| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: This Old House (the Home Renovation Thread)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Exciting, jopa! Fresh paint really does make everything feel better.

How big is the bathroom? If it's relatively small, putting down sheet linoleum DIY can be pretty cheap. You can get some decent colors/patterns and it might be an okay stop gap until you can remodel. I don't know if you want to change the cabinets, but I know a couple people who've had good luck with that Rustoleum (I think?) stuff that you can paint over them with. I think they make one for countertops, too. My friend redid a bathroom in their old house using that stuff and some new linoleum. It made a huge difference and only set her back a few hundred dollars (and lots of time).

Anyway, yay! House!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:57 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks!

I was thinking of painting the ugly lino, but when we talked about it, it seemed like too much of a hassle for a stopgap. As for the cabinet, I also am considering painting, and I just can't think of any colour or texture that would really be an improvement over what's there now. I'll have to continue mulling.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When I was renting I had this awful 70's coral pink lino in the kitchen, which I covered over with adhesive vinyl tiles (most big DIY stores sell them). They're not for heavy traffic areas but they're quick and easy to lay, and cheap. Good if you only want something for a few years until you can afford something more permanent.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:47 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Has anyone done any DIY flooring? I have gross shaggy carpet that I would really like to replace eventually, and I would like to do it as cheaply as possible.

I saw this brown paper floor:
http://lovelycraftyhome.com/2011/11/09/the-ultimate-brown-paper-flooring-guide/

I have no idea about the vegan-ness of any of the materials, but the finished product looks so great that I will have to look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:13 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I should really be posting before and afters of the stuff we're up to with our place! Fortunately for us our place was recently renoed in most aspects, but the bathroom was pretty gross - gross old mirror and gross towel bar - both of which were glued down and caulked in place. I ripped the mirror off (Trevor was terrified for my life, don't worry I wore safety glasses and gear) and tonight the grody 50-year-old towel bar is coming down. Mostly it's just been lots of cleaning because holy moly apparently the guy we bought from has lower standards of cleanliness for their living space than I do.

Toilet is also going to be replaced at some point - it's old, really short for some reason and let's just say it's not a flush capacity that's meant for, uh, vegans with healthy "movements".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:24 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we begin the renovations today!!

(our house is 3 years old but there were problems with infiltration because they didn't use a concrete liner when they poured the foundation pad, and we are putting glass blocks in the walls in the rooms that don't get much sun to try to address the mold issues).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

We're finally getting around to painting the feature wall in the sitting room. Man oh man do I hate DIY. And it's even worse when the person who's supposed to be helping does it really half-assed and doesn't care how it looks as long as it gets done. I'm taking a break from going back over the sanding that he did (because he used no force and didn't smooth anything) while he takes off the wallpaper on the strip between the doors without using the wallpaper steamer for whatever reason. I'll try to post before and after photos later.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have given up on the whole sanding back my bedroom floor thing. There are too many gaps and big holes that need filling with wood filler, plus it's coated in glue (the previous owners seemed to think gluing the carpet to the floorboards was an excellent idea).
So I'm going for the shabby chic look and painting it white. Wish me luck.

How did your feature wall go, Rachell?

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm finally forcing myself to tackle some of the house projects I've been putting off since we moved here two years ago. Last weekend I finally replaced four window screens that squirrels chewed through to get inside the house to try to steal my parrot's food. This weekend I replaced the old wooden steps leading from the back door that were getting scary rickety. I couldn't replace the risers or railing because they're basically embedded in the concrete patio, but I did manage to pull off the old crumbling stair pieces and replace them. So glad my dad taught me how to use power tools! Not that I'm very good at sawing things straight. Of course it took about three times longer than expected and I have a giant blister and strained my back trying to pull out old rusted nails, but at least now we can leave the house without fear of falling through the stairs.

Next up- some ugly tiles in the kitchen. Does anyone know if it's possible to just paint or collage over existing tiles and coat them with some sort of waterproof something? I just have a small row of decorative tiles behind the sink and while they're not AWFUL they aren't what I'd choose, and I'm thinking if I can just make them look better somehow that would be better than removing and replacing them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:05 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rust oleum do a tile transformation kit. Not sure how time consuming it would be compared to regular tile paint. Might be worth looking at some reviews?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:27 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

We moved about a month ago, and while some parts of the house are quite pleasant, there is SO MUCH to do.

So far, we've done the practical, un-sexy projects. We replaced all the downspouts so that they drain well away from the foundation and added gutters to the garage, which didn't have any previously. We put down cardboard to kill all the weeds in the overgrown garden patch in the back yard and pulled a bunch of shitty bulbs from the various beds around the property. We've also removed PILES of junk from the yard.

