| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My boyfriend is going veg, I need more protein!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:20 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

OMG PPK, my beautiful, amazing boyfriend announced to me, after always saying that he would never go veg, that upon reading "Debt" he's realized all his reasons for eating meat are weak, and he doesn't want to do it anymore! He recently moved in with me, and I keep a strict vegan house, and he mostly eats vegan with me so we can share anyway, but he doesn't want to do it anymore at all!!! I'm so in love.

He's currently still OK eating dairy and eggs from time to time, but since 90% of his meals are with me, and therefore vegan, maybe he'll start to think his reasons for eating those things are weak too. Either way, he's a really active, very thin, guy who is used to eating a pretty traditional latin diet and needs some more hearty fare. I'm in the early phases of recovering from ED and still tend to be uncomfortable with a lot of "heavier" foods and my meals of massaged kale and raw wraps aren't quite doing it for his hunger levels. So, tell me, what are your favorite higher protein, but not too heavy or fatty meals. I love cooking for this guy and don't like that he's feeling hungry! I don't really do a lot of soy cheese or processed stuff, so... aghhhh! help! I don't really want to feed him Gardein :/

My meal plan for this week is

Dinners
Chickpea Picatta with quinoa noodles and cauliflower
Kale and Potato enchiladas with rice and beans (potatoes are a big trigger scary food for me, so I'm trying really hard here!)
Green salads on the side

Lunch
3 bean salad
Quinoa salad
Massaged Kale

Snacks
Hummus
Chips and Guac
Raw Trailmix

Breakfast
Fruit with coconut kefir, granola and hemp

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: My boyfriend is going veg, I need more protein!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:40 pm 
WRETCHED

Really what you will want to encourage is some more fattier meals for him. Avocados are great for that. Beans are pretty hearty and if he is latino, he is probably familiar with beans. What does he like to eat? Anything he doesn't?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

Seitan Sausages cooked in a variety of ways, TVP in a hearty stew or chili, and VWG/bean Cutlets are all protein laden and have a real manly bite to them. Make him a pizza with sausage, tvp pepperoni, and marinated tofu -- thats a lot of protein and he will swear it has actual meat on it. TVP is also really good in tacos along with some beans and veg...very yummy, filling and satisfying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think your meal ideas sound super satisfying and hearty, no matter who is eating them! In fact, the potato and kale enchiladas alone are enough to keep me full for hours, as well as my 200-odd pound husband, and we both have good appetities. Adding the rice and beans would be more than enough for anyone, on any eating occasion, I promise! And adding noodles with the chickpea picatta is a smart move, too. Also, i have made the enchiladas before with broccoli raab in place of the kale, it really makes them "meaty"!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I don't think there's anything he won't eat... But he really doesn't like meat substitutes, and is not happy with my meal preference which is pretty much raw salads all the time! Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement on the meal plan... I'm really loving having someone to plan and cook for, it makes the amount of time I spend in the kitchen seem even more fun!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:14 am 
Chard Martyr

Hi, it's so great that he is attempting a veg diet. But honestly, if you are in the early stages of ED recovery, you should really try as hard as you can manage not to take on the role as full-time cook in the house. Or if you do--make it something you do together, and don't obsess over it! Raw salads all the time isn't a great way to recover from an ED, and to be honest, your recovery is more important than your BF's transition. However, I think it is great that you are challenging yourself with what were once trigger foods, and your menu looks great--if a little sparse on the calories. Recovery first! <3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm with Vijita on this one - i'm recovered from an eating disorder and have been for several years - and it really meant I had to step away from the obsessive planning and cooking at home for quite a while.

that being said, i'd say that things like guacamole, refried beans, lime rice, lime tofu, chili, mole, tortillas, fajita veggies etc would probably be right up his alley.
asian food is also wonderful - noodle salads with tofu, vegetables, roasted sesame oil and cilantro are great. so is japanese rice with topping made from roasted sesame seeds, a bit of sugar, dried chili and ground nori. eat with sides such as pickled baby ginger, tsukemono (japanese pickles), miso soup with silken tofu and the likes.

