| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: do you miss Hostess, Little Debbies, and the like?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:12 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am unfamiliar with 3/4 of the treats mentioned, I'm torn between feeling deprived and thankful.

The closest I get to missing is wishing for these cylindrical crumbs to exist as vegan somewhere. Not the donuts, just the perfect manicured crumbs.

Lil Debbie's (I think?) fudge brownies (thin indentation in its middle, walnut bits on top) which were not permitted in my house Ever but were always floating around elementary school, and New England specific Peggy Lawton's brownies, I miss abstractly whenever I attempt chewy fudge brownies. My attempts always seem to be missing something. Then I realize that missing thing is the promise of an early death or diabetes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:34 pm 
WRETCHED

I found a picture of a yo yo.

Although I don't know if it is the same idea, we generally ate these for breakfast once in a great while, on the weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh yes. Mainly TastyKakes - KandyKakes, Butterscotch krimpets & the chocolate cupcakes. That pic reminded me of the chocolate crumb Entenmann's donuts too, and now I totally want one. They were so good! And Drake's Devil Dogs.

Of course, even if I wasn't vegan I couldn't eat these things much now because they're so fattening! But it would be nice to have one once in a while.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

gwen wrote:
I am unfamiliar with 3/4 of the treats mentioned, I'm torn between feeling deprived and thankful.

The closest I get to missing is wishing for these cylindrical crumbs to exist as vegan somewhere. Not the donuts, just the perfect manicured crumbs.

Lil Debbie's (I think?) fudge brownies (thin indentation in its middle, walnut bits on top) which were not permitted in my house Ever but were always floating around elementary school, and New England specific Peggy Lawton's brownies, I miss abstractly whenever I attempt chewy fudge brownies. My attempts always seem to be missing something. Then I realize that missing thing is the promise of an early death or diabetes.

Drooling...I must have eaten a million of these.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You guys. I am so sad now, because when I saw the thread I thought when I opened it you guys would have magical news of some company mass producing vegan versions of this sort of stuff, like how Go Max Go makes the vegan versions of the crappy candy bars of my youth. My spirits are crushed.

Also if you liked the oatmeal cream pies according to the Peta accidentally vegan list Mrs Freshley's Oatmeal Crème-filled Cookies are vegan. I bought some awhile ago, but was not satiated. I need my weird waxy chocolate or white coating. The cream filling was just as I remembered though.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My mom used to buy Cosmic Brownies All. The. Time. I ate them because they were there but always thought they were kind of weird. I think she just liked to say "Cozzzzzzzzmic Brownie" more than anything.

The oatmeal creme pies, now, I could decimate a box of those in a sitting.

Ya know what I really want? A vegan GooGoo Cluster. I used to make them but don't know what to use instead of marshmallows that is cheap and easy (not sure where to even access vegan marshmallows or how much they cost - is there such a thing?)

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There are two brands of vegan marshmallows out there, Sweet and Sara who are more gourmet and less of your traditional marshmallow http://sweetandsara.com/

and Chicago Vegan Foods make Dandies, which are traditional air puffed marshmallows sized somewhere in between mini marshmallows and regular sized marshmallows.
http://www.chicagoveganfoods.com/dandie ... shmallows/

And there's also Suzanne's Ricemellow Creme which is like vegan marshmallow fluff. I've never had a GooGoo Cluster, so I don't know if this would work at all, just tossing it out there as another possibility
https://www.suzannes-specialties.com/Shop.asp?LineID=20

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:13 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

the orange cupcake thingies with frosting in the middle...hostess maybe...there isn't a grocery trip that goes by without me passing them and wishing they were vegan.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:45 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

alden wrote:
the orange cupcake thingies with frosting in the middle...hostess maybe...there isn't a grocery trip that goes by without me passing them and wishing they were vegan.

OOOOHHH Yeah, THAT's what I'm talkin' bout. There's something amazing about artificial orange flavored frosting that sets my thoughts alight, I start thinking in Monet style and everything is serendipitous.

I'm thinking of starting a company that sells these things. HoHos, RingDings, Twinkies, SnoBalls for you midwesterners, those hard and crusty Hostess cookies I dream of, Swiss Rolls, Oatmeal Cream Pies for my bro, Chocodiles for my sis, Crumb Cake for my faja, and Hostest with the Mostests. Just so you know.

;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:46 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

butterbobbin wrote:
My mom used to buy Cosmic Brownies All. The. Time. I ate them because they were there but always thought they were kind of weird. I think she just liked to say "Cozzzzzzzzmic Brownie" more than anything.

The oatmeal creme pies, now, I could decimate a box of those in a sitting.

Ya know what I really want? A vegan GooGoo Cluster. I used to make them but don't know what to use instead of marshmallows that is cheap and easy (not sure where to even access vegan marshmallows or how much they cost - is there such a thing?)

