It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Instead of reddit - or as a complement
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

B_A_D wrote:
Tzippy wrote:
B_A_D wrote:
To start out the easiest thing might be to change your default displays for comments AND threads to new.

How do you change the default display for threads?

Image I made in MS paint showing what I mean
I just book marked the new tab and use the bookmark, you can also change the comment preferences in the menu on the right upper hand.

Thanks for all of your help with getting people used the Redditing, B.A.D.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
Personally, I don't see preserving this one with its existing content as an option. You'd have to convince Isa to release the content to whoever and since she wants to create her own site to direct people to, I'm not sure that'd fly.

I doubt that it's a question of funds (Isa realizes she could crowdsource funds, I'm sure) or a question of help (I am certain if she just needed more mods, people would volunteer). Things have changed for Isa (for the better) since 2006 since I joined the PPK. I don't think she made this decision lightly or has not thought about options. In the end, it's her site and her board.

Lina is working with others on taking some of the useful, practical content to Reddit on a Wiki. FB allows for chatting and commenting. All of the professional librarian groups I'm in are on FB (we do have some list servs, believe it or not).

Setting up a new board is a quixotic option open to whomever wanted to try.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:47 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Vantine wrote:

Nice! I love quixotic!

Also, folks who are denouncing Reddit never having used it, give it a try.

Folks who dipped toes into Reddit but state they don’t like it, give it another try.

We are conditioned to not like change and I count myself among this. We also go through the range of feelings when getting bad news: Noooo! Denial! This can’t happen, and we cycle through until we get to: Acceptance.

I’ve seen this happen with any new iteration of software. “I liked it better before” — well, let’s all get to know Reddit and keep a vibrant community intact.

As for non-facebookers, I totally agree there. FB is a gold mine of data and drama. I mainly opt out of that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:35 pm 
WRETCHED

Vantine wrote:

How often do you get to use that word? But yes, I agree.

And yeah apparently reddit has some bad reputation, that I wasn't really aware of. I know a ton of people who use it with no issue. It does feel strange just because it is different but that should pass.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:55 am 
Saggy Butt

I was not thinking about transferring it (which could be hard since it's not "our" content) but starting a new phpBB board somewhere with a similar structure as this. With the normal board structure (which I personally much prefer to the rather chaotic reddit structure).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:42 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Vantine wrote:
linanil wrote:
Personally, I don't see preserving this one with its existing content as an option. You'd have to convince Isa to release the content to whoever and since she wants to create her own site to direct people to, I'm not sure that'd fly.

I doubt that it's a question of funds (Isa realizes she could crowdsource funds, I'm sure) or a question of help (I am certain if she just needed more mods, people would volunteer). Things have changed for Isa (for the better) since 2006 since I joined the PPK. I don't think she made this decision lightly or has not thought about options. In the end, it's her site and her board.

Lina is working with others on taking some of the useful, practical content to Reddit on a Wiki. FB allows for chatting and commenting. All of the professional librarian groups I'm in are on FB (we do have some list servs, believe it or not).

Yes, we do not need more mods. Most of what we do these days is deleting and banning spam - since it's not as busy as it once was (and in general people seem less confrontational), we pretty much never have to enforce rules or tell people to Shuttest The Forsooth Up!. Why, I think i've only driven one person off the boards in the last year! I'm getting soft*.

Please respect Isa's decision. Nothing lasts forever. Obviously anyone is welcome to make a free message board if they don't want to get on reddit, or facebook, or anything else but quite a few people rose to the task of setting up this new space and gathering info from here, and continually saying 'let's make a new board' makes me feel like their efforts are being ignored.

*Also forgetful, I can't even remember who annoys me or why anymore. Who are all of you people?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:
... quite a few people rose to the task of setting up this new space and gathering info from here, and continually saying 'let's make a new board' makes me feel like their efforts are being ignored.

Sorry if I contributed to you feeling like that, saying I'd be willing to chip in if that were an option. I can see the majority opinion is that it is not and I am very appreciative of your effort and that of others in setting up new spaces.

I'm slowly getting used to Reddit now (I think... although I seem to keep missing when new threads start on there), and will have to remember to check Instagram more often for all the new PPKer accounts I've started following there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:05 am 
WRETCHED

I knew this forum was in trouble when I noticed the other day (prior to the announcement) that the Foyer hadn't had any posts in 24 hours, which I don't think I've ever seen before. I've been part of forums in the past where splinter groups decided to make their own forums and those forums died out within a year or 2 but they served the purpose for the people at the time. I'm just cranky at the moment and I think if you want to go, just go, make a new forum, post the link here and stop trying to discuss it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I didn't mean disrespect to Isa's wishes or the efforts of those who set up the Reddit. I am grateful to you all. I think it was good to discuss this for a while so we could get a clearer idea of the situation and of what people wished. Now it is confirmed that a supply of money and time is not the issue, and we see most people are fine with Reddit, then I am ready to let the idea drop.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Vantine wrote:
linanil wrote:

Yes, we do not need more mods. Most of what we do these days is deleting and banning spam - since it's not as busy as it once was (and in general people seem less confrontational), we pretty much never have to enforce rules or tell people to Shuttest The Forsooth Up!. Why, I think i've only driven one person off the boards in the last year! I'm getting soft*.

Please respect Isa's decision. Nothing lasts forever. Obviously anyone is welcome to make a free message board if they don't want to get on reddit, or facebook, or anything else but quite a few people rose to the task of setting up this new space and gathering info from here, and continually saying 'let's make a new board' makes me feel like their efforts are being ignored.

*Also forgetful, I can't even remember who annoys me or why anymore. Who are all of you people?

You need a pillow with Shuttest The Forsooth Up! embroidered on it. I should get on that. Who are all of you people? should be on the back.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Minatomachi wrote:
I didn't mean disrespect to Isa's wishes or the efforts of those who set up the Reddit. I am grateful to you all. I think it was good to discuss this for a while so we could get a clearer idea of the situation and of what people wished. Now it is confirmed that a supply of money and time is not the issue, and we see most people are fine with Reddit, then I am ready to let the idea drop.

I agree to be honest. Isa's announcement took many of us by surprise, especially those of us who maybe are newer members and didn't see this coming. It's understandable to have a discussion on what's next and I really don't think anyone meant to disrespect Isa's - or anyone else's - wishes. Just, as can be gathered from the huge outburst of comments recently, this place was like home for so many people and has been for a long time, and it's totally natural to grasp for ways to preserve such a much loved place. No disrespect or anything was ever meant, I'm sure.