| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: do you miss Hostess, Little Debbies, and the like?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

fauxfrancais wrote:
also not snack foods per se, but does anyone remember these? there was a brand with the yellow and orange paper tag at the top that used to sell these. 2/$1

sweeeet

YES! These, peach rings, and wax bottles were my favorite when I was little. Then you'd wash it down with either a Capri Sun, Sunny D, or those cheap little bottles of "juice" where you had to punch a hole in the top. I am so tripping down Nostalgia Lane right now.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I remember someone mentioning that there is a brand of those waxy chocolate donuts that is accidentally vegan, so every time I see those I check.

Little Debbie makes an accidentally vegan, single serve donut. I've never been able to find it, though.

While my mind is already here, did anyone eat Toasties? We live right near a Freihofer's outlet so my nan would take trips and buy a ton of stuff. We had a lot of Toasties in the house:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh man, I just remembered Archway cookies!
http://www.archwaycookies.com/

And what about SnackWells? I'm not sure if they count. But my Grams loved the Devils Food Cookies. Man, she bought those things by the truck loads. Probably still does! And munchkins too, Entenmanns not Dunkin Donuts.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:09 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yorkie puppies.

*dead*

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just tweeted at Sweet&Sara that they should start making vegan snowballs. Everyone do the same! Maybe we will get lucky.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

The thing about all of this is that I miss being able to just grab some super cheap junk food at any grocery store.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:07 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Little Debbie makes an accidentally vegan, single serve donut. I've never been able to find it, though.

I am 100% convinced this is a myth. I've seen it mentioned on every vegan site, but I have never been able to find one either. I always check every supermarket, convenience store, and gas station I go to. No dice. Pretty sure I'll find a unicorn before I find a Little Debbie vegan donut.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

I am 100% convinced this is a myth. I've seen it mentioned on every vegan site, but I have never been able to find one either. I always check every supermarket, convenience store, and gas station I go to. No dice. Pretty sure I'll find a unicorn before I find a Little Debbie vegan donut.

I bet in a universe far far away there is a unicorn eating a vegan Little Debbie donut right now!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

GraciaKai wrote:
[
Yes! But they are missing the coconut and chocolate cake to go along with the mallow. And the pink coloring!

It can be a jumping off point though to creating your own!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've only ever found those cake donuts in reeeeealy old delis with a limited selection of stuff, and at FoodSwings back a few years before they were bought by a different owner. Other than that, I think they have tragically become defunct.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:36 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

GraciaKai wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

I bet in a universe far far away there is a unicorn eating a vegan Little Debbie donut right now!

I WANT TO LIVE IN THIS UNIVERSE.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This is probably just me, but I think the chocolate chip brownie larabars taste kind of like the Little Debbie Brownies. Granted, it has been many years since I've had a Little Debbie brownie, but I mentioned the taste comparison to a non-vegan friend recently (she has a new-found love for larabars) and she agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:

I swear they exist! Or existed. They tasted half like glazed donut, half like chemically plastic... but in a good way? Sort of. I've eaten zillions of them, but haven't seen them in maybe 2 years now. Wouldn't doubt it if they discontinued them. Once, at a low point, I begged a gas station to order them and they said they couldn't. Which might just be what you say to a crazy woman you want to shut up?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My parents were true crunchy-granola hippies (and we were kinda broke), so we never got those kinds of junkie sweets when I was a kid. We got homemade baked goods and my grandma would give us the occasional Hostess fruit pie, but I don't think I had a Twinkie until I was about 20 and I thought it was kind of gross. My mom has lightened up now that she's a grandma, so she's always got a stash of Little Debbie stuff "for the grandkids".

If I ever get nostalgic for Hostess fruit pies, I go to Wiffies and relive the gut-bomb glory.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

GraciaKai wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

Someone please draw this for me.

Also, now that I think about it- I think I may have seen that they were discontinued. Balls.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

BluePlasticStraw wrote:
My parents were true crunchy-granola hippies (and we were kinda broke), so we never got those kinds of junkie sweets when I was a kid. We got homemade baked goods and my grandma would give us the occasional Hostess fruit pie, but I don't think I had a Twinkie until I was about 20 and I thought it was kind of gross. My mom has lightened up now that she's a grandma, so she's always got a stash of Little Debbie stuff "for the grandkids".

