| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY Floor coverings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:23 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I'm doing some cosmetic upgrades to my new home before I move in next month, and naturally the first things to go were the carpets. These were in very nice shape, but I generally find carpet nasty- I just don't trust anything I can't wipe clean or throw in the washing machine! Here's the after shot of my attic (aka future sewing studio) after I tackled it this weekend!

Unfortunately the floor doesn't look like I can salvage it as a natural hardwood. It's had a lot of filler put in and needs a lot more. So I'll likely be painting it. But I'm also open to other ideas, like FLOR tiles. I also found this amazing tutorial on how to make your own glitter floor: http://www.craftychica.com/site/2011/07 ... ete-floor/
Although that is for a concrete floor so I'm not sure if I could achieve the same results. I've also seen penny floors and a brown paper bag floor (didn't like it, it looked like leather).

Anyone done their own DIY floor covering? Seen any other cool ideas? Also looking for inspiration?

Post subject: Re: DIY Floor coverings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:12 pm 
protein lump

that glitter floor is uh.may.zing.

i might have to do that in my basement.

i don't have any suggestions for you, but i'll be keeping an eye on this thread. our new place has hardwood floors that are pretty ok, but they're going to need to be re-done at some point in the next couple years and i'd like to do something a little more interesting than just refinishing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think the paper bag floor looks super cool but I have never seen it IRL
http://www.domesticimperfection.com/201 ... a-tutorial

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Downstairs bedroom almost finished!* I still have to rip the carpets out of the closets and remove a line of staples from the center of the room, but I'm pretty impressed with what I was able to accomplish in 100 minutes after a full day at the office.

These floors are in much better shape. Aside from the border where the floor meets the wall, I think these boards can be sanded down and salvaged with a nice stain or clear varnish. I'll need to replace the planks around the border of the room, as they are alternately old and rotten or crappily-cut plywood filler. But hey, could be a lot worse!

*finished with carpet removal, that is. In terms of finishing the floor, I've only just begun!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:35 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I'm jealous, we moved in the day after we closed so I didn't get to do anything. Also that glitter floor looks amazing, but painting will too. Can I talk about my floor issues too?

We have normal carpet in our living and dining room that is fairly new and must have a ton of padding underneath because it's a dream to walk on, but the rest of the house is covered in that textured carpet. Which is horrible to try and get cat puke out of. Obviously the bathrooms, kitchen, and sun room don't have carpet but three of the bedrooms, the upstairs hallway/stairs, and family room have it.

The good: the two bedrooms that have original flooring aren't great, but there are no broken boards or anything so I think they just need a light sanding. I purposely left the smallest room empty because after I paint the bathroom, that's next and it'll be easy to get the floor done and paint. Also our guest bedroom, the carpet is not well glued down so I was able to peek underneath and confirm wood floors. The cats like to sleep on this bed which means they like to puke on this floor so I would like to rip it out within the next few months. But it has our old bed in it, which is on a platform frame which is a nightmare to move unless you're just picking it up and moving it to a different wall, and this is an old house so even though there are five bedrooms, they aren't very big and the bed takes up more than 50% of the room so we can't just move it and rip up one side, and then move it and rip up the other. So Brian is going to hate me for that.

The bad: The other room with wood floors is our 'cat room' which means we'd have to displace them and keep them out (i'd also go ahead and paint in there while i'm at it) and there is a bed in there that the former owners left that we'd have to move into another room.

The carpet in the family room, in addition to being textured, is pretty gross. Also the room is painted two shades of pea soup green* and so I hate the whole room. It's the only room I totally hate. The door to the garage is here, which means a lot of dirty foot traffic, so that's why the carpet looks so bad. I have a carpet shampooer but it can only do so much on textured carpet. The carpet is glued down really well, so I can't get a look at the floor underneath without doing some probably obvious damage to the edge of the carpet.

*the paint extends into the kitchen, and the entire room has shelves running around the top, so it's not an easy job to paint so i'm going to wait until either I can actually pay someone or someone gets REALLY enthusiastic about helping me tape and paint those two rooms.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:36 pm 

Oh, and i'm just going to go for regular varnish because we're not moving for a long time, but I know we're not going to stay here forever so I don't want to do anything too wild that would be hard to cover up, so no glitter floors for me. :(

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:06 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

IM SO JEAOUS OF YOU.

I want floors to re-finish. Unnnnnngh. That sounds like heaven to me.

From that picture, the attic flooring looks like it could be neat given a look to enhance the roughness/utilitarian look maybe? I mean you say it needs a lot more filler but I feel like it could be worked around! I'm thinking a paint and then sanding it away kind of look, like a kind of patina for wood. Oh man you could do some cool techniques with starting with an opaque white, then an opaque celadon kind of color, then much strategic sanding, then some transparent rust in some spots, also then strategically sanded, then a sealing clear coat. Ooooh fork and what about getting some old rusty nails and things and hammering them in all wonky here and there, you know, hammering it in part way and then purposefully bending it over and then hammering it totally flush... Before the top sealant coat obviously. Ooooooh even more fork.... you could totally hammer flush into the wood a penny or two, also... or some old foreign coin or something.

