| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This Old House (the Home Renovation Thread)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:08 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I did start a DIY Floor Coverings thread but I think we need a general home renovation thread, too! I'm doing a bunch of stuff right now as I've just bought a house and am getting it ready for me to move in!

Pretty much this entire month until I can move in, my list includes scraping lots and lots and lots and lots of paint. About 5-7 layers of latex on all the doors and doorframes and horrible textured paint on every. single. wall. except the living room. Thankfully the new home is literally 10 minutes' walk from my city's newly re-built tool lending library! I am going to get out a heat gun (for the latex) and a heavy-duty scraper (for the texture) this weekend. I've already got my fancy breathing mask with heavy-duty filters! No asbestos or lead for me, thanks.

Unfortunately I can't paint until likely after I am moved in. I have to replace the entire foundation and that likely won't be finished until the first week I've occupied the house. My dad brought up the really good point that if the walls have had 100 years to settle, they're probably going to crack when they're put back in place over the course of a month! So yeah, gotta wait for that to happen before I can patch, prime, and paint.

Apropos: What kind of horrible monster attaches a door hinge to a door frame with A NAIL? This happened to me.

Post subject: Re: This Old House (the Home Renovation Thread)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

One of our issues (besides our floors), has been our walls. Bought house as repo so had to take what we got and work with it. In just one room, we had one wall which was fake stone mortared to wall, scenic wood panels glued on another wall, other two walls were diagonal t&g 1/4" pine strips also glued in place. Ceiling was fake white wood t&g. The effect of all this texture was dizzying.

We left the stone wall and ceiling textures (too much of a PIA to remove), but on other three walls opted to pull off the t&g pine and paneling, and put up new sheetrock over the messy wall surface left behind after removal of wood.

I use a minimum amount of mud, so sanding is kept to a minimum on seams. LOADS easier and much quicker than scraping old walls.

As for paint on woodwork, replacing it be easier? Otherwise, check out using a heat gun instead of scraping (see YouTube vids).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I got a heat gun out from the tool lending library I mentioned in the OP. This ain't my first rodeo!

I had, however, forgotten how mind-numbingly slow the process is. I've clocked in about eight hours on the heat gun & scraper so far, and although some of it is peeling off in big, intact sheets, I've still only managed to do about 1 1/2 door frames (out of 7 total). There's lovely redwood underneath but I think I am going to patch, prime, and paint.

My dad and I are uncovering a multitude of sins. Not least of which are the four inch nails in the aforementioned door hinge. I don't know how he managed to do it, but he got them out without damaging the door frame. My dad is a home repair guru! I'm glad he's helping me out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've never stripped paint and hope to never have to! It sounds absolutely awful!

We've been remodeling our house over the last three years since we moved in. It's going significantly slower now that we have a toddler (I actually got a lot done when he was an infant; go figure), but the only major things we have left to do are the kitchen and master bathroom. We actually are having someone do the bathroom for us and work starts tomorrow, so after two years of a totally gutted master bath we will finally have one again (we had water and termite damage so had to reframe the whole thing and replace a window, at which point we stopped)! It's kind of a big project, including quite a bit of plumbing, electrical, and widening one and moving another doorway, so I'm glad to just pay someone this go-around.

I did all the demo for the bath remodel myself, though (I will never pay someone to do demo or paint for me). Just finished up taking down the wallpaper, which I basically waited until the last possible minute to do. I had forgotten how excruciating that can be, especially when it's hung over unprimed wallboard.

Other projects I'm in the middle of: finishing freshening up our exterior (I'm done painting the house and just have to paint the white window frames black, but it's on hold until it's not so hot), and fixing up our back deck with paneling on the porch roof and staining the concrete. We're also slowly painting the interior window frames black. I manage to do one a month, maybe? This fall we also plan to do quite a bit of hardscaping in the front yard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:45 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I think that's what I'm headed for, mandycoot! I had so many ambitious plans when I first bought the house and now I'm like "ok, if I can just get the doorframes and doors stripped, patched, and primed; and the upstairs floor patched and painted by the time I move in I'll be ok." I don't know if I'll even be able to get that done! SO MUCH WORK.

But it's all mine, and that's what matters!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:40 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

After hours and hours of stripping paint, removing the door, putting the hinges back on wrong, getting my dad to fix it, re-hanging the door... my bathroom door not only closes, but it latches as well. Watch out, world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

That's so exciting Erika! We have some doors that are a little "off" that we've been meaning to get to forever. It will be a glorious day when we do.

We are in full-scale bathroom construction mode over here. Tile is being installed today and tomorrow. The crew took a break Thursday and Friday to get a long holiday weekend, which was great because I got a leisurely amount of time in which to prime and paint (even though we hired this remodel out we're still doing as much as we can ourselves to save money).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:25 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Just heard from my contractor, and my city (notorious for red tape) has issued the permits, and my new foundation work starts later this week. Such a huge relief to have that underway!

