| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me pick a dish for a family potluck/party
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

My grandparents are celebrating their wedding day, and the whole family (40 people or so) will come to the party. Since they are rather thrifty, everyone will bring some food to share so they don't need to pay for catering.

My mom and I will make one or two veggie dishes, mainly so she, my partner and myself will have something to eat, but also to share with interested omnis.

I'm thinking maybe a potato or bean salad and some fingerfood like stuffed peppers or samosas. We will prepare the food in the morning before the party, so I'd prefer items that come together quickly. Also, we'll be in my mom's kitchen, in a part of the country where vegan supplies are few, so I'd rather not use to many hard-to-find ingredients, since I would have to bring them on the train. At the party we'll have access to a microwave if stuff requires reheating.

Help me decide what to make!

Post subject: Re: Help me pick a dish for a family potluck/party
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Stuffed mushrooms would be a great finger food option. You can just stuff them with diced onion, garlic, the stalks diced up, bread crumbs, and herbs all cooked up in olive oil, then re-heat before serving. I think making a been salad is a great idea so you will be sure to get some protein. Samosas are delicious, but seem like a lot of work for your situation, and I think they'd get soggy re-heated in a microwave.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Good call on the protein.

For the samosas, I was thinking about cheating and using storebought vegan puff pastry (which you can buy in almost any store in the Netherlands) and baking them in the oven. Not very authentic, but still tasty, and I guess most of my relatives have never had a samosa in their life, so they won't be comparing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:12 pm 

Anything wrapped in puff pastry is always a big hit with my friends and family. We can get vegan puff pastry pretty easily at most stores in the States too! (Pepperidge Farm if any fellow Americans need to know).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Ooooh the local Ethiopian place does sambusas - little pastry triangles stuffed with a lightly spiced lentil filling. It is divine and I like it more than the peas and potato samosas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I found this lentil sambusa recipe. That looks good! (And better on the protein side than samosa stuffing) I'll have a chat with my mom about what she wants to do.

For a salad, maybe we'll do a tabbouleh with couscous, chickpeas and veggies. There is some protein in there and the omnis I've fed it too so far have loved it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

The party was yesterday. It turned out it was held around a big party tent on my uncle's tiny dairy farm...

It went really well though, in the morning we made the puff pastry lentil sambusas and a big salad with couscous, bell peppers, cucumber, chickpeas, olive and walnut pieces and a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mint and parsley. Our food was by far the spiciest fare on the table, but most people loved it. Even my grandparents each ate half a sambusa, and although they didn't really like the taste (they are very traditional meat and potatoes people), I think they enjoyed eating something that I made.

There was also an accidentally vegan soup, another salad and a sundried tomato spread we could eat, so that was unexpectedly good. They served a fruit salad for desert, so we had that too.

I was a bit worried about how our new-found veganism would be received (being on a dairy farm and all), but I just didn't talk about it with my farmer uncle (I saw him eat a sambusa too, he probably didn't even realise it was vegan/vegetarian). Many other people were interested in our food and I got to talk about it with them. I've been vegetarian for as long as they can remember, and they have always thought I was a bit weird, mostly in a good way. So I guess veganism is just another thing added to the list of my pleasant oddities...

Anyway, thank you guys for the good advice. It's always great to have the ppk to fall back on!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 pm 

Yay for success and thanks for reporting back! It's always so nice to hear how things work out for people after they ask for advice. I have to work on remembering to do that myself!