Dude, I ate those Cosmic Brownies every day for lunch! They were weird and didn't really taste chocolatey, just chemical chocolatey, which is no dice. Plus I had an allergic reaction anytime I ate those little forkers. I cannot resist anything with rainbow decorations!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

jessilikewhoa wrote:
There are two brands of vegan marshmallows out there, Sweet and Sara who are more gourmet and less of your traditional marshmallow http://sweetandsara.com/

and Chicago Vegan Foods make Dandies, which are traditional air puffed marshmallows sized somewhere in between mini marshmallows and regular sized marshmallows.
http://www.chicagoveganfoods.com/dandie ... shmallows/

And there's also Suzanne's Ricemellow Creme which is like vegan marshmallow fluff. I've never had a GooGoo Cluster, so I don't know if this would work at all, just tossing it out there as another possibility
https://www.suzannes-specialties.com/Shop.asp?LineID=20

Sweet, thank you! Going to check these out.

fauxfrancais wrote:
Dude, I ate those Cosmic Brownies every day for lunch! They were weird and didn't really taste chocolatey, just chemical chocolatey, which is no dice. Plus I had an allergic reaction anytime I ate those little forkers. I cannot resist anything with rainbow decorations!

Yeah, chemical chocolatey for sure. I gained plenty of pounds stuffing those things in, though, despite not liking them all that much. They were addictive.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fauxfrancais wrote:
alden wrote:

OOOOHHH Yeah, THAT's what I'm talkin' bout. There's something amazing about artificial orange flavored frosting that sets my thoughts alight, I start thinking in Monet style and everything is serendipitous.

I'm thinking of starting a company that sells these things. HoHos, RingDings, Twinkies, SnoBalls for you midwesterners, those hard and crusty Hostess cookies I dream of, Swiss Rolls, Oatmeal Cream Pies for my bro, Chocodiles for my sis, Crumb Cake for my faja, and Hostest with the Mostests. Just so you know.

;)

Hello. Let us be best friends, ok?

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

When I was a kid, I was really into the Drake's products. Devil Dogs, Yodels, the tiny coffee cakes. Especially the tiny coffee cakes. I suppose those wouldn't be too difficult to recreate, though.

And the Little Debbie's mini powdered donuts. Those were served at every school party. Everyone would end up absolutely covered in powdered sugar by the end of the party.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:23 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

came home from a long day of dog walking (with my just-adopted puppy!) and all i want is this:Image

anyone remember those? the cupcakes were always a bit too dry and spongey, but i would eat around it for the ganache and frosting any day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Good Lard. I haven't thought of them in years, but now I'm craving Ho-hos. And Entenmann's chocolate donuts.

Not exactly in the same category, but another junky favorite from when I was a kid were Circus Peanuts. Anyone else remember those? They were these firm orange peanut-shaped marshmallows that tasted of artificial banana. Man I loved those things! If I could find a vegan version of those, I'd eat myself into a sugar coma.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lepelaar wrote:
Not exactly in the same category, but another junky favorite from when I was a kid were Circus Peanuts. Anyone else remember those? They were these firm orange peanut-shaped marshmallows that tasted of artificial banana. Man I loved those things! If I could find a vegan version of those, I'd eat myself into a sugar coma.

Yup! My dad used to eat these. I remember liking them when I was very young but then eating them again when I was older I thought they were nasty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:38 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

also not snack foods per se, but does anyone remember these? there was a brand with the yellow and orange paper tag at the top that used to sell these. 2/$1

sweeeet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

GraciaKai wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Yup! My dad used to eat these. I remember liking them when I was very young but then eating them again when I was older I thought they were nasty.

I had that same experience with those little wax bottle-shaped things that you bite open and drink the liquid from. I loved those as a kid but when I tried them as an adult... nasty! I did have Circus Peanuts at some point in my 20s and still liked them. They have these banana shaped things here that taste and feel pretty similar, but alas, also not vegan.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Last edited by lepelaar on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Peach Rings!! Delicious!

I never ate the green ones though, what the hell flavor was that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lepelaar wrote:

#1 food I miss.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I remember someone mentioning that there is a brand of those waxy chocolate donuts that is accidentally vegan, so every time I see those I check.

Brian has never been to a Hostess outlet! My parents didn't grasp the concept of not letting your kids eat eight pounds of junk food, so we would go there and load up on all kinds of mini cakes and fruit pies and those super gross cherry rolls and i'm doing that Homer Simpson thing with my head back and drooling on myself garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:56 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

lepelaar wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

I had that same experience with those little wax bottle-shaped things that you bite open and drink the liquid from. I loved those as a kid but when I tried them as an adult... nasty! I did have Circus Peanuts at some point in my 20s and still liked them. They have these banana shaped things here that taste and feel pretty similar, but alas, also not vegan.

oh gosh, oh gosh......circus peanuts *doing a happy muppet dance* I looooooooove circus peanuts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok, all you Peanut Butter KandyKake lovers. Frozen or regular? I know a lot of people who love to throw them in the freezer and eat them cold. They are good that way, but I loved them room temp too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:14 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So for my birthday my friend sent me a butt-load of vegan sweets. One item was the toasted coconut Sweet & Sara marshmallows...The reminded me of snowballs - granted I have not had one sine elementary school...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

missmuffcake wrote:
So for my birthday my friend sent me a butt-load of vegan sweets. One item was the toasted coconut Sweet & Sara marshmallows...The reminded me of snowballs - granted I have not had one sine elementary school...

Yes! But they are missing the coconut and chocolate cake to go along with the mallow. And the pink coloring!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next