but really - consider that he is an adult, who is fully capable of taking care of his own meals - if you want to help him out, get him a cookbook and teach him some good recipes!

good luck on your recovery - it is the hardest and most amazing journey i've ever taken in my entire life. at times it seemed like i would never get to the point of things working out easily, but i did, and i grew so much from the experience. now when i wake up, i feel GOOD and happy. you can get there too!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:35 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think the trailmix is a really good idea too. Minimum preparation, lots of nutrients, including protein and healthy fats from the nuts. He could also add some nuts to other meals, like almonds mixed with oatmeal for breakfast, sesame and pumpkin seeds in a lunch salad and cashews or peanuts sprinkled over dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Lentils are very protein-rich. I think they are the third most protein-rich plant source of food, actually (soy beans and hemp seeds are the first two). They also contain dietary iron and taste pretty good. I use red lentils a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 am 
Flounceiad 2011

If you don't have a copy of Viva Vegan yet, you should run, not walk, to your nearest bookstore; it's got enough delicious Latin-inspired recipes to keep six boyfriends happy!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:28 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Edamame! I made the edamame pesto linguine from AFR yesterday and was astonished at how much protein. Maybe to up the calorie count you could use more olive oil?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:38 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I didn't like meat subs and was always hungry when I first went veg and living on beans and rice with some veggies either on the side or mixed in worked well for me. My meal plan looked something like this:

Breakfast - oatmeal/muesli/granola with a piece of fruit
Lunch - beans and rice with some broccoli and carrots in a spicy tomato sauce
Dinner - spaghetti with tomato sauce and some more cooked veg on the side
Snack - a can of baked beans OR some trail mix

Obviously it could have used more veg but it served me very well in my transition when I wasn't used to eating much veg and vegan specialty foods were still scary-looking to me.

Once he's been eating veg for a while maybe try him on seitan again. The meat subs grew on me as I forgot what meat actually tasted like because I wasn't expecting meat and could enjoy them for their own qualities.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Desdemona wrote:
If you don't have a copy of Viva Vegan yet, you should run, not walk, to your nearest bookstore; it's got enough delicious Latin-inspired recipes to keep six boyfriends happy!

Yes, I have this, but haven't cooked from it yet! I asked him to pick some things out, because I think I get intimidated by my imaginary calorie counts on the recipes, but I'm excited to just go for it!

Sadly, if I left things up to him, we'd just eat out all the time, which I've gotten a lot more comfortable with, even started having fun with, but can't afford to do everyday! We did talk about doing a lot more of the planning, etc. together so it's not all about me obsessing. To be honest, I love cooking, and I've always cooked a lot of things I wouldn't eat, just give away to friends, or cook meals for other people's families etc. So, cooking and eating the food I cook is a big step. I get to keep doing this thing I love and reap the benefits, and I have someone to take the pressure off my impulse to obsess. He's been really active and supportive in my recovery, so he's pretty mindful of warning signs and manages them in a really kind and patient manner.

And lentils, I love lentils and making daals. I should do some more of that because it's cheap and easy to keep frozen and ready to go :)

Thanks so much for all of this! I think I'm going to get a copy of Thrive because I hear good things about the recipes in there for nutrient dense snacks, etc.

--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am still transitioning to a vegan diet, but here three recipes that my husband liked, and were pretty filling. I am a tiny girl with a big appetite and husband is a big guy trying hard to lose weight, since working out alone isn't helping.

From Veganomicon book: Pineapple Cashew Quinoa Stirfry (you could even put it over brown rice)

From AllRecipes.com: Tofu Peanut Stir Fry (I had to use water to coat tofu instead of egg and I reduced the oil to fry in). Vegetarian Morroccan Stew was also a big hit. I followed the recipe exactly except used raisins instead of dried apricots. They are expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:11 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

indexandicon wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

Yes, I have this, but haven't cooked from it yet! I asked him to pick some things out, because I think I get intimidated by my imaginary calorie counts on the recipes, but I'm excited to just go for it!
For what it's worth, if things like oil and fat in recipes freak you out - and I've been where you are, so I totally understand - most things work perfectly well using much less than specified.* And I'm not just talking about Viva Vegan; I pretty much never use the amount of fat called for in recipes, and everyone I feed (five people on a daily basis, plus guests, etc.) is always happy. You should feel free to tweak things to your satisfaction, because overall it's better for your health (and your recovery!) to be eating real, whole foods instead of packaged, prepared, take-out, etc. Good luck, and congrats on inspiring your BF to go veg; just be sure to take care of you, too!

