| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New + Improved VegWeb!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:47 am 
Saggy Butt

Am I just really behind in the vegan world or did Veg Web just get a massive update?!

I hadn't been on in a while but it now looks great- so much more modern, easy to navigate and useful than before. I've always appreciated the "Cookbook lab" forum for reviews of individual recipes from cookbooks but it's now so much nicer to use :)

Do you like VegWeb?

Post subject: Re: New + Improved VegWeb!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:45 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh wow. It does look a lot better. VegNews acquired the site in 2010 but it took them forever to implement a new design. It's gotten a little cheesy but that's to be expected.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:36 pm 
Huffs Nooch

It's definitely more user friendly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Nice, thanks for sharing! That is a vast improvement.

eta: The recipe section is so pretty!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I haven't been on in ages but it looks nicer. I wonder if there will be any more quality control for recipes etc?

I love all the nice fancy photos etc but part of it's charm was the gritty made this at 3am and posted the recipe aspect.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:19 pm 
Huffs Nooch

It's pretty. I do miss the most recently reviewed reciepe list, however.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I hadn't heard about the updates before now, but it looks great!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:41 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Spiffy! And I like that Laura Beck from vegansaurus is running it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh wow - it looks great!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

Laura Beck has been running it for a while and the VegWeb site change just happened. I don't use VegWeb anymore since they knowingly put all of their users at risk and lied to them. They've been beta testing for at least a year and kept telling everyone that the website was coming very soon and yet it never did (more like over a year later). Their website gave users computers virus(es) that completely destroyed their computers and all of their files. VegWeb was notified about a million times and their answer would be, "Woops, well the new site is coming soon! Promise!" They never let anyone know about the viruses and while they knew that it was continuing, they kept posting on Facebook to get people to come to the site. Many users continually notified them that they couldn't even get on the site because they were routinely getting malware warnings and again, VegWeb did nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:04 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Laura Beck has been running it for a while and the VegWeb site change just happened. I don't use VegWeb anymore since they knowingly put all of their users at risk and lied to them. They've been beta testing for at least a year and kept telling everyone that the website was coming very soon and yet it never did (more like over a year later). Their website gave users computers virus(es) that completely destroyed their computers and all of their files. VegWeb was notified about a million times and their answer would be, "Woops, well the new site is coming soon! Promise!" They never let anyone know about the viruses and while they knew that it was continuing, they kept posting on Facebook to get people to come to the site. Many users continually notified them that they couldn't even get on the site because they were routinely getting malware warnings and again, VegWeb did nothing.

+1

They are going to have a hard time coming back from this. No amount of fancy new site design can make me want to invest any time posting recipes or contributing to their forum with this track record.

Luckily I did not suffer any ill effects from the malware issue, but it was aggravating to not be able to access their recipe database on and off for a month or more when I had come to regard it as a useful source of vegan recipes.

Also, I don't find their site design all that exciting. It seems outdated or something, and does not seem to offer more functionality that I can tell.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I like it. Seems like they cleaned up some of the comments. Not everything is there though. I can't find an old candy recipe I put up there, which is odd because it was pretty popular and was even recipe of the month or something featured on the home page one time around Valentine's Day.

Sucks too because I no longer have the recipe. I hope I can recreate it though, I think I basically just toasted cashews & shredded coconut in a pan with butter, vanilla and cinnamon then stirred it into melted chocolate. Made them into balls and let them harden in the fridge. They were so simple but really yummy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:19 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Mr. Shankly wrote:

Well then.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, I just read the above two posts. That's right, I had forgotten I'd gone there a couple times and gotten a warning message. Luckily I guess my computer geek husband keeps the laptop up to date with good protection so it didn't affect anything. That sucks if it ruined some people's computers though. They should have warned them or fixed it or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:21 am 
Tofu Pup

Hey Guys!

It's Laura from Vegansaurus + VegWeb under my new PPK account name because I forgot my old name AND the email address I used because I'm an idiot. Alright, now that that's cleared up and nobody cares.

Thanks for all the nice things everyone said about the new VegWeb, it's really warmed my cold heart to see how awesome the response is! As Mr. Shankly so rightfully pointed out, it took a LOOOOOOOONG (LOOOOOONG) (really long) time. We suffered basically every set back on earth up to and including fires, deaths and complete collapse of several sets of servers. However, we'd actually only been in beta for three weeks when we soft launched the new site... we'd been trying to GET to beta for a long time (almost two years, actually) but had a string of issues that were pretty difficult to overcome, and are too numerous to mention and pretty boring to everyone else. I cannot tell you how awful everyone who works on the site feels about the malware and spam, we were targeted pretty badly and went through quite a few programmers trying to take care of it, being assured the site was clean and then getting hit again. We finally found someone who could handle it but by then, it was too late for many of our users, and I cannot tell you how bad I feel about that, SO FREAKING BAD. I can tell you that every single time we said the website was coming soon, we really believed that we'd reached our final hurdle, just to find another layer of issues.

I know no amount of apologizing is going to bring some people back (rightfully so) but I just wanted to say that this entire process was trying. Everyone who reached out to talk to me about it, I hope that I helped, but I'm sure there are people I missed, or who that wasn't enough for, and I understand and again, can't apologize enough to. The good news is, the new site is up, were working hard at every turn to make sure it's awesome and we're really proud of it! And so excited to share it with you all, and hope you'll still consider VegWeb a good resource to turn to sometimes!