I love me some nice tile! Post pics when you can, Mandy!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:35 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I finally finished the second coat on our guest bath, and I have determined that painters use fairy magic to get clean lines. I taped around everything, used an edger when necessary, and I still have paint to clean off of the bathroom tiles and I need to go back in with a fine art brush. I was touching up the ceiling today where I had gotten paint on it and even with my edger (not the square brush, the metal thing you use to make barricade against your twitchy paint hand and the area you don't want painted) I kept getting white paint on the walls and having to quickly wipe it off.

However, the color is very pretty and no one is going to see it for awhile but us so i'm just going to put in my shower curtain and rugs and shiitake tomorrow so I can take a bath.

Also, in doing this I caused our toilet tank to start leaking through one of the bolts so we had to turn the water off and flush the tank as much as it would empty and then put a cup under the bolt. YAY.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:28 am 
Seagull of the PPK

one of the reasons i've been away from teh forum is work in this old house. we (i) refinished my mother's 25+ year old deck, which was crackety and falling apart.
we used one of the "miracle deck refinishing" paints and it is indeed miraculous. i had to strip and scrape and sand first, but it is really amazing that we now have a surface that looks like a composite deck where we had cracks and peeling before. also, added bonus is that the whole deck is now non-slip where it wasn't before.
we did use the orange paint stripper (citrus something) where we had 5+ layers of paint and at least 1 layer of stain. that stuff also worked much better than i expected.

next stop is living room makeover, which will have to wait a few weeks. carpet, paint, furniture. yeeha.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 am 

When my parents decided to remodel the living room of my childhood home, my dad removed the paint on the molding with a blowtorch.

I am not even kidding. My dad is forking nuts and thinks fire is the solution for everything.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 am 
Saggy Butt

Our master bath is almost done! I primed the trim and just need to paint it, and paint and hang the door/change the stock hardware. I'm hoping to be finished by this weekend. It's usable, though, and that is a glorious thing.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I finally finished the second coat on our guest bath, and I have determined that painters use fairy magic to get clean lines. I taped around everything, used an edger when necessary, and I still have paint to clean off of the bathroom tiles and I need to go back in with a fine art brush. I was touching up the ceiling today where I had gotten paint on it and even with my edger (not the square brush, the metal thing you use to make barricade against your twitchy paint hand and the area you don't want painted) I kept getting white paint on the walls and having to quickly wipe it off.

However, the color is very pretty and no one is going to see it for awhile but us so i'm just going to put in my shower curtain and rugs and shiitake tomorrow so I can take a bath.

Also, in doing this I caused our toilet tank to start leaking through one of the bolts so we had to turn the water off and flush the tank as much as it would empty and then put a cup under the bolt. YAY.

What kind of tape do you use? Frog Tape is the only one that works reasonably well for me, even though it's pretty expensive.

This might also sound crazy, but I have a lot better luck cutting in by hand without taping at all, or using those stupid metal edgers. The exception is that I always tape off the floor if I'm doing trim. But otherwise I feel like the tape gives me a false sense of security and I make bigger messes than if I had just been careful, or I inevitably need to touch up where the paint failed anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:39 am 
Lime and a Coconut

FINALLY here are the photos of my finished attic floor! These are all from the same angle/perspective so you can see the evolution:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That is AMAZING! Wow. I think I would have lost my patience somewhere around the third piece of tape. It looks incredible!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:48 am 
Saggy Butt

That is so, so cool! It must have been so much work!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 am 
Lime and a Coconut

IT WAS.

but so worth it cause it looks awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Whoa. That is totally sweet. Nice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:30 am 
Inflexitarian

i don't have a house to do reno in so i just read about it for now.
one of the blogs i like to read is door sixteen - http://www.doorsixteen.com/
she frequently posts about reno projects on her house - http://www.doorsixteen.com/category/the-house/ and apt - http://www.doorsixteen.com/category/apartment-brooklyn/

erika, i love your floors!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is my thread!
I'm moving in with my boyfriend in a month, so I'm trying to get the apartment ready for my big move! Of course I'm starting with the kitchen!
I got 5 of these babies delivered to my door today:

2 are going up over the kitchen counter on one side. I'm painting the kitchen white, because the people who lived here before us decided that dark blue was an appropriate color for the kitchen and I disagree - it's TINY and it needs all the help it can get! So I'm also painting the two bookcases that are going up in the kitchen white. I spent 200 dollars on paint today, so I hope I've got enough!

On the opposite side of the kitchen, I'm putting up 2 of these on top of each other, to make extra space:

I'm going to give them some paint in the same warmish white color I'm painting everything else.

