| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New + Improved VegWeb!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Mr. Shankly -- the old site is down, and has been since last Thursday evening... please let me know who is still seeing it because that's a big issue. It's been moved to an entirely different URL to save for future migration. I'm genuinely worried about this. I will also run this by our programming team. The current site is as safe as any other site on the internet, with state of the art security that I don't understand at all but is apparently the best in the biz.

I did want to point out that we never deliberately lied to anyone, we had a series of programmers who worked on the site who promised us eradication of spam and malware but couldn't reliably deliver because they didn't understand the magnitude of the issue, so every time we posted or tweeted about the site, we did genuinely believe that it was virus-free. We finally found a programmer who really could take care of it, but by then we stopped tweeting and posting links because we knew it was too dangerous. Agreed that it took us way too long to stop posting and tweeting, but we really believed with each claim of virus-free that we really were, and I think yeah, we were just too naive, and the responsibility is all ours. We should've probably been more proactive on FB and Twitter... hindsight is 20/20. It was a lapse and mishandling on our part, and one I feel awful about. We haven't yet returned to posting to those sites until we're out of soft launch because we want to be extra careful.

Anyway, I hope that helped, and thanks for all your feedback, it's really good for us to hear all of this, and so thanks to everyone for speaking up. I'm sorry there's so much anger, and I know that's largely our fault, and if you don't find your way back to VegWeb, I apologize again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

Chicki -- so you're getting warnings but you're seeing the new site? Have you tried clearing your cache? Let me know if that works, because I just checked and our new site is 100% clean so I imagine that's why some people are getting warnings still. I've also emailed the issue to our programmers and will respond if I hear anything differently! Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I actually got a warning about the site from my job today too.

It was fine when I accessed it on my phone, and from home, but the job still gave a warning message that the site could harm my computer.
I just started working there 1 month ago and hadn't gone there yet, so I don't think it could be a cache issue.

Edit: My computer geek husband just said my job probably has the site on a list from before (even if I didn't access it) so that's why I still see the warning.

In any case, I hope everything gets cleared up! I met my husband through vegweb so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Last edited by Aubade on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm so glad VegWeb is back! It was so helpful to me when I first went vegan (back in the proto-blog days) - so many recipes and techniques and feedback all in one place. Eight years later, it's still my first stop for recipes!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

Yay, laura8bit! I hope we can return it to its glory days. I know we've got a ways to go, and have MAJORLY stumbled along the way, but we are in it to win it!

Lubes With Earth Balance (HA!), yeah that's what we're thinking, it's just gotten on some lists and it's going to take awhile for it to get off of them... we're submitting our clean bill of health to everyone and their mom so hopefully soon. But I got confirmation from our programmers that everything's good, so anyone receiving that message it's from previous issues, and nothing to do with the new site. More importantly, that's awesome about meeting your husband through VW. It's the best news I've heard all day, and it's been a loooooong day!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ooh, yay! I'm so excited for this. I know it's a bit silly, but I will basically avoid using a website if it isn't easy on the eyes.

Laura, thanks so much for posting here to answer people's questions. <3

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 am 
WELFARIST!

mrpenguino wrote:
Mr. Shankly -- the old site is down, and has been since last Thursday evening... please let me know who is still seeing it because that's a big issue. It's been moved to an entirely different URL to save for future migration. I'm genuinely worried about this. I will also run this by our programming team. The current site is as safe as any other site on the internet, with state of the art security that I don't understand at all but is apparently the best in the biz.

I did want to point out that we never deliberately lied to anyone, we had a series of programmers who worked on the site who promised us eradication of spam and malware but couldn't reliably deliver because they didn't understand the magnitude of the issue, so every time we posted or tweeted about the site, we did genuinely believe that it was virus-free. We finally found a programmer who really could take care of it, but by then we stopped tweeting and posting links because we knew it was too dangerous. Agreed that it took us way too long to stop posting and tweeting, but we really believed with each claim of virus-free that we really were, and I think yeah, we were just too naive, and the responsibility is all ours. We should've probably been more proactive on FB and Twitter... hindsight is 20/20. It was a lapse and mishandling on our part, and one I feel awful about. We haven't yet returned to posting to those sites until we're out of soft launch because we want to be extra careful.

Anyway, I hope that helped, and thanks for all your feedback, it's really good for us to hear all of this, and so thanks to everyone for speaking up. I'm sorry there's so much anger, and I know that's largely our fault, and if you don't find your way back to VegWeb, I apologize again.

I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I saw the Facebook post about the viruses and that is exactly what we wanted. I think a lot more people are going to be on the new site now and give feedback because they know that the new site doesn't have viruses. I'll tell people who run into pieces of the old site or who get virus warnings to contact you. I understand what happened and I understand hindsight, so I understand how this progressively built up into a mess, especially as users got more angry. I can only read my posts the way I wrote them so I really want you to know that I was really angry about the situation but if the site is virus free I will still use it. I completely stopped using old VW because I was getting malware warnings so I didn't plan on using the new site. Again, thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Mr. Shankly -- No, thank YOU for sticking around, I hope the new site will continue to improve and do right by you and all of our awesome members. Thanks again for your honest feedback!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks so much for popping in, Laura!