Annnnd, I'm gonna look into the missing recipe! What's your VegWeb name?? We still have some data to migrate over (some of the code from the old site is... well, it was built in 1996) so the migration has been a... challenge. Anyway, we still have everything and are busy bringing over the chunks we missed, so I'm sure we'd get to your recipe at within the month BUT let me expedite the process!!

If there's any other thing I can help with, let me know at laura@vegweb.com! Seriously, we're looking for feedback—we know an attractive, easy-to-use VegWeb was a longtime coming and we want to deliver!!

Okay, yes, much love to the PPK, one of my favorite places on the internet, and thanks for all feedback, good and constructive, and sorry for this million pages long post and yes, <3333

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:10 am 
WELFARIST!

mrpenguino wrote:
I know no amount of apologizing is going to bring some people back (rightfully so) but I just wanted to say that this entire process was trying. Everyone who reached out to talk to me about it, I hope that I helped, but I'm sure there are people I missed, or who that wasn't enough for, and I understand and again, can't apologize enough to.

This is exactly why people keep getting angry at VegWeb. Instead of the site owning up to what it did which was knowingly keeping its site up when it knew it was riddled with viruses, was actively harming your own users computers, all while you were still recruiting people on the Facebook page to visit the website. The website giving visitors viruses isn't a one-on-one user problem, it's something you guys needed to address as a whole. Instead of actively recruiting people to visit your website, you could have just as easily prevented and protected your users by warning them about the viruses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:44 am 

When it became clear the malware issue was not resolved, the website should have been disabled until it was completely fixed, so that it couldn't harm anyone's computer. I'm not sure why it stayed up for more than a month when it was being labeled as an attack page almost every other day. After the 2nd or 3rd time, you'd think someone would get the picture that a complete overhaul was needed. The explanation just doesn't fly.

Laura, I'm sorry you had such a hard time, but I hope you can see how it would be difficult to trust that VegWeb will be safe and well maintained. I hope you can learn from what happened and make peace with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I haven't had any issues with malware on VegWeb, but I can see how actively recruiting people to an insecure site would be frustrating. You gotta remember that when site's lose their traffic, the value of their adspace goes down. Less impressions per day = less money for VegWeb. And that means no VegWeb and quite honestly I think VegWeb is a the best recipe source for new vegans who aren't familiar with vegan blogs and cookbooks. I recommend it all the time. I haven't used it in a while, but I look forward to being more active with the new layout.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Mr. Shankly wrote:
mrpenguino wrote:
I know no amount of apologizing is going to bring some people back (rightfully so) but I just wanted to say that this entire process was trying. Everyone who reached out to talk to me about it, I hope that I helped, but I'm sure there are people I missed, or who that wasn't enough for, and I understand and again, can't apologize enough to.

This is exactly why people keep getting angry at VegWeb. Instead of the site owning up to what it did which was knowingly keeping its site up when it knew it was riddled with viruses, was actively harming your own users computers, all while you were still recruiting people on the Facebook page to visit the website. The website giving visitors viruses isn't a one-on-one user problem, it's something you guys needed to address as a whole. Instead of actively recruiting people to visit your website, you could have just as easily prevented and protected your users by warning them about the viruses.

So, what would you like besides an apology and a personal offer for additional assistance upon request?

I understand people being mad about the site, but at this point, it seems like just saying "what they did was bad" isn't going to accomplish much. It sounds like they've acknowledged and apologized for the problem, and this now seems like a great opportunity to move forward and improve things, so personally, I think energy would be better spent on that at this point. I don't know what people boycotting the site or shiitake talking it on the internet will accomplish...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:00 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Agreed. I think it was super nice of Laura to pop in and explain the situation. Obviously VegWeb didn't intentionally or maliciously harm peoples' computers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

Parts of the old website still exist and even now people are still getting virus warnings from VW. Some people are boycotting the website because they didn't care that their users were getting viruses and other people simply are too afraid to go onto the website because their computers have already been harmed by at least one virus from VW. It's not like this happened for a couple weeks and a few users computers were harmed; this has been going on for a year and tons of users have either gotten a virus or have received virus warnings. I know of at least two users on the forums were posting every time they received a virus warning and that was a year ago. Once those posts started, other people acknowledged that this was happening to them as well until the problem progressively got worse. If you're fine with a site knowingly harboring viruses and actively recruiting people to its site even though on both the forums, Facebook page and I believe Twitter, as well, were notifying VW of the problems and getting progressively angry by the way they were doing things then that's fine. By all means, visit the website. But I'm telling people about the viruses because VegWeb isn't and this problem is still occurring; your computer could get a virus from this website. I personally, along with many other people believe that is grossly unethical, but if you don't agree, that's fine. What myself, and various other users are looking for, is an acknowledgment about the problem and the mishandling of it and whether or not the site is safe now and what they plan to do about the virus that's still occurring on the old site. That's not too much to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:42 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I see - it wasn't clear from your earlier posts that the problem was ongoing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 pm 

Seriously? The problem has not even been resolved? Thanks for the info, Mr. Shankly.

Laura, can you explain what is being done to fix this and to prevent these problems in the future?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:40 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I still get virus warnings as of yesterday when i went on there

I can use from home since we have really good virus protection, but I wont touch that site at work. Very rarely at home either, unless it is on my Ipad

It does look good though. My fav. part of the site has always been the recipe reviews, and in the forum, the cookbook reviews. Very well organized and put together. Kudos to the folks that do the cookbook section of the forum (although I couldnt access yesterday? not trying from work!!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oooooh cool! I def stopped using vegweb for a while due to the issues on the site. But I'm glad to see it's back and new and improved.