| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freelance Graphic Design advice
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:45 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Hi! So I recently quit my job to focus on being an artist! (Yay! I'm nuts!) Mostly that is looking like odd jobs and freelance floral design right now. But! My mother has hired me to re-do her logo and design work, and as I'm doing it I'm realizing that I might need to figure out some best practices if I'm ever to offer these skills to someone in a more non-family, professional manner.

So for example - I initially picked out 8 different font combinations that I really loved, but a lot of them were quite similar. I imagine professionally that you might only show, what - 3 or 4 different font options? Ones that are each fairly distinct?

And then I drew up two different options for an image that would go along with the font in the logo. This felt about right. But then I thought of about a million different little finishes (lines/swoopy doo-dads/etc). This felt harder to pick how many of these to show. Should I perhaps really just pick my gut favorite few (3?)

I don't know, now I feel like I'm rambling and getting overwhelming with choices (also how I felt designing).

One more question though - does it seem reasonable to spend 16 hours designing *just* the main logo? I kind of see that and feel like that looks excessive - but I also might just be feeling judgmental of myself.

Post subject: Re: Freelance Graphic Design advice
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Well, 16 hours is a subjective thing, but you won't be able to earn a living wage at that rate. I used to find that design would take me as much time as I would give it. Deadlines help me focus my creativity though, else I just noodle around.

Graphic design is a tough gig these days. There are so many people from places like China and India who have first class skills and charge pennies on the dollar. This makes it much harder to bid for and win freelance gigs online. Or at least this was the case 8 years or so. I haven't done much since then.

You could also look into creating some nice series of floral illustrations for some stock sites. That could be a good way of building your portfolio and getting some references.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:46 pm 

Thanks, yeah I guess 16 hours felt a bit silly. Definitely lots of noodling around.

To be clear - I'm not looking to put myself out there as a graphic designer, like, online or random job bids or anything. These gigs will just be from myself networking, personal recommendations and to people within my own community - not my main gig by any means. So I'm not worried about bidding or really even buffering my portfolio.

Wanting to know more about what the interaction should look like once I've already got the job really.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:51 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Hey! Working graphic designer here (as my 9-5, don't do too much freelance these days). You're right on about giving them maybe 3 or 4 of the top choices. They should all be distinct enough to be totally different options, and then the noodling/finessing comes after one of those is chosen. Then you'd give different variations off that one. I would also be clear up front about how many rounds of revisions you'll be doing or you could get trapped in an endless loop of revising, revising, revising (been there - it sucks).

Also, 16 hours on one logo is, like, VERY reasonable. I've spent 40+ hours on a logo before! Logo work is hardddd so don't be tough on yourself.

Good luck and have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I wouldn't present more than 3-5 options. Any more is overwhelming. I'd make them quite different and then work on refining the chosen option. That's when I'd worry about color choices and subtle font differences. Less is more!

The more specific you can get before you start working the better. Ask for logos or designs they like. Have a color pallete in mind. You could set up a few Pinterest boards with a variety of moods and styles for people to look at.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:20 pm 

Cool - yeah, I like that idea about doing the noodling to just one thing in an initial round of choices. I definitely did way too many options, and now i'm regretting it because my mother (after whom the business is named) loves my favorite one, but her sister is a business parter and it's her LEAST favorite and I'm guessing my mum is going to compromise. Dang! I bet less choices would have helped there. (but oh well)