| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on what Kids like to eat?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:11 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

So I'm working on a recipe for consideration for an upcoming cookbook for parents. It's been a while since I was a picky child, but I remember the days of dreading Spaghetti-Os. I have a few recipes up my sleeve, but definitely want something that also meets the standards of selective children. The other part of this that is important to note is that it's going to be published for cancer patients and survivors, so that's an ultra tricky thing. On one hand, they have very sensitive bodies and need to be nourished, so that's number one. But, they're still children and they're been through alot, probably want a treat every now and again, you know?...I want to give them something that identifies and fulfills both a need and a want.

I was thinking of a few things but would like to know what your kids eat! It doesn't have to be based in experience with cancer patients, but just the first bit would help me significantly.

So far, I've thought of baked falafel fries with some kind of dressing, a quinoa salad, squashed potatoes with a homemade dip. I'm not sure if just trying to up the health factor of a common food is better than just creating something from scratch that is exciting and delicious.

Post subject: Re: Advice on what Kids like to eat?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 am 
Married to the wolfman

Oh man, I'd eat falafel fries.

What ate are the target kids? That probably makes a difference.

My almost 3 year old would eat the quinoa and maybe the fries. He wouldn't eat the potatoes but every other parent I meet who hears his stance on potatoes is aghast... They are considered a very easy sell for most kids!

Pasta in pretty much any form appeals to a lot of kids. Also, dips, because dipping is fun. Um, what else... My kid will always go for a food that's in pieces or shapes rather than one big piece. Like he doesn't really love the Vcon chickpea cutlets-- but if you shape the same recipe into nuggets, he is over the moon.

It sounds like you are off to a great start! Good luck, I hope your recipe gets in!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Do you think quinoa salad with mango would be too much? and what's the stance on chunky stuff like beans, tomatos, onions, chopped and throughout? I might be able to make some kind of dressing instead of using those ingredients on their own if it will make the food more palatable. I was SUCH a finicky kid that this is proving difficult!

Actually, the age group isn't specified. I think it's more focused on what aspect of recovery, or what symptoms, the meal helps remedy, like nausea, platelet count, etc. I'm a first semester Nutrition transfer so this is unfamiliar territory for me, but I'm going to read up on those aspects as I go along and tweak a recipe to be more suitable for that symptom.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:01 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hi, I have kids with sensory issues which apply to the foods they prefer, in terms of what they feel like in the mouth and what they look like (husband is the same, he can't handle paella). My son in particular will not go near vegies and would be considered extremelyyyy 'fussy'.

I make soft serve, using frozen overripe bananas as the base:
http://ruskindays.wordpress.com/2012/07 ... -porridge/

I figure if I have to get him to eat 'ice cream' just to get a serve of veg, I'll do it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

if it's for kids that are going through chemo and stuff, you might want to keep the food bland. falafel fries and quinoa mango salad might be too strong. when someone's going through chemo or other cancer treatments you should just focus on getting them to eat to make sure they don't lose weight. that's one of the most important things.

where are you going to school for nutrition?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

How about a mild pumpkin soup with beans pureed into it, garnished with cashew/almond cream or is that 'too vegan'?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My kids also hate potatoes in all forms except chips and crisps. They like spring rolls and samosas- just different shapes of the same dough. I putt all sorts of vegetables and things inside. Make sure they're no more that two-bite sized.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

IJDI, I'm at NYU now...There are different symptoms the recipe is going to be used for, so during recovery/remission, will they still have trouble with appetite and only eat bland food?

I just thought about your soup and that made me think of my favorite, sweet potato and black bean quesadillas that I used to make. My sister went to town on them, but she's already in her 20's. They could be mild enough if I tone down the seasoning a bit.

Bite size, eh? That makes total sense. And 'dippable' stuff too! That's what I thought would make falafel fries a good option, if I can make a good sauce to go with them for during recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

When I was little, I haaaated most vegetables, but I would eat any amount of any fruit. I don't know if that's normal, but it's something to think about. Maybe some sort of dessert hummus or tofu or nut-based dip for sliced apples, pears, etc would be a good idea?

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:54 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Kids love stuff that is interactive, so like with sauces and stuff. The falafel fries sound good. I would probably try simple foods that hide good stuff in, like hummus with extra stuff and then something to dip in the hummus. It seems like bean dips would be a hearty way to get in nutrients and would also be okay for someone with a sensitive stomach.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:58 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I feel ya Kilgore. I still wonder if kids would like kale though because I have a killer simple kale recipe for a side with the quesadillas. I want to include the banana soft serve recipe since it was old news to everyone but me when I found out about it and it's super healthy, loaded with vitamins and minerals and is subtle enough in flavor to not cause stomach upset.