| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: This Old House (the Home Renovation Thread)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Ohhhhh that is super cool! Are you going to put up the wallpaper yourself? Not to diss the DIY, but I can tell the difference between professionally put-up paper or not. The pros do it so seamlessly that you'll have trouble finding the edges.

My dad awesomely offered to pay for a pro to install the wallpaper, so yeah, I'm going pro on that end! Considering I've done all the work on prepping the walls, I'm happy to hand over that one final detail.

Also considering I finally calculated how much I need and this G.D. wallpaper is going to cost me $650.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:08 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

FIIIINALLY wrote up a blog post on the bedroom, now that it's nearly done: http://www.sewsbeforebros.com/blog/bedroom-eyes

Wallpaper is up, walls/trim/door are painted, floors are rehabbed, curtains are sewn and hung, and shoes have been organized. I still need to do a closet door, some better closet organization, and a new quilt. But the big stuff is done!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oh! i never came in to tell stories about my house!

let's start with how there was insulation on only about half of the roof, so it'd be freezing in the winter and stifling in the summer. just this year (after living in the house for 9 years, and spending the most recent 2 years or so downstairs ever since hurricane sandy. the dying tree across the street was scaring the bejeezus out of me, so i felt safer downstairs in the guest bedroom/pantry overflow, and we just never went back up. we probably saved a lot in heating/cooling bills, that's for sure.) we finally looked in to fixing the insulation problem. i learned that NJ has a $5000 "rebate" program for people who are doing energy star stuff, and they also offer a 0% loan up to $10,000, so we jumped on that. because we have an "attic-like" 2nd floor (cape cod/bungalow http://www.energysmartohio.com/blog/how ... all-attics), i learned that "hot roof" insulation systems with traditional insulation don't work in my climate, but it'd be impossible to do a cool roof system, since that would technically take up the entire 2nd floor. so i decided to do the spray foam insulation. hoooooboy!

but!! that's not all! so since there was a partial hot roof/partial cold roof insulation situation for the past 50 years or whatever, when we tore the old insulation off, we discovered fungal growth and rot (on the part of the roof that was opposite the shower) at the junction of where hot roof met cold roof, since there were no baffles separating the insulation from the roof where it met there, and we also didn't have a roof vent. (hello condensation!) that was band-aided before we bought the house with insufficient rafter sistering and partial board replacement. (you could actually push the roof up a few inches that's how saggy it was.) sooooooo... then we needed to replace that section of the roof, and since we had to do that, we had all the shingles replaced while we were at it. (good thing for credit cards, eh? oh, and also hair selling and life insurance policies. :-( )

also, before we fixed any of that, the polar vortex caused some pipes to freeze since they run right next to the eaves, and we weren't heating upstairs, so that had to be fixed too.

did i also mention that before even the polar vortex happened, i signed us up for bath fitters? no? oh. well. yeah. but they can't come until we finish putting the walls in the bathroom back up. (we decided on concrete durock, since the drywall that had been behind the DIY surround plastic from the 80's or 90's was grossly moldy, and we figured it'd be better to do it right this time, even though the bath fitters should be effective, better be safe than sorry.) we're also going to put oil paint on the durock that isn't above the bathtub. i would not want to see eventual bubbles. no way, no how! (it would have been hulk smash time if that happened.)

so. now that we can actually use the void spaces behind the "knee walls" (that used to be uninsulated space. the link above has a picture of how it was.) there is going to be so much storage space up here!! just yesterday, we installed some particleboard to form the flooring in the new storage walls. next up, we have to trim the excess spray foam so the drywall and durock can go up against the rafters. (meanwhile, mr. carrot's firehouse buddy can help us with the electrical work.)

and just yesterday i discovered on zillow that a house just across the park in the next town over that has 4x the amount of land that we do sold for half as much as we bought this house for only one month after we bought our house and is currently worth twice as much as our house is now. oh no big deal. i don't have buyer's remorse or anything. (if only there was something like zillow around when we were buying our house. maybe i would have seen the opportunity.) would have could have should have. this is my house, i'm making the best of a ...situation, that's for sure. (i can only imagine how big my garden could be in that house. *sadface*)

next year if we can do it, we need to replace the "front lawn" retaining wall, since there never were any drainage holes, and probably no gravel behind it, so it's falling down. and the cracking back steps are (in places) made from plywood with a 1 inch layer of concrete, and the back patio thing drains toward the corner of the house next to those crappy steps. first things first. some stuff just has to wait.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:25 pm 
protein lump

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
FIIIINALLY wrote up a blog post on the bedroom, now that it's nearly done: http://www.sewsbeforebros.com/blog/bedroom-eyes

Wallpaper is up, walls/trim/door are painted, floors are rehabbed, curtains are sewn and hung, and shoes have been organized. I still need to do a closet door, some better closet organization, and a new quilt. But the big stuff is done!

wow! everything looks gorgeous! and holy shiitake, that wallpaper is the best!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Your floor looks amazing! I have the same kind of problem of a manky puke coloured carpet inherited from the previous owners but I think the floorboards underneath may be salvageable from looking at your photos :)

Also, that wallpaper is fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:44 am 
Lime and a Coconut

supercarrot wrote:
and just yesterday i discovered on zillow that a house just across the park in the next town over that has 4x the amount of land that we do sold for half as much as we bought this house for only one month after we bought our house and is currently worth twice as much as our house is now. oh no big deal. i don't have buyer's remorse or anything. (if only there was something like zillow around when we were buying our house. maybe i would have seen the opportunity.) would have could have should have. this is my house, i'm making the best of a ...situation, that's for sure. (i can only imagine how big my garden could be in that house. *sadface*)

yeah, but do you know why it was half the price? Could be it needed a lot more work than your current house! I got my home for a song (comparatively, for the area), but the entire foundation needed replacing, so that ate up all the savings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:22 pm 

that's a possibility, but i think the 4x increase in value might have been totally worth it. (besides, we've already sunk more than $30,000* into repairs here, so, even without taking into consideration the size of the land, even if that house needed $120,000 worth of work, we'd still be in a better situation if we had gotten that house. and there's still quite a few more expensive repairs that need to be done to our house.) you live and learn.

