| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grocery Spending Issues
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

use the magnifying glass in the top right (spotlight) to find anything on a mac.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:45 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

How many grocery stores do you guys go to per week (assuming you try and do one shopping trip per week)

I buy about 85-90% of my groceries at Sprouts (bulk bins, semi-healthfood, great cheap produce store) but always have to go to a regular grocery store so my omni partner can get his junk (frozen dinners, Yoplait yogurt, chips, soda blah gross). Also, there are some things that are way cheaper at a supermarket like oils, canned tomatoes, certain produce sprouts doesn’t carry etc.

Then about every other week we go to Trader Joe's to stock up on stuff I love there that I can't get anywhere else, or it is super cheap at TJ's compared to supermarket (Tofu, frozen fake meat products, frozen berries, wine etc). Luckily TJ's is close to my partner's work, so sometimes he will stop by for me on the way home if I need stuff.

A coworker recently commented that it was insane that I go to 2-3 stores a week.

Then again, I don't have kids. I would happily take an extra half hour of my disposable time to save a few bucks and go to another store. And I actually kind of like food shopping. Maybe I am just a weirdo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I used to go to Market Basket (cheapest grocery store around) and Whole Foods for some bulk. Currently, I just go to Market Basket. They've got tofu for $.99 and a few vegan fake meats and a few varieties of vegan cereal and everything else I need. The only thing I need from Whole Foods this week is canned lentils for the Chipotle lentil burgers from AFR. And I may just use regular lentils despite the warnings since I don't feel like stopping at whole foods.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Whole foods is DANGEROUS. go in for one can of lentils. Come out with a $75 bag HALF full of groceries.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chicki wrote:
Whole foods is DANGEROUS. go in for one can of lentils. Come out with a $75 bag HALF full of groceries.

aaah! your problem in the first place is needing canned lentils. they're so fast to cook from dry, that it makes no sense to buy canned.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I don't always go to different stores every week, but I do have several stores I visit regularly: two supermarkets (one is kind of expensive, the other is cheaper), a Turkish and an Asian ethnic store and two health food stores. These are all within walking distance of our apartment and I know which products are cheapest at those stores and I have particular products I get from each one. Once every three months we also order a big box of nuts and flours from an online miller's shop.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

supercarrot wrote:
Chicki wrote:

aaah! your problem in the first place is needing canned lentils. they're so fast to cook from dry, that it makes no sense to buy canned.

I have lentils. I'm totally using them. Isa Chandra's dire warnings about the lentils for the Chipotle Lentil burgers scare me though. And I really don't feel like walking out of Whole Foods with stuff I don't need. I'm usually pretty good about that, but still.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:37 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

lillianp wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
Chicki wrote:

I have lentils. I'm totally using them. Isa Chandra's dire warnings about the lentils for the Chipotle Lentil burgers scare me though. And I really don't feel like walking out of Whole Foods with stuff I don't need. I'm usually pretty good about that, but still.

That's why I have never made those burgers! I don't buy canned lentils either...

I have no self control in Whole Foods :( I stay away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:36 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I go to different stores when I shop. Not every week, but at least every other week. We do Costco's 2-3x a month, and then we also do Trader Joe's, Safeway and our local grocery co-op for bulk/healthy items that aren't available at the other places. I ususally do TJ's and/or the grocery co-op and Costco in the same day. It's really not that much extra work and helps keep costs down even when you factor in gas and all the stores are right near each other so it's super convenient.

I can't go into Whole Foods. I always get caught up buying more than I mean to even though they sell the same stuff at the grocery co-op. I think they must put something in the air there.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:42 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

We were looking over our budget and another money sucker is Target. I need to stop going 3 times a week!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think Target is actually worse than WF for the "go in for one small thing and walk out with $100 worth of stuff" because when you go into WF you KNOW it's expensive. in target you keep throwing crepe in a cart not realizing how it adds up!!!

though i fail at both stores. luckily there is not a WF all that close to me. sometimes i go to one on my lunch break but the trip takes me the full hour

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Target is not good. I am going to cut down to once a week. I am tired of going in for Luna Bars, coming out with video games, stickers, makeup and forgetting the bars. :/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chicki wrote:

That's why I have never made those burgers! I don't buy canned lentils either...