I'm getting a bit too excited thinking about this.

That penny floor sounds pretty bad-ass, but I worry about doing something to a wood floor that ultimately ruins it. At least with paint it could always be sanded down. Gawd imagine pulling that penny shiitake up! In my google search I saw someone did a penny wall for a section of their bathroom, looked great next to shiny white bathroom tiles and kind of felt more appropriate on a wall, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:45 am 
Tofu Pup

Will be putting down new tile in kitchen, bath and sunporch over summer. My number one choice is Armstrong commercial tile. I've used it before, and because the color runs all the way through the 1/8" thickness, will not show any signs of wear - EVER!

http://www.lowes.com/Search=armstrong+c ... cial+tile#!

45 (12"x12") squares/carton - $30-40/carton

I know it does not sound exciting, but I use the floor as a base (like a painted wall) and add rugs or handpainted floorcloths to decorate. It waxes well (if desired), and cleans easily. Can't say enough good things about going with commercial tile.

Also, there are a wide range of colors you can order thru Lowes, if they don't have the color in stock that you want.

Given condition of your floor, you'll probably need a luan skin over the old floor - will provide a smooth flat surface for the tile. I have a slight "hump" in subfloor due to previous owner's water damage and a very knowledgeable (former contractor) dept manager at Lowes told me that these tiles can actually be heated w/hairdryer and will readily bend to fit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:03 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Finished up the last of the carpeting and staples in my bedroom. The floor looks really nice! I took out the sliding mirror doors that cover the closets (should have done that in the first place, oh well), and the wood that was hidden under the tracks is a beautiful reddish amber. I think with some sanding I will have a really nice floor!

Upstairs is still going to be a paint job, but that's okay!

The coolest thing about my house renovation is that I now live about 10 minutes' walk from my city's newly re-opened tool lending library. I check out their inventory online and they have a bunch of different sanders I could use! Of course, I have to figure out which ones (if any) are appropriate for flooring....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

You can use a hand sander for floors, if you hate yourself and your back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 am 
Level 7 Vegan

The improv theater I'm at has the paper floor, and I recommend against it. It gets damaged super easily!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi... another thought occurred to me. Non-conventional floors can have their drawbacks.
There are some things to consider.
- even tho you may not be planning to sell the house and move any time soon, when you do, will you have to expend time and money to redo the floor before you list? this can mean anything from retouching to surfacing. There are some people who might want to knock the selling price down bcz they feel they will have to redo the floor in that area.
- how well will the floor wear? will there be kids on rollerblades? dogs w/sharp toenails? spike heals? hot gluegun, paint, or other craft chemicals which could spill? Will small potential areas of damage stick out like a sore thumb?

In keeping with my practical side, I still vote for the conventional floor as a base. Floor cloths are relatively easy to make in ANY SIZE, and you could make one w/a sealed in glitter layer. Two years down the road, redo the floorcloth in another color of glitter, or do something different like paint over the glitter and then apply a stencil, brown paper pieces w/coat of urethane, acrylic artwork, decoupage, etc. etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I live in the SF Bay Area, so I'm pretty confident that no matter what I do to the house, as long as it still stands, it will sell like hotcakes!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:32 pm 

Yeah, my decision to not do anything that can't be easily covered just has to do with where we live and the fact that I would have to re-do whatever to sell it. If anything else, when you go to sell you can always offer a carpet allowance if someone expresses interest in the house but wants the floor covered first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:32 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

In all honesty, I will likely just paint the upstairs floor and re-finish the downstairs bedroom floor!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:07 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I am finding some awesome paint ideas online! I think what I am leaning towards is a striped floor like these:

Of course, I could always go with a Twin Peaks-esque sewing room!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Twin Peaks-esque [/img]

Yes!!!!

They are both great though, but I lurve that chevron floor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Slowly and laboriously filling in all the holes upstairs with wood filler. Have blazed through 3 cans already and only 1/3 of the room is done! That stuff stinks to high heaven. I am super optimistic that I can start priming this weekend. I sure hope so, I want to at least have that floor done when I move in this month.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:16 am 
Saggy Butt

That glitter floor! I think I need to do that in my living room :)

I moved in to my house over a year ago and I'm still unsure of what to do with my floors. Downstairs is concrete (currently covered in carpet) and upstairs is wood floorboards (currently covered in gross carpet) and it's riddled with wood worm and the boards are all uneven....some planks are even missing with just bits of mdf in it's place. I'm thinking the best thing would be to just buy replacement boards and paint over the floor as the previous owners GLUED THE CARPET straight to the boards, no underlay or anything.

Anyways, your ideas are inspiring :)