This kitchen is one of the tiniest I've ever lived with, and it's so randomly put together - most of the kitchen is really old, but then it's been painted blue and white, and then there are a few completely random elements as well. I'm hoping to be able to make it all come together by painting everything the same off-white color, and adding new, old school handles, like these:

I'm kind of inspired by the Gropius House Kitchen, (only I'm going for a more classical, danish 1930's functionalist look):

I'll post pictures when it's not dark outside!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 pm 
WRETCHED

So not DIY but I just left my review on Angie's list for my contractor. They had very few reviews but mostly positive but also brief. I detailed our experience. I hate confrontation and I'm scared the owner will try to lash back at me somehow. They did screw up with us though and I think people should know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:00 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Smoothie, I love your kitchen storage and your inspiration! I need to whip my kitchen into shape but it's pretty big with lots of storage, so it's definitely taking a back seat to more urgent projects in my home.

I forgot to post an update but last week I had a pro come in and rehabilitate the the floor in the other room that used to be under carpet. The floor in that room (my future permanent bedroom) was a lot nicer than the attic floor, so rather than paint over it I wanted to make it really nice. And holy moley was it worth the money. I will post before/after pics soon.

Next step is tackling the textured paint (ugh ugh UGH) on the walls- once that's been sanded, filled, and sanded again, I can put down primer, paint, and (on one wall) paper. THEN I can move in! I'm going to paint the room charcoal/slate gray with accents of palest mint green. The paper that will be on one wall (behind the bed headboard) is this sexy number from Flavor Paper in Brooklyn. It's got bats! And Venus flytraps!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:30 pm 

Ohhhhh that is super cool! Are you going to put up the wallpaper yourself? Not to diss the DIY, but I can tell the difference between professionally put-up paper or not. The pros do it so seamlessly that you'll have trouble finding the edges.

I had to move out of the sun room because it has gotten really cold a good month early, I just moved into the tiny spare bedroom that we've had shut since we moved in and I am using a hodge podge of leftover furniture, which is fine. But now instead of looking at trees and birds all day, i'm looking at a white wall and it's making me nuts. I already moved all of my stuff in here so i'm not going to paint the room this winter, so i've been thinking up ways to un-depress the room that are cheap and don't involve anything major, and I decided i'm going to make a DIY fabric covered corkboard, but with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Quartet-12-Inch-S ... =cork+roll

Because pre-made boards are super pricey, and cork rolls is cheaper than that but these tiles are even cheaper and then I can cover each one with a different fabric. I've seen people make these backed with cardboard so they're more sturdy. Then there are some lightweight but ugly (black with contact paper on them) shelves downstairs, on whatever day it gets above 65 next week i'm going to take it out back and spray paint it after I peel off that paper.

The only real bummer is that I can't hang up curtains on the one window, because the entire top of this room has shelving going around it and it sits right on top of the window frame.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Smoothie, I love your kitchen storage and your inspiration! I need to whip my kitchen into shape but it's pretty big with lots of storage, so it's definitely taking a back seat to more urgent projects in my home.

I forgot to post an update but last week I had a pro come in and rehabilitate the the floor in the other room that used to be under carpet. The floor in that room (my future permanent bedroom) was a lot nicer than the attic floor, so rather than paint over it I wanted to make it really nice. And holy moley was it worth the money. I will post before/after pics soon.

Next step is tackling the textured paint (ugh ugh UGH) on the walls- once that's been sanded, filled, and sanded again, I can put down primer, paint, and (on one wall) paper. THEN I can move in! I'm going to paint the room charcoal/slate gray with accents of palest mint green. The paper that will be on one wall (behind the bed headboard) is this sexy number from Flavor Paper in Brooklyn. It's got bats! And Venus flytraps!

That is the best wall paper I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:09 am 
WRETCHED

I might post pictures of our remodel that is a few months old now. Basically, I wrote a review of the contractor on Angie's list and then the contractor contacted me. I was surprised that he wasn't aware that we weren't happy with the process. We talked some things out, he says he is doing some changes within his company, he is going to give us a credit for something that we were charged for and weren't told we were going to be charged for. He also wants a list of things that we want changed and he will send out his second in command (a vegan woman, she is awesome).

He sounded like he was willing to change anything we didn't like and wanted changed now. We didn't want to change any of the big ticket items because we think we can live with them as is (the vanities are a little taler and deeper than I'd like). He also said that if we do hire them in the future, he wants to hear from us on any problems. He had someone assigned to us but that guy dropped the ball and has been repositioned within the company. I'm glad that we can help them improve their business plus feel reassured that any future problems with our bathroom will be resolved.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SO close to being done with the kitchen! Just need to add one more layer of paint to the last cabinet door and then let it dry for a few days before I can finish with handles. I've basically spent my every waking moment outside of architect school on making this apartment functional and aesthetically pleasing, and i FINALLY moved my stuff in a few days ago, so this is a really big deal. Will post pictures as soon as I am done!