This weekend, we got started on our first fun(er) project: a deck! Our backyard has the garage (which is L-shaped) edging one side of it, and there's a solid concrete slab extending out from part of it, forming a little patio. It's well done and solid, but it's only about 6' x 8', so not that big. When we bought it, there was a wooden addition, extending it about 5'. The addition was rotten, so we demo-ed it, and we're now building an upside-down and backwards L-shaped wooden deck (when we're finished, the deck and garage together will be a rectangle shape).

We've got the understructure of the deck completed , and we should be able to finish laying the "floor" this week. It currently looks like a bomb went off in our back yard, but when we're done, it's going to look so, so much better and be so much more functional... just in time for fall.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

These are just a couple of many projects going on while we try to get our house ready to sell. Most of the projects were started when we were still planning on staying in the house, so I've had to rethink many of them in anticipation of them being more appealing to everyone, vs just us. I'm 98% done with the library. I have to do some crown on the bookcases, stain the desk top (bottom is done) and paint the walls (and over thanksgiving professionals will refinish all the first level floors in the house). Bathroom is done except for a few pieces of art needing to be hung.

Library before:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/aldenmackie/master%20suite/croomrdhouse-empty034_zps174ad2d5.jpg

Today (re moved the doorway over about 3-4 feet, requiring bookcases to be moved around - we wanted a desk in there, so I built additional bookcases to fit the space better and to acommodate a desk - after many tests, I managed to match the stain/poly to the point that I think even someone that knows would have a difficult time figuring out which parts are new and which are old):

The bathroom before:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/aldenmackie/master%20suite/croomrdhouse-empty032_zps335d42de.jpg

Today (we moved the wall over 18" between the bathroom/bedroom, making more room for the vanity/shower/tub and general walking space):

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:10 am 
WRETCHED

We might be psyching ourselves up for a kitchen remodel. I'd really like to get the floors done at the same time.

I kind of really like Ikea just because their stuff seems to be very space saving.
I like this coloring they have here:

Basically, grey cabinets with a light tile that has greyish specks in it.

Has anyone used Ikea before? Any tips in general on kitchens?

I would say my kitchen is medium sized in terms of space available but in terms of cabinets, it is probably small-medium. My ceilings aren't tall, which doesn't matter because at least I can get stuff from the top shelf at my height. I have a movable island in the middle of my kitchen but I am not sure I could have a built in island just due to the fact that the clearance wouldn't be that wide (no way I could get appliances in and out with an island).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Peeling wallpaper sucks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:25 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Woah, Alden, your bathroom is a dream! So beautiful, and such a drastic before and after.

I haven't done anything major to my house lately but I put some solar-powered fairy lights from Ikea in my porch eaves this weekend so that if I get home after dark without having turned on the porch light beforehand, at least I won't be fumbling around in pitch dark to unlock my front door (also, safety, etc.). I screwed the little solar panel to one of my porch posts with my power drill. It was really a small project but it met my houseproud quota for a while and got me struttin' again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:42 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

It's finally happened! My dad finished and installed my cutting/drafting table in my craft loft! Oh manohmanohman I'm excited to get work.

Here it is! Pretty basic but totally homemade and 100% awesome

Once it was installed, I gave it two coats of varnish since it's soft birch and I'm going to need to draw/cut/pin/etc on this surface.

As you can see, it folds down over the staircase and gets support from the banister. When I want to take it out of the way, I simply hinge it up against the wall and loop the rope around the hook underneath the table!

from the stairs looking up:

My dad is so damn stubborn that it was mostly him installing the whole thing with me standing around saying "are you sure I can't help? Are you sure you don't want me to do that?" Cause he's 70 and groans a lot. But at the same time, he's got Parkinson's, so seeing him active and doing something incredibly constructive was really encouraging, and he probably pushed himself knowing his time with these sorts of abilities is limited.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That is SUCH a creative use of that space!! Really well done!

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

that table is awesome, Erika!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:11 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Before it gets chilly and I hole up in my craft loft, my summer project has been to put a brick patio in my backyard. I'm doing it the extremely old-fashioned and hard way, just digging out the space in my backyard with a shovel. I'm hoping to even out the location and possibly even put in a drainage pipe and some gravel next weekend, pour concrete the next weekend, and lay the bricks after that. I'll have my mom's SUV for two weeks while my parents are on vacation, so I'm gonna be putting it to work hauling all this stuff between my house and the hardware store!

At first I was really romanticizing getting reclaimed bricks and laying them in a herringbone or other ornate pattern but the more digging I do and the sorer my back gets, the more interlocking paving stones are looking really good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:32 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Oh and I found another reason to hate the previous homeowners (in addition to the four inch deck nails they used to hang a door hinge): layers of paint in the backyard. In the dirt. As in "what do I do with this leftover paint? I'll just dig a hole in the backyard and return it to nature." Yoooouuu stupid dummies.