| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Learning to program advice?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:38 pm 
WRETCHED

brian wrote:
At least you're not using emacs.

word. I learned on vi so that is what I use whenever I can. I always thought vim was too colorful for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:14 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I finished the Dummies book. I just read/skimmed the last few chapters and didn't type in the code because I was getting bored.

I switched to the Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C Programming and Xcode and really love it so far. It starts out with plain C and is basically a review of what I went through in the Dummies book except each chapter has a challenge that is doable but not completely trivial (well the actual programs are still trivial, of course, but getting the correct results feels satisfying). There is also a small forum associated with the book that seems helpful should I (well, when!) I get stuck. I wish I could go back and smack my 20yr old self around a bit about sticking with things more!

There doesn't seem to be a decent app like the one I have in mind in either the iphone/ipad or the mac app store, so that's an encouraging bonus. There is one that is web only and one that looks kind of crappy and has a lot of user criticisms and complaints (though I feel silly saying that when I can hardly do better right now).

Vi gives me a blinding headache. I used to have to use it for some remote stuff years ago and hated every minute of it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:59 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

oh rad! BNR is pretty great, and Aaron's a super good dude!

why are you using vim and not Xcode? (I assuuuuume you meant vim, not vi. because who uses vi?!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:07 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm using Xcode now. I was just responding to what linanil said about using vi.

I'm loving this book! The challenges are super fun and I've been doing them pretty easily so I've been adding to them by doing things like asking for user input. Now I'm playing with the math library. I love that he shows where to go get help (ie the man pages). It wouldn't have occurred to me that of course there are man pages for everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 am 
WRETCHED

joshua wrote:
why are you using vim and not Xcode? (I assuuuuume you meant vim, not vi. because who uses vi?!)

I'm not a programmer but 90% of the programming I did in college was on vi except for when I took a class that used java on windows and I had to switch to visual studio. After college, I've mostly done scripting in support of my job, all in vi. It has been a few years though but if I ever try something new, it is in vi. Just habit.

And yeah LW, man pages are your friend :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:43 am 
Nooch of Earl

ed is the standard text editor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I know I'm going to need database stuff in a few of the applications that I want to write, and some of the geo stuff will link in with JSON things (USGS/NOAA etc all use that format, which I know nothing about except that it is related to java script, which I do not remember at all, and if I did, would be hopelessly outdated).

So I don't get burned out on objective-c, especially since I'm having serious depression related brain fog and lack of attention span, I want to start regaining my db skills. Which technologies are most useful and generic? (in addition to the nail polish app, I want to do a GED teaching app. I'll probably start with that since it would be super simple: few students, diagnostic and placement test scores, attendance, and basic lesson plans). XML? Or is something else better these days? I used to do a bit with SQL; I don't remember anything, but it can't be too hard to pick up again.

I signed up for the lynda.com free trial and am doing the objective-c videos. They are pretty good reinforcement of the books. It's only a 6 hr course, so just the basics, but it is nice since the IDE (Xcode) is so specific.

I like Xcode a lot. I'm already much more comfortable in it than I was when I started playing around with Java/Eclipse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:25 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

lavawitch wrote:
I know I'm going to need database stuff in a few of the applications that I want to write, and some of the geo stuff will link in with JSON things (USGS/NOAA etc all use that format, which I know nothing about except that it is related to java script, which I do not remember at all, and if I did, would be hopelessly outdated).

you're in luck as far as caring about data formats: NSJSONSerialization will do the heavy lifting, and convert the data into a dictionary/array for you. yay!

lavawitch wrote:
So I don't get burned out on objective-c, especially since I'm having serious depression related brain fog and lack of attention span, I want to start regaining my db skills. Which technologies are most useful and generic? (in addition to the nail polish app, I want to do a GED teaching app. I'll probably start with that since it would be super simple: few students, diagnostic and placement test scores, attendance, and basic lesson plans). XML? Or is something else better these days? I used to do a bit with SQL; I don't remember anything, but it can't be too hard to pick up again.

well, there are a few ways of looking at it.

firstly, the 'Apple' way of looking at it: it doesn't matter. you'll probably use CoreData for your data persistence inside your app (there are a few cases where you *shouldn't* use CoreData, but for 99% of us, CoreData is fine). on the backend (by default) CoreData uses SQLite, but generally you won't care. (there are some SQL performance considerations on some edge cases, but let's ignore those for now!). CoreData has optional backends for in-memory and XML, but it's all abstracted away to not really matter.

secondly, another 'Apple' factor, is that a lot of data persistence is easily abstracted inside of Cocoa(/Touch) so your consideration is more about the kind of data you have to persist (large blobs vs small bytes) rather than *how* to (de)serialise the data to the format etc. the actual API to write it out is often fairly similar, so you don't actually have to know about XML/JSON/whatever :)

thirdly, the 'screw Apple, I just want to have fun' point: for the most, there are two fairly distinct schools: relational and non-relational(/key-value) persistence. the actual backends (say, SQLite vs MySQL vs SQL Server) don't reaaaaally matter too much - most of them have an SDK for whatever language you're writing, many even having generic tools (Java has JDBC, PHP has PDO, etc). so if you want to get your hands dirty, pick whatever is easiest to get running :) I'd suggest SQLite, since it's so simple to get running. if you want to write out to XML/JSON, they're equally as simple! try both, then start adventuring out to MongoDB or something.

lavawitch wrote:
I like Xcode a lot. I'm already much more comfortable in it than I was when I started playing around with Java/Eclipse.

ah, you haven't used it long enough to hate it yet ;) I have a strained relationship with Xcode, but we make it work <3<3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks! I'll see what I need to start tinkering with SQLite. My nail polish app will need a good size db--check out the nail polish threads here if you want to see how out of control most of us are!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks for the codingacademy link, I'm addicted to it! I've tried intro to programming courses on Udacity and Coursera, but the video lessons lose my interest quite quickly. The codeacademy lessons are my perfect speed and I don't have to just sit there while I listen to some person talk in a video.

I'm a complete neophyte, and I decided to start with Python after several programming-type people suggested it to me.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com