* I'm not especially interested in sweets or baked goods, but even in those cases you can sub most or even all the fat with applesauce or mashed banana.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

To make things easier, I would concentrate on the staples.

Bean or lentil soups with tons of veggies like tomato, greens, cabbage, etc...make a big pot on Sat. or Sun. If you personally don't prefer to add something additional to this meal, such as a grilled Tofurkey and cheez sandwich, you still get a lot of nutrition just from the soup...but that doesn't mean your boyfriend cannot embellish with a sandwich or something alongside to fill himself up. But in general I tend to find that, because of its water content, a good soup can do the trick when I want something "not too heavy" but heavy enough to constitute a healthy meal.

Also, a big pot of black beans can be used all week, either combined with brown rice or quinoa or slightly mashed and used for burritos...or even black bean soup.

What about supplementing your raw salads with, say, a couple of scoops of (very high protein, btw - i was really surprised!) tiny beluga lentils on top?...you can get those pre-cooked in a vacuum bag at TJ's for convenience sake...or making sure to always add in some raw sunflower seeds or walnuts, etc. or even perhaps a scoop of something like hummus or a raw pinenut cheese on top of your salads? That would make them well balanced.

In terms of breakfast, what about a morning smoothie with fruit, nut milk and some sort of protein powder? Maybe a handful of greens thrown in? This seems like it would meet both of your different needs. If I am particularly hungry, I sometimes like to make my morning green smoothie with the usual greens, protein powder and stuff + half a ripe banana, 1/4 cup of raw oats, a spoon of peanut butter and some cinnamon and vanilla...a very powerful and proteinacious start to the day that might appeal to your boyfriend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Not sure of your BF's taste preference, but I am definitely a male vegan with an appetite for meaty foods. I do love raw salads, but if they don't have like a chickpea croquette or roasted mushrooms in there then I'm left pretty unsatisfied. Lentil sloppy joes are ridiculously cheap and they always leave me feeling like I've eaten something substantial. Also, I make a a pot of beany chili or gumbo every couple weeks. Those do the trick. And finally, I'll echo desdemona's recommendation of Viva Vegan. That portobello feijoada with some braised kale and fried plantains is just the best thing ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:36 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I find that whole grains are the foods that best address my feeling hungry. If I eat stuff like brown rice, quinoa, millet, whole wheat noodles, etc. at a meal (in addition to other stuff like protein and veggies), I'm less likely to get hungry again in an hour. If I don't eat grains, or if I eat stuff like white rice or white bread instead of whole grains, I'll be hungry again very soon.

And yeah, definitely get Viva Vegan if you can!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:07 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

vijita wrote:
Hi, it's so great that he is attempting a veg diet. But honestly, if you are in the early stages of ED recovery, you should really try as hard as you can manage not to take on the role as full-time cook in the house. Or if you do--make it something you do together, and don't obsess over it! Raw salads all the time isn't a great way to recover from an ED, and to be honest, your recovery is more important than your BF's transition. However, I think it is great that you are challenging yourself with what were once trigger foods, and your menu looks great--if a little sparse on the calories. Recovery first! <3

Absolutely. Indexandicon, please look after yourself first.

Maybe you guys could take this on as a joint project - where you both plan and cook meals that are good for both of you. That sounds healthier.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:57 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My fiancee is an omni, but I cook 100% vegan at home. (He keeps a bag of cheese in the fridge, but that is it.) And he likes hearty meals too. What I would suggest is getting out a cookbook (or a couple of your favorite recipe sites) and doing a weekly meal plan together. Stuff that sounds good to BOTH of you that you can agree on. That is what we do. The cookbooks that we cook out of the most are Appetitie for Reduction and perhaps Viva Vegan.

