| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage hairstyling
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

[mods: this is about hairstyling techniques and products, so I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in The Mall. Feel free to move it!]

Hi all! Lately I've been interested in vintage hairstyling (1940s/1950s) and I'm currently learning the basics. I find dealing with my hair very difficult (I can't secure a victory roll for the life of me) and on top of that, finding good vegan hair products suitable for the styles I want proves to be nearly impossible in is country.

This thread is for sharing your experiences, favorite styles (1920s to 1960s), tips and tricks, product recommendations, and (of course) pictures. Do you use setting lotion or mousse? Do you use hot rollers or a curling iron and why? What's the best vegan hairspray for these styles? How do you prevent your hair from getting damaged? Please share!

Post subject: Re: Vintage hairstyling
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:03 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I used to do rolls and pomps a lot. A curling iron was more immediate for me than rollers to get a curve in my hair to set into a roll.

There are vegan pomades and stuff on the market. I personally like to use a good hair spray and dirty hair.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Dirty hair? Why?

Please post pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I faked fingerwaves in my hair for my sister's wedding by using hot rollers. After I took the rollers out, I brushed it out and used bobby pins to secure the hair where I wanted it. I think bobby pins are the most important thing you can have if you want to create a vintage hairstyle.

I fail at curling irons. The early 80's were a painful time...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 am 

Bun wrote:
Dirty hair? Why?

Please post pictures!

I do not have pictures - I mostly did it on the weekends in a rush just for fun.

Dirty hair grips and styles better. Clean hair has the tendency to slip out of rolls and fall flat. A teasing comb and as Vantine said bobby pins are good to have.

Have you checked out YouTube videos? They are the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:08 am 
Level 7 Vegan

That's interesting! I took part in a workshop to learn the basics (curling, teasing, applying lots and lots of hairspray - I failed at everything) but the hairstylist said clean hair is best.

Before I went to that workshop I watched several tutorials on YouTube but got too frustrated when trying things myself (various random objects were thrown across the room).

Re: bobby pins; I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but I find securing my hair with pins extremely difficult. When I was practicing last weekend I tried to do a pompadour on my forehead but no matter what I tried, I couldn't secure it. As soon as I thought I had put the bobby pin in the right place, the pomp fell apart. How do other people do it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:32 am 

I find dirty hair just grips and can hold a style with volume better. If your hair is super oily then dry shampoo helps, but since my hair is a combination of oily & dry in certain sections I find dirty hair is best for updos & teasing.

Here is a good read:
http://www.retrochick.co.uk/2013/06/06/ ... inic-hair/

Bobby pins hold best if you cross them from opposite sides to form a X to hold hair in place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks for that link!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35 pm 
Impressive boner

I got this book -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vintage-Hairstyling-Retro-Styles-With/dp/0981663915

It's really informative and I learned how to do victory rolls ,pomps, etc with it. You'd need two people to do a lot of the styles in it. The main thing I learned was to use pomade, curling irons (I use my straighteners for this as the curlers I have don't get hot enough to leave a lasting style) and to backcomb lots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I actually borrowed that book from someone, but everything looked way too difficult for me, haha. (This was before I did the workshop.) Good to know it you learned a lot from it! I'll have a better look this weekend and practice some more.

How do you use pomade? Like, at what point in the process (before or after curling?) do you apply it, and how much? I thought it was only used for "male" hairstyles (my boyfriend uses it). Do you use it instead of mousse/setting lotion?

Also: pics!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

I used to do "vintage" hair a lot a few years back. Let's see if I remember what I did:

I always washed my hair in the evening, so I would sleep in either bendy stick curlers or pincurls. I have thick hair, so I had to use a lot of sticks or clips, but this varies a lot for different people. I used a setting lotion.

Day 1: Take out the curling things and brush, brush brush, apply pomade, brush some more. Then I would wear it loose and curly that day. Lots of hairspray. In the evening (ideally) I rolled it dry with clips - much faster and easier to roll it when it's already curly.

Day 2: If the curls looked good, I just wore it down again, but if they didn't (usually) I made victory rolls and wore the back down. The key for me with victory rolls was to have my hair cut the right length, no longer than chin length in front. And curling, with straight, slippery hair like mine it was really difficult if I didn't curl it.

Day 3: victory rolls and a snood, wash in the evening.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:12 am 
Level 7 Vegan

That's dedication, amonik!

I've been practicing but it's been super frustrating. Everything I try looks terrible. I did try the pomade and that makes my hair much more manageable when trying victory rolls, but I can't get the rolls to be even or smooth, securing them is a nightmare as they fall apart after I let go of the hair. The outer layer of hair on the side of my head keeps sagging down and I can't get it to stay taut.

This is honestly the best I can do:

Yes I'm super embarrassed by that picture but I do want to learn. What am I doing wrong?