| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sewing project without a sewing machine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm working on a Fionna from Adventure Time costume for myself and I want to make a backpack. I know I could crochet one pretty easily, but I think it'd look better made out of cloth. I'm not a sewer. I've only done stuff with iron on seam stuff to make costumes in the past, but I'm not sure it would work for this.

Do you guys think there's anyway I could make a backpack like this either sewing by hand or with iron on stuff. Doesn't have to be super functional. It just has to look pretty good.

Or, do you a crocheted one would look ok?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Sewing project without a sewing machine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am what I would call a beginner machine sewer. I have strong skills sewing by hand. I personally would not want to sew that backpack by hand. It looks like an intermediate machine sewing project, rather than beginner. If you have a vision and plan for crocheting that, I would go for it. A non-stretchy yarn would be great.

ETA: I have never used the ironed/steamed method of piecing that you mention so I'm no help there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:20 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I depends how much time you have to sew it by hand. It doesn't look impossible, if you have strong thick needles and lots of patience. I have made a similar thing out of fake leather and it wasn't so bad, just tough to sew.
The individual pieces seem pretty simple, the trick will be to get the round corners to stay nice and smooth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think you COULD sew it by hand, but it would take a way longer time than would be reasonable. do any of your friends or family have a sewing machine you could use for like, an hour? it looks like that's a super simple pattern and you could have it done in like 30 minutes with a machine!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:49 am 
Chard Martyr

Thanks guys! I don't know anyone with a sewing machine and I've never used one.

So, I'm thinking maybe I can construct it out of cardboard and then cover it in cloth. Since it doesn't need to be functional I think this will work. The only thing I'd have to sew by hand are the straps and I think that'd be fine. I also don't care so much about the rounded corners.

Maybe I'll start crocheting it and see how it looks and then decide which way to go.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but that doesn't look like it would take a stupidly long time to make by hand, I certainly think it would be quicker to hand sew than to crochet! When do you want to get it finished by?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If it doesn't have to be functional, the cardboard idea sounds great. You could use duct tape. Good luck! You'll have to post a pic when you're done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:16 pm 
Chard Martyr

I don't really have a goal for when to finish it. It's not even going to be my halloween costume. I just want to have it all done so that I can eventually wear it somewhere.
This is the character: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... 523523.png

I have blue shorts (cause i'm obviously not wearing a super short skirt like that!) and a shirt and the hat that was purchased for me as a gift. So i just need the backpack and then she also has a pink sword that i'm going to make out of cardboard and paint.

I think I'm having an idea for half sewing half cardboard. If i use a cardboard oval I could sew two half ovals together in the two greens and then sort of glue the edges around the cardboard and stuff it, so it looks like a backpack? I dunno. I'll come up with something!

My costume piece that I'm most proud of is this Leela cyclops eye! It's mesh so I could see through it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11435373@N ... 7886099067

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cute! (both pics)

ETA: did you make the boots too? They're great!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:26 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

you can try using foam & gluing it onto fleece, no snags and foam can bend into shapes!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:34 am 
So Totally Yiffy

A self-made backpack is a great idea, good luck with your project!

I didn't bring my (miniature) sewing machine when I moved, but I really feel like doing something ... guess I have a restless hands syndrome. Any further ideas for hand sewing projects ...?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ermegerd! my daughter makes the hats!! she's made about 4 already and sold them to all her friends***.
the backpack would be super easy with a machine but not too hard for hand sewing, i don't think. if you're using fleece it should be just fine. i went through a phase a few years ago when i was without a machine but sewed a bunch of my clothes. it's not a biggie once you get the hang of it.
i am afraid to ask this out loud but is this for the october con? (kid is hassling me to let her go. i don't think it's happening).
[if we can help just holler, i'd be happy to sew it up for you. we haven't been getting out much but i'll be in the city on oct 5]

Edited to make my daughter look like less of a dweeb: ***sold them to all her crazy adventure time cosplaying friends

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:55 am 
Tofu Pup

I am a beginner and new in this field. I need your cooperation to command on this skill. I am interested to seek strong skills sewing by hand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:00 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Where are you with this project now, ijustdiedinside? I stumbled across the idea of using a stapler to make quick soft goods prototypes and I thought it might work for you and your backpack. It would still be slower than using a machine, but I think it would be faster than hand sewing.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]