| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Art Supplies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I've been slowly trying to get back into doing art stuff. I went a bit overboard (who me?) and bought all kinds of things to try. I've been trying to check once I realized that veganness could be an issue, but I hit a new snag yesterday when I discovered some watercolor paper is sized with gelatin.

Does anybody paint? What paper do you use? I'm not buying watercolor paints right now--I know some brands use honey. I have some W&N watercolor markers and some Derwent Inktense pencils.

I'm not thrilled with the Canson watercolor paper, and Arches uses gelatin. Anything else, I have to order online.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Art Supplies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm a professional artist, and honestly, art supplies are probably the last area in my life that I haven't really considered the veganness of in very great detail. I won't use anything obviously animal based, for example, as much as I would like to try encaustic, I'm not going to because it's beeswax. I'm not sure how I feel about other things. It's difficult because there isn't clear labeling like there is for things like beauty products.

Anyway, I did find this list online which is helpful:
https://wavesandoceans.wordpress.com/ve ... -supplies/

I'm happy that the Doc Martins Watercolors that I use all the time are vegan! But sad that the Winsor & Newton Cotman watercolor paper isn't...I'm going to finish using what I have and then try Strathmore which is apparently vegan.

I want to try those Inktense pencils!

Post subject: Re: Vegan Art Supplies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks--that link is great. Depressing, but useful.

The Canson Mi-Tientes pastel paper has gelatin too. I have a few pads of that already because it's cheap and available. At least for pastel, I guess it's easy enough to make my own surface with pumice if I want. Assuming the pumice mediums are vegan...

Also gouache. Sigh. I was planning to get some W&N in a few months; I think they were one of the few that don't have honey. I love gouache. I'll look into the Daniel Smith Primatek paints because I desperately want those when I'm ready to try watercolor again. (Geologist me can't resist those). At least the W&N list doesn't include the watercolor markers or watercolor marker paper.

I feel like a bad person but I almost wish I hadn't read the bit about gelatin on the Arches order page at Blick. But, better to know than not, especially when I'm just starting to replenish old supplies and its therefore easiest to avoid.