I have no self control in Whole Foods :( I stay away.[/quote]

I have made those burgers with dry lentils; I just added panko until they seemed like they were the right consistency. They worked.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't think I've ever seen canned lentils, ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't seen canned lentils either. Only the ones in the vacuum package at Trader Joe's, with the tofu and all that stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have seen that Amy's makes a canned lentil. Like $4 a can though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've only seen canned lentils at WF, and the steamed at TJ's (which I love).

The thing that gets me about "It's so easy to make [whatever item] at home!" is that I wind up being totally overwhelmed. Now not only do I have to wash and prep tons of leafy greens (time consuming!) and veggies, as well as cook grains and such, but suddenly I'm making salad dressings, sauces, and hummus, soaking and cooking beans (I realize lentils are quick though), baking bread, pressing tortillas, and AAAH!

This could completely be just a personal defect on my part, but I can't handle making every single thing from scratch. I plan my week like that sometimes, but then I realize I've aimed too high and I wind up failing spectacularly (ordering takeout or eating junk food because I can't deal with all the tasks between me and dinner). At that point buying bottled salad dressing feels downright liberating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Chicki wrote:
I have seen that Amy's makes a canned lentil. Like $4 a can though.

I don't think Amy's makes canned lentils, just lentil soup in a can. Eden makes canned lentils though.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

missmuffcake wrote:
Target is not good. I am going to cut down to once a week. I am tired of going in for Luna Bars, coming out with video games, stickers, makeup and forgetting the bars. :/

switch to BB&B for your luna bar needs. .66 a piece with the $5/$15 coupon.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:23 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

supercarrot wrote:
switch to BB&B for your luna bar needs. .66 a piece with the $5/$15 coupon.

I will try to see if I can print the coupons since they come very sporadically in the mail. BB&B is next to Target here. I do not know if they have the ones we eat though. I use the new fiber ones in the morning and my boyfriend likes the Clif Kidz oatmeal. Then for lunch a few times a week I just go for a traditional bar. Target seems cheap for the bars when they are on sale though...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just wanted to report back: I caved and went to Whole Foods. But they didn't have any canned lentils so I went home (and managed to buy nothing!) and made them with lentils from home. I added a little extra bread crumbs and an 1/8th of a cup of flour. They're still delicate and soggyish, but fine. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

MomMeTrois wrote:
I think they must put something in the air there.

Sale tags!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Here's a tip....try being the crazy person in a Whole Foods/Target/Kroger who keeps swapping out purchases in their basket to stay under a $20 personal limit, for example. It really makes you think about if you really want that novelty purchase vs. the vegetables and whatnot. Go in with cash to spend and don't pull out the debit card. Even crazier...leave it at home.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jdfunks wrote:
Here's a tip....try being the crazy person in a Whole Foods/Target/Kroger who keeps swapping out purchases in their basket to stay under a $20 personal limit, for example. It really makes you think about if you really want that novelty purchase vs. the vegetables and whatnot. Go in with cash to spend and don't pull out the debit card. Even crazier...leave it at home.

Yeah, I do that for the most part with Market Basket & the Farmer's market (and I'm staying WAY under budget, which is super awesome), but Whole Foods is on the way home from work, which is not where I keep the cashy money for groceries. I need to start carrying like $5 for just in case ZOMG I FORGOT THAT ONE INGREDIENT situations. Because I also hate having to go home and then to Market basket (even though it's only 3 blocks away).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Amy wrote:
I've only seen canned lentils at WF, and the steamed at TJ's (which I love).

The thing that gets me about "It's so easy to make [whatever item] at home!" is that I wind up being totally overwhelmed. Now not only do I have to wash and prep tons of leafy greens (time consuming!) and veggies, as well as cook grains and such, but suddenly I'm making salad dressings, sauces, and hummus, soaking and cooking beans (I realize lentils are quick though), baking bread, pressing tortillas, and AAAH!

This could completely be just a personal defect on my part, but I can't handle making every single thing from scratch. I plan my week like that sometimes, but then I realize I've aimed too high and I wind up failing spectacularly (ordering takeout or eating junk food because I can't deal with all the tasks between me and dinner). At that point buying bottled salad dressing feels downright liberating!

I think it's totally important to to choose your priorities...like for me, I know that I'm going to eat a lot more salad if I buy prewashed greens, so I do. Washing and drying lettuce is a pain and it's important to me that I eat a lot of raw vegetables so I try to make it easy on myself. Salad dressing is super overpriced, though, and takes between 15 seconds and two minutes to make, depending on how fancy I feel, so it's definitely not worth it to me to purchase.

Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next