| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soup with all the veggies
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:18 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Okay. So my CSA changed its delivery day, which meant that we got two boxes one day after another. I have so many veggies. I really want to make a nice soup, but when I wing it I usually go out of control with too many flavours and it ends up edible, but weird. I can't decide if I want to do a curried soup, or maybe something...else? I don't really want to do a chunky vegetable soup, because my boyfriend is a whiner about texture and I want him to like it so we can eat it for days.

So, I have:
Veggies/fruit: mixed choys, kohlrabi, tomatoes, celeriac/greens, celery, apples, tomatoes, shallots, leeks, garlic, fingerling potatoes, cabbage, beets/greens
Other stuff I have that I use in soups: pretty much all spices, curry powders and pastes, unsweetened soy milk, white wine, homemade mushroom broth, canned roasted tomatoes, dried wild mushrooms, dried herbs of all kinds, quinoa, red lentils, sprouted split peas, white rice, berbere (maybe I should make an Ethiopian stew?).

The thing is, I want to get rid of the gross celery and celeriac but I don't want the soup to tast extremely celery-ish. My mum makes an excellent creamy celery cashew soup, but I am determined not to buy another ingredient (I don't have any cashews or other nuts).

Suggestions? We really like bold and spicy flavours, and I like a bit of acidity in soup, but I don't want to throw everything into a pot and misuse all of this nice produce.

Post subject: Re: Soup with all the veggies
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

How about borscht? I grew up on one that contained finely shredded cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions and actually no beets. I recently made a variation on that by adding beets (their greens would fit well, too) and very finely chopped celery.

the method was: saute onions, celery, carrots (if available) like a sofrito base until soft and golden (I think leek cut into half-moons would also fit very well into this sofrito), add garlic and saute for a quick moment then add water/broth (your mushroom broth would be great) and potatoes, cabbage, beets, cook until soft. Add acid of choice (my mother used tomato paste but I'm sure a can of tomatoes, vinegar or lemon juice would also work).
Seasonings were always very simple for this soup: no more than salt and pepper since the vegetables provided a lot of flavour already. I do like to add some smoked paprika and dill.

If you have an immersion blender, blend up part of the soup or even all of it, depending on how pick your boyfriend is with texture. Serve with sour cream substitue of choice and crusty dark bread.

And you could serve oven roasted celeriac/kohlrabi on the side since I think both of those vegetables profit from that kind of preparation method.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:15 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Celeriac makes really good soup. I'd do garlic and either leeks or shallots, potatoes and celeriac, and maybe some greens. I'd probably use herbs of some kind (probaby thyme & rosemary or something like that), but if you want to disguise the celery taste a bit, maybe curry-ish spices would be better. Then just blend the whole lot up if you don't want it chunky.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks guys! Disappearing Ink, I might try that later this week. I ended up doing kind of an Ethiopian inspired soup (Ethiopian Borscht? Sure why not?) and used the leeks, onions, garlic, kohlrabi, beets, beet greens, potatoes, ginger, tomatoes, wine, and some berbere. Not bad!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you don't like the flavour of celeriac, try celeriac schnitzel.

There's no need to precook celeriac, just slice it really thin, 5 mm (less than 1/4 inch). Salt it and let rest for at least 30 min.

Wet mix: chickpea flour, water, nutritional yeast, black salt, turmeric for colour, black pepper if you like it
Dry mix: breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, dried herbs you like (I like marjoram)

Pat dry celeriac. Dip into wet mix, cover in dry mix, shallow fry on both sides or brush with oil and bake in the oven (180°C - 356 F).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

You can also freeze celeriac. My mother uses it a lot in split pea soup, and she buys a big one, peels it, cuts it in small pices and throws it in boiling water for a minute, just to blanch it. Then it stays in the freezer till ready to use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I freeze it without blanching it first. I used to blanch vegetables before freezing, but out of laziness I started to freeze them without blanching, and they are the same :/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

<3<3<3<3