| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flip case for phone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Sooo, the new phone I have is still too small on the market to have someone out there making flip cases that would fit its dimensions, so I want to make one myself.
I have pretty much figured out how to make the outside, but I still don't know how to hold the phone to it. No one I know has a flip case for their phone so I can't see how they work in real life and the internet isn't helpful...

The only idea I came up with was to make a soft cover with edges like a fitted sheet, so they would cover just a few millimeters of the front screen's edges, and I can sew it to the back cover. I think if I use a strong enough elastic in the seam, it should hold pretty well.
What do you think?
Any other idea?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Flip case for phone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 am 
Inflexitarian

I haven't had a flip phone in a while but the fitted sheet idea sounds about right. The only other thing I could imagine is a thin piece of elastic that would stretch across the inside, but it would have to be thin enough that closing the phone would still work, and placed so that it wouldn't interfere functionally while you're using the phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It's not a flip phone, right? You just want a case that flips open, book-style? The ones I've seen for iPhones usually have pieces that hold the four corners - kind of like photo corners. But I think your fitted sheet idea would work, too, as long as it just barely covers the edge and is super snug.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

oops, I wasn't getting it. A flip case for a small phone. Totally unhelpful, sorry!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Are there non-flip cases for said phone? You could buy whatever seems thin, of a hard material, and takes up the least amount of frontal real estate. Then you could affix your fabric to that using fabric glue. I feel like 'fitted-sheet-style' is going to functionally impractical. I think the phone will be too heavy and you'll find it slipping off or shifting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

What Mars said. If you check out Etsy, you can see how people get a plain hard plastic case and then build a wallet/flip case around it. Kind of like this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Ohhhh thanks all! I hadn't thought of your idea Mars, good thinking! There seems to be one non-flip case existing for my phone, and there are instructions for 3D printing one (not that I ave access to a 3D printer, but options!)
I also like the Etsy cover, I'm sure I can mail them the dimensions and they can make it to fit.

Thanks ya'll!