjoying playing her now that she's in shape, although the high B on the piano side only works when I'm closing the bellows, ugh. Ingrid is just a petite little 32-bass, but that is plenty for me to handle right now! It's a little frustrating because I'm teaching myself using the Palmer-Hughes books, but already in the second book they assume you've got a larger accordion and the music is going up into octaves that I don't have on my little gal (she's only 3 octaves on the treble side). I've been practicing by just playing an octave lower than how higher songs are printed. My parents' dog is visiting this week and she likes to 'sing along' when I play, so I hope to take a video of her doing that soon!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:59 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

yes! i've been playing acoustic guitar for a few years, i'm still not as good as i'd like to be, but i love it.
i'm sort of too shy to play in front of people unless i'm drunk, but i want to do some shows someday.

starrynight87 wrote:
I also really want to learn ukelele. And apparently I'm going to learn how to play the autoharp in my classes.

i'm getting myself a ukulele for xmas!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I play drums, piano, and clarinet. A little harmonica here and there, as well as tambourine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:02 am 
Chip Strong

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Yaaay, another accordionista! I've really been enjoying playing her now that she's in shape, although the high B on the piano side only works when I'm closing the bellows, ugh. Ingrid is just a petite little 32-bass, but that is plenty for me to handle right now! It's a little frustrating because I'm teaching myself using the Palmer-Hughes books, but already in the second book they assume you've got a larger accordion and the music is going up into octaves that I don't have on my little gal (she's only 3 octaves on the treble side). I've been practicing by just playing an octave lower than how higher songs are printed. My parents' dog is visiting this week and she likes to 'sing along' when I play, so I hope to take a video of her doing that soon!

Awesome! I'd actually really like to get a smaller one - a 32 bass sounds like a nice size. Are the Palmer-Hughes books good? I'm entirely self-taught on accordion, but I really really dig klezmer and gypsy/Rom music. Also, I pretty much suck at writing bass lines.... maybe a book would be good for learning that kind of thing (I mostly learn through writing my own songs).
I'm glad that Ingrid is all fixed up now, although that high B sounds annoying... they're a temperamental sort of instrument, though, and you have to love them for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:58 am 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

Yo we need some links to music! I want to hear what ppkers make.
I unfortunately don't have a whole lot recorded to live up to my request, but here is something from a couple years ago (I'm the one with the black and white scarf. Sorry the quality is so shitty. Also we were sophomores in high school.):

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:13 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm a classically trained harpist and pianist. Also play other keyboards, synths, etc.

I performed raqs sharqi for years, so it's almost obligatory that I became a percussionist (Mideast percussion). I also do vox.

My hubby is a professional keyboardist, producer, arranger, vocalist and drummer/percussionist.

We has some fun!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:00 pm 

I play violin professionally during the summer months (primetime for weddings). I also am looking to join a community orchestra because I miss playing so much. I went to school for music therapy, am a psych major after all of that and originally wanted to go for violin performance but quickly realized that with that degree progam I was probably going to end up a teacher or professor, which I do NOT want.

*Exhale* So yes, I play violin. :D
And a little guitar and piano. And I sing.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

radish sandwich wrote:
Hey, me too. I play percussion - I have a drumset and also really love playing marimba, but I have love for all of the percussion instruments I've ever encountered. Except bongos. But even they have their place, I guess. In college I was in some percussion ensembles and played drums in a couple bands, but now I haven't found much opportunity to play. Too bad I can't exactly have a drum set in my apartment building. I should learn a more portable/quieter instrument.

My best friend is a marimbist!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

sarahnorine wrote:
I play violin professionally during the summer months (primetime for weddings). I also am looking to join a community orchestra because I miss playing so much. I went to school for music therapy, am a psych major after all of that and originally wanted to go for violin performance but quickly realized that with that degree progam I was probably going to end up a teacher or professor, which I do NOT want.

Music therapists unite!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm trying to learn piano. Really. (Well, I'm trying to try, but my free time is just not there.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:26 am 

starrynight87 wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

Music therapists unite!

Woo! High five!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've played guitar for almost eight years. Now I mostly play video game music. I want to get a piano and teach myself to play.

ETA: I also used to play the french horn, but I was terrible at it, so I quit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

I play piano and also sing soprano, although my classical training in singing is not extensive and I still consider myself a beginner in that genre of voice.
I played flute for years and kind of dropped it a year and a half ago to focus on preparing piano for college but I picked it up last week actually just to see how badly I would suck and wasn't as bad as I thought I'd be. Tone isn't all there but I guess I can still say I know how to play.
I have a couple accordions and I used to play back in middle school and definitely want to pick it up again. Piano is my passion but accordion would be a fun extension of it once in a while especially for jamming with other musicians.
I also bought myself sister a ukulele for her birthday last month...so I plan on learning some basics on that in the summer. (;

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've been playing the drums for around twenty two years, and have some lovely sparkle drums. I really need to find more opportunities to play, and would love to be in an all vegan band. I used to play piano and have retained some basic skills, enough to work out song ideas. I keep meaning to learn the bass but haven't really got round to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I play guitar and sing.

http://brodiehubbard.com/mp3s
http://brodiefosterhubbard.com/music.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:26 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I play a little guitar and a little bit of bass.. Not well, mind you, but I do play.. Sometimes even with other musicians who don't suck.

Bottom line, I enjoy it :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

jordanpattern wrote:
I have a music degree. My instrument is french horn. I haven't been playing much lately, but I'm going to start my own recording project soon, since I can't find people who want to play metal with a french horn player. Go figure!

there's an aussie band touring the US atm called "the barons of tang" and they have a strange array of classical style instruments and they call their music "gypsy death-core" maybe you could get into this genre? they're pretty fun to watch live...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnbB5ZHNq10&feature=related[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Piano for twelve years, guitar for eight, clarinet for seven, percussion for five. Worked selling guitars for a year. Would love to work in a little music shop.

Hang in there! The guitar will come to you if you relax.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:36 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've played guitar and sang for years, regularly made money playing bass for a while, and am currently all about the banjo.

I don't really have anything to show off I mostly arrange and play with a friend of mine and we never have time to record together. Even the songs that I wrote myself sound incomplete to me without the harmonies.

But we're planning on leaving our jobs and moving away to just to yoga and record an album in September, so maybe then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oooh, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! I'm in the beginning stages of learning guitar and piano. I really aspire to be someone that can be called a musician, but right now I'm a total n00b.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I sang in this band for a good half a year until i realized that i hated my bandmates and didn't want to go on a 30 day tour with them...
http://wearestepdads.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:10 pm 
Huffs Nooch

gnat wrote:
I sang in this band for a good half a year until i realized that i hated my bandmates and didn't want to go on a 30 day tour with them...

Is that you singing on the tunes on the website?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Matthew wrote:
gnat wrote:

Is that you singing on the tunes on the website?

yeah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

gnat wrote:

Too bad. I like it. Your ex-drummer really likes his cymbals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:04 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

I have all the gear to be a functioning guitar player, but I'm super slack at practicing and have nobody to play with, so the 20+ years under my belt still sounds like that ceaseless "Smoke on the Water" serenade at your local Guitar Center.