*potentially on the order of $40,000? it adds up, and 10 years is a long time to remember specifics.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:24 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I don't know if i'd put a ton of stock in Zillow, as soon as we moved in it said our house's value dropped $20k. We aren't THAT bad.

I really want to re-do our family room, because it's ugly puke green and the carpet in there is terrible, it's textured and gets a ton of foot traffic so not only does it need cleaned more than any other floor, but the brushes on the upright cleaner can't get down into the parts that aren't raised. The paint extends into the kitchen and would require being so careful and so much painters tape that we agreed that it's professional or nothing. I would rip the carpet out if I knew there were wood floors underneath, but they glued down all of the edges. The bedrooms all have wood floors (three have carpet, two don't) but the dining room doesn't (I lifted up a corner and peeked), so i'm not sure either way.

I am definitely going to re-do the smallest bedroom this summer though, it's the size of a large walk-in closet and there's no carpet so all I really need to do is paint it and buff the floor a little bit and re-seal it because it's a little worn. I was going to paint it orange but the ceiling fan in there is green and i'm not sure what I want to do less: match the paint to the fan or buy a new fan.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just installed new shelves in my bedroom:

They are AWESOME. This is a better photo of what kind of shelves they are (mine have black sides, not white).

We have so much stuff to do here, and I am so excited about my two month vacation because it means I have time to actually do it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:01 pm 

you can still do orange. throw some purple accents in there and you have yourself a tertiary complement scheme.

(i have light slightly minty sage trim around golden pumpkin walls in the living room, and i don't even think i have purple anywhere. i guess it helps that the trim is that light.) although now that i think of it, the door is a dark ever so slightly cherry finish, so maybe i lied.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:11 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Erika, that floor is so beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:35 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Here we go again...

I have decided I am now well-rested and my bones/muscles aren't hurting anymore, so it's time to start renovating my craft loft! (aka Croft). I moved all my possessions into the storage half of the attic or downstairs, and covered every window, banister, floor surface, and doorway with plastic sheeting. Saturday and Sunday I was rockin' with the 25 lb. 4x24" belt sander! I hope to finish up the belt sanding tonight, as I only have the stairwell to do now.

Such a pain in my ass- I'm glad I got the really tough parts out of the way over the weekend. The walls start to pitch in about 2.5' up from the ground, so I'm on my knees holding this heavy-ass belt sander above my shoulders at an angle to get all the walls/ceilings. Oh, and there is a window dormer on both the west and east sides of the roof, so more fun angles and hard-to reach spots there!

Overall I think I spent 4 cumulative hours, tops, using the sander, but the entire weekend has revolved around cleaning up after that or taking care of my body. Yesterday after an epsom soak, I iced my wrist for an hour! This home renovation stuff is not for sissies!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Spent this afternoon digging the broken electric fire out of the wall in the living room to find a partially hollow fireplace. I think it's got a flume built in so no open fires but the potential perhaps for a wood burning stove. Exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:17 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

After sanding off the worst of the textured paint in my attic, I did a skim coat with joint compound only on the perpendicular walls (not the pitched walls or the ceiling/any surface parallel to the floor). This weekend I sanded, tidied, and primed, and the coming weekend will see a final skim coat, sanding, and priming. Then paint, hopefully! I'm thinking yellow, with trim to match the lighter blue in the floor stripes.

I have come up with a grand idea for the ceiling, but I'm not sure how practical it is. I'm going to email my wallpaper guy since he seems artistic and up for a fun challenge and ask him if this is at all plausible. I want to buy rolls of cork (I've looked online, you can get rolls in many colors and thicknesses!) and put them, like wallpaper, on all the pitched/ceiling surfaces. That way it's soft when I inevitably bonk my head on the pitched walls (as I have many times already), but I can also use it as extra storage with pins and what not (ABOVE eye level!). I need to get an electrician in to add more light fixtures, so I'm thinking of having a cluster of lights on longer cords, like these, and I can move lights around and 'pin' the cords in strategic places on the cork.

Guys, my fantasy room is really nice. Too bad it's a dusty mess right now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Erika, that sounds so cool! I hope the cork is doable. All your projects are really inspiring.

I have the biggest painting itch right now and several rooms that need it, but I can't seem to settle on colors. I'm annoying myself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:47 am 

Erika I'm pretty sure your house is going to the coolest house ever once you're finished with your renos!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:40 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi
I know you have made your mind to paint your walls heavily. But I would like to show you an another way apart from this. You can use laminates on walls instead of painting them. Use kitchen cabinets. They will cover a lot of flooring and walls. It will again save you from painting it. If we talk about the expenditure then it will be almost same in both the cases. Good Luck!