If I ever get nostalgic for Hostess fruit pies, I go to Wiffies and relive the gut-bomb glory.

I swear there is a generic version of those Hostess pies that is vegan. I read the labels on a lot of those things out of curiosity/boredom when I worked at Winco. I kind of wanted to try one, but they had like 600 calories each, and that just didn't seem worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:50 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

GraciaKai wrote:
Oh man, I just remembered Archway cookies!
http://www.archwaycookies.com/

My grandfather always had the Molasses and the Dutch Cocoa- I loved them!

He also always had these Stella D'oro cookies:

I'm realizing through this thread that I ate WAY more sweets as a kid than I originally remembered.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I LOVED STELLA DOROS!!!

My grandma used to buy them for me and I'd eat them in order of best to worst (vanilla sprinkle first, all the way down to plain chocolate, which were kind of meh). Holy crepe those were the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ashley wrote:
I LOVED STELLA DOROS!!!

My grandma used to buy them for me and I'd eat them in order of best to worst (vanilla sprinkle first, all the way down to plain chocolate, which were kind of meh). Holy crepe those were the best.

Yes! I ate the pink ones first, then the vanilla sprinkles, then green. Very strategic, ha. My grandfather used to buy the long versions of those vanilla and chocolate ones (don't know what they're called; we called them cigars) and they were somehow better that way.

I miss those, but it's more for nostalgia than taste.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My dad loved Little Debbie stuff when he was younger, so as a joke, one of his friends cut out the picture of "Little Debbie" from the box, and glued it onto my dad's guitar. I think they were fourteen or fifteen at the time. . . ? Anywho, I think my dad has been bitter about the incident ever since, and we never had Little Debbie snacks when I was growing up. Part of this is also probably because a big part of my childhood took place during the '90s and early 2000s, and my parents bought into the '90s "fat-will-kill-you" health craze. We sometimes had the Snackwells Devil's Food cookies, which I still miss from time to time.

I think what I miss most are the really crappy supermarket pastries (like the cherry danishes, croissants, etc. from the bakery section). I recently bought a vegan spelt scone at the EarthFare bakery, and I was secretly really happy that it was kind of stale, because it tasted more like the mediocre supermarket goodies.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:55 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have a bunch of reasons why I didn't eat healthy as a kid/teen. But my Grams was the worst influence ever! She was the type of woman who cooked from boxes. She fell right into the 50's/60's processed food craze. And I was always at her house when I was younger and then moved in with her when I was 13. So I was raised on all of this junk food! I even remember when she was doing Weight Watchers in the early 90's. And they started to sell their own food. She would buy all the frozen ice cream treats that they made and feed them to me for dessert and snacks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:32 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Amy wrote:

I'm realizing through this thread that I ate WAY more sweets as a kid than I originally remembered.

YE$$$$$$$$$. Used to pick apart the box to eat the pink, white and green frosted cookies, and the ones with nonpareils.

How about the tins of butter cookies?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Mr. Shankly wrote:
YES! These, peach rings, and wax bottles were my favorite when I was little. Then you'd wash it down with either a Capri Sun, Sunny D, or those cheap little bottles of "juice" where you had to punch a hole in the top. I am so tripping down Nostalgia Lane right now.

ImageQuarter drinks? Deadly but so cheap you pay for it in sugar coma and a lack of focus! hah

Mr. Shankly wrote:
While my mind is already here, did anyone eat Toasties? We live right near a Freihofer's outlet so my nan would take trips and buy a ton of stuff. We had a lot of Toasties in the house

Are toasties those flat corn muffin tops? Entenmann's makes a kind that I ate religiously.

Last edited by fauxfrancais on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Haha, yes those butter tin cookies are def familiar. My other Grandmother, I call her my Italian Grandmom, always had these and homemade biscotti around her house. She used to have the ladies over for tea, cookies, and cards all the time!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hugs!! Aw man I used to bite a small hole in the top of the tinfoil and suck out the juice slowly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

fauxfrancais wrote:
How about the tins of butter cookies?

there is a vegan variety that exists. they're the shizz.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next