| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vega smoothies - making them edible
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:22 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm a fan of the berry vega and I'm sure I'd like the natural vega but on a whim a few months ago I bought the vanilla chai and chocolate vega to see if I might like those. Big fail. The vanilla chai I found was sickly sweet and the chocolate was just... odd. I finally found a way to make the vanilla chai vega edible (the trick is an entire lemon and OJ + greens to cut the sweetness in half a serving) but do any of you have suggestions to make the chocolate vega edible? The chocolate was really more for my boyfriend since I'm not a huge chocolate fan and I think he tried it with just water... so any smoothie recipe suggestions are welcome - I'm sure he hasn't tried much.

tl;dr:
How do you like to eat your chocolate vega?

Post subject: Re: vega smoothies - making them edible
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my spouse loves the chocolate vega and his smoothies are something like this: heaping scoop of chocolate vega + almond milk + tsp of molasses + a small handful of walnuts & oats + a big handful of spinach + 1/2 a banana. sometimes he'll add a heaping spoonful of peanut butter. it's pretty darn tasty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 pm 
Chip Strong

I like the chai vega! But I would never think to use citrus with that flavour. When I use the chai I blend it up with frozen bananas, unsweetened almond milk (or soymilk, or whatever) and almond butter (or whatever nut butter). Maybe the creaminess with complement/cut the sweetness of the chai and chocolate for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yeah, frozen banana and unsweetened milk are the only way I can get chocolate Vega down. And chocolate is the only flavour I can even begin to tolerate.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:32 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I first tried the chai with frozen banana, almond milk, and greens but it was so sweet it made me want to barf (I'm very much a savory person and have trouble with most sweetened drinks). The sour/bitter of the lemon really hides the sweetness of the vanilla chai powder until you can barely taste it and all that's left is a greeny citrus smoothie with a HINT of sweet.

I'll pass along the almond milk/almond butter/sweetener/greens with chocolate vega suggestions along to the boyfriend. He used to get chocolate whey powder and just mix it with water so adding some creaminess might do it for him. I don't think we're going to buy these flavors again unless we somehow fall in love with them along the way but I'm determined to get through the tubs we have.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I save money by using cheap, plain, bulk pea and rice protein. Then I add a teaspoon of cocoa, two servings of stevia, sometimes a little vanilla, and then add water (or plant milk) and shake it up. It doesn't taste like a chocolate milk shake or anything but it's palatable enough and dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:28 pm 
Hip Goiter

UGH! Trust me, you think you'd like the natural flavor, but you won't, because it tastes like sweet vomit. I'm sorry, but it's true. And I tried the berry first, and liked that. For chocolate vega, mix it into oatmeal and add a nut butter. Very yummy. Also not bad in a thicker, banana-heavy smoothie.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I agree with vegimator, if your heart isn't set on Vega brand protein and you are trying to replace chocolate whey, try mixing plain vegan protein with cocoa and stevia.

I use Life's Basics unsweetened (rice/pea/hemp), one scoop, add two packs stevia and a big heaping spoonful of raw cacao (you could use cocoa to save money). I shake this with half cold water half unsweetened almond or coconut milk - but I've used all water before and it wasn't bad. You could also do vanilla plantfusion with cocoa, but plantfusion is already sweetened so taste before you add more stevia.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I use this protein powder http://www.gardenoflife.com/Productsfor ... fault.aspx There's no sweeteners in it. I don't put sweeteners in my smoothies- fruits, but no stevia or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is there a special reason to drink something that has been compared to "sweet vomit," "palatable enough," and "tolerable?" (This is a serious question, by the way.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:41 pm 

Vantine wrote:
Is there a special reason to drink something that has been compared to "sweet vomit," "palatable enough," and "tolerable?" (This is a serious question, by the way.)

For me it's because my health issues mean I can't always eat, and when I can eat it can't always be something very nutritious, so having vega for breakfast means I'm not too worried about my overall food intake when my stomach is acting up. That may not be the case for others.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:42 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I am on a sampling kick of them right now to see which ones i like at the moment also, now i'm scared since i try the chocolate one tomorrow. I do have to say i made the berry with "Pure Coconut" milk from Silk and some frozen pineapple, i thought it tasted pretty good, but i don't know if it was the mix or what but my shake turned out to be kinda grainy. As for the Chai, i love it. I mixed that with just the "Pure Coconut" and nothing else and thought it was delicious, but i also have a thing for sweets...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

j-dub wrote:
Vantine wrote:

For me it's because my health issues mean I can't always eat, and when I can eat it can't always be something very nutritious, so having vega for breakfast means I'm not too worried about my overall food intake when my stomach is acting up. That may not be the case for others.

That makes perfect sense. When my grandmother was very ill, we fed her liquid meal replacements because nothing else would stay down.

(This sounds better than my last super depression diet of sorbet and nothing else.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:57 pm 

Oh man. I want a sorbet diet! May not cover all my nutritional bases, but would be more pleasant than Vega.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

j-dub wrote:
Oh man. I want a sorbet diet! May not cover all my nutritional bases, but would be more pleasant than Vega.

A friend who had been through a similar experience told me she just drank smoothies. I decided that was not as much fun. Even when depressed, I look for the fun.

I also mostly hate smoothies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just tried the chocolate and really liked it! I got one of the travel packets first so I could test it before committing to a tub. I mixed it with a frozen banana, 1 cup of soy milk, and some frozen blueberries. Tasty! The vanilla chai has me interested after hearing that it's sweet. I am normally trying to find ways to make my smoothies sweeter without adding more calories, so I'm going to try that one too.