We eat a lot of beans, and a lot of latin food. Do taco night once a week!

We eat a lot of indian/thai food/dahl/curries as well.

Lentils are awsometime. We eat them a lot. Lots of quinoa too.

and actually, those Gaiden chickenless tenders (TJ has them cheaper) are pretty good. Recently my guy switched from real frozen chicken tender to those, since he likes them better than real chicken! They make a nice high-protein, frozen conveniece food (generally, I am not big on that stuff either, but sometimes I like something i can grab from the freezer.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:07 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I haven't read all the replies so sorry if I'm repeating something here.

I weight train and use a lot of vegan bodybuilding sites for advice on protein. I love lentils, hemp seed (hemp protein powder too), beans, tofu, quinoa, chickpeas, edamame, nuts.

For fats I have the nuts, coconut oil/milk, avocado, flaxseed.

My husband is a big omni but I cook vegan only. I made him the chilli sans carne recipe from Happy Herbivore and I put TVP in it. He had no idea and just thought it was bits of rice. I didn't correct him ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

Eat all the meats you can! Stock up and- Haha, no I'm just kidding. But do you both feel it's something you have to commit to together, or is it just him doing it? If it's just him, it's all good. If you feel like you both should together, then it's something to say you would give it a try for maybe a week or two and figure it out for yourself too; that is if you really wanted to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:58 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Yes, I think all of your feedback and supportive comments are so helpful!

My therapist is in full support of my cooking as part of my recovery... I also do work in a kitchen part-time and do some in home cooking, so I'm always, well, cooking! (or juicing or something like that :) It let's me feel creative and takes a lot of the ED anxiety down many notches. I've been through the process a couple times now, and this is the first time I've worked with someone who is a) supportive of veganism and b) supportive of my love of cooking...And, it's going really well! Having this as a project has been fun and taking a lot of anxiety out of the grocery shopping and also getting me a comfortable place to try things that I've been afraid of eating, because I can scope them out from beginning to end, play with them, satiate curiosity, and then eat them.

I'm just such a "grass eater" and it can take me a minute to think of obvious things like adding rice with lentils to a veggie curry meal that I would usually eat over greens, so all of this is super helpful. I've been some kind of veg most of my life, but always avoided TVP... what's up with that stuff? Is it good? Should I try it? And, @TurningVioletViolet, is there a site you recommend for muscle building recipes?

I used to make a lot of veggie burgers from scratch and I've always been a fiend for tempeh, so it looks like those things will be making many appearances. But, I'm older and fancier now, so I may ditch buns and call the burgers croquettes.

--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:08 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

indexandicon wrote:
I'm just such a "grass eater" and it can take me a minute to think of obvious things like adding rice with lentils to a veggie curry meal that I would usually eat over greens, so all of this is super helpful. I've been some kind of veg most of my life, but always avoided TVP... what's up with that stuff? Is it good? Should I try it? And, @TurningVioletViolet, is there a site you recommend for muscle building recipes?
I know a few people who really don't like TVP; I think it's the texture that is problematic. It has a very mild soya flavour. Soak some soy chunks/discs/whatevers in vegetable stock and then throw them in with a stir fry?

www.veganfitness.net is a good site for, well, vegan fitness. There's also VeganBodybuilding.com, but the site is kind of geared towards bodybuilding, rather than general fitness.

I'm very much a fan of sneaky ways of adding protein to food. Do you like sprouted things? A handful of sprouted beans or lentils can add a quick load of protein into a salad, while still being identifiably a salad. Quinoa and wheat berries can work as rice-alternatives and both have about 15g of protein per 100g (rice has about 7g). A teaspoon of sesame seeds in your salad/over your greens adds a little protein and is conveniently delicious. A tablespoon of nutritional yeast has about 10g of protein.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:57 am 
Tofu Pup

Tempeh and Soy curls are my favorite to cook with. Tempeh has that hearty texture when you eat it and if you put soy curls in the oven, they tasted like chicken. Just make sure you put enough seasoning on them.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next