| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Thanks g/living 2012... What are you making?!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:38 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Y'all, last night, my very not vegan family decided that I should make Thanksgiving this year. They will make a turkey for them, and I will make EVERYTHING else. I am so excited. My mother has Crohn's + Lupus + a Bunch of other auto-immune things, so her diet is super limited and she is always very wary of vegan things. But, I think I have the following menu approved. Share yours! I need a distraction from the election!

Snacks
Mushroom & Walnut Paté
Dried fruit, crackers, etc.

Sides
Fennel and Kabocha Squash Soup with candied pumpkin seeds
Roasted Brussels sprouts with pistachios and shallots
Chipotle sweet potatoes au gratin
Carrot, Apple & Beet Salad
Peach & Cornbread Stuffing
Smashed garlic potatoes with dill and horseradish
Arugula, cranberry, pear, and walnut salad with charred sweet corn and jalapeno and apple cider dressing.
Rosemary potato rolls
Mushroom gravy
Cranberry sauce

Vegan Main

Seitan roulade stuffed with figs and chestnuts

Dessert
Pumpkin and hazelnut pie, whipped coconut cream

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Post subject: Re: Thanks g/living 2012... What are you making?!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:14 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Ooh, it's time isn't it?

I have to keep everything gluten-free this year for my guests, so I'm not sure yet! But definitely Pumpkin Cheesecake for dessert.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:23 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I haven't thought that far ahead yet, but I really want to come to your house. Your menu sounds delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im pretty lucky for Thanksgiving. we go to my in-laws and they are pretty veg friendly AND the best part is i dont have to listen to stupid cracks about me not eating turkey or whatever all weekend long.
people just leave me alone and dont say anything about me not eating turkey.
huzzah!

they do most of the cooking but are super awesome and make me my own versions of the side dishes. so they keep some mashed potaotes aside without butter or milk, squash with no butter, stuffing outside the bird. they make their stuffing from scratch so i know there's no chicken stock in it.

the last couple years ive made the roasted brussel sprouts with apples and onions from Vegan Table and everyone really loves that.
this year im going to make the pumpkin pie and rad whip from VPITS.
last year i made cupcakes that weekend too.

my brother in law makes homemade cranberry sauce but i have to admit i really really like the jellied cranberry sauce in a can so i always bring a can and apologize to my brother in law.

this year i think im going to try the Vegan Hazelnut Cranberry Roast En Croute by Field Roast. if i decide against that i will definitely do the Celebration Roast.

ahhh...i LOVE Thanksgiving!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i am super excited about thanksgiving, but it looks like we're going to have a pretty small gathering this year. Plus, all the other vegans in my family are all no-salt,no-oil,no-sugar vegans... which is fine but means that it's not really that exciting for me to cook for them. I am unsure how to proceed. Do I make something super special and fancy that I (and the omnis) will love? Or do I make something more simple that the no-sos folks will love and I will find edible? Or do I do it all?? It will probably just come down to my energy level as the date gets closer.

but I love reading all your menus!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I know I'm trying out Isa's seitan roulade thingy this week to test drive making it for Thanksgiving. It looks so good!

Besides that, I'll probably make the usual- mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans with mush/onion/tamari, pan oyster mush stuffing, and so on and so forth. I haven't landed on any desserts yet, but the pumpkin cheesecake sounds like a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh yeah- and I want to try the phyllo/pesto roll-ups vijita was talking about in another post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yay, I love these threads! We're back to doing traditional foods this year. Usually we do Indian, Thai, Japanese, something like that but I had a hankering for good old comfort food. This year it's kinda all side dishes. My partner wants to try to make vegan fried chicken so I guess that will be our "meat'. In the past we've done pot pies or stuffed portabellos.

Snacks
crudites with AFR ranch dip
olives & pickles
sweet & sour party meatballs from Chef Chloe

Sides
pumpkin chili baked w/ cornbread topping
some kind of fancy winter salad or massaged kale salad
sweet potato souffle from Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food
spiced cranberry sauce from Low-cal Vegan Comfort Food
scalloped potatoes from Chloe's Kitchen
roasted brussels sprouts w/ hazelnuts from Chloe's Kitchen
rosemary roasted beets
savory butternut squash bake
vegan fried chicken (maybe using gardein?? I have no idea!)

Dessert
pecan pie from VPITS
boysenberry crisp
french vanilla ice cream from Vegan a la Mode

I'm pretty excited. It's the first Thanksgiving my husband and I are hosting at our house together. Only my folks are coming, but they love whatever I make so it's gonna be great!

Amey, maybe you can make a few simple dishes (there are lots in Forks over Knives cookbook!) for the ETL peeps or they could bring a few dishes to share but also make some decadent stuff ? Like maybe roasted & stuffed portabellos for the ETLs as their main course and some roasted veggies + a healthy salad? I dunno. That's tough! Isa's pumpkin bread pudding in the Forks Over Knives books would be a really yummy dessert that everyone would enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ameyfm wrote:
i am super excited about thanksgiving, but it looks like we're going to have a pretty small gathering this year. Plus, all the other vegans in my family are all no-salt,no-oil,no-sugar vegans.

They don't even make small exceptions for holidays?? (I totally realize the irony of my asking that since I'm assuming almost none of us make "small exceptions" like cheese/meat at holidays...but salt =/= animals)

Anyway, I'm envious of you guys with super long menus. I tend to do the same few things every year. I don't go too overboard because it's just the three of us, and occasionally my mom stops in. I do love reading your menus, though, and pretending like I have some reason to make a massive vegan feast to feed an army.

I basically do homemade tofurkey, mac and cheese, sweet potato casserole, a green, bread, and some sort of dessert (probably from VPITS this year.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'll be going to some very omni relatives and pretty much brining everything that I'll be eating. I don't mind, since they aren't very good cooks anyway. I'll ask them to leave some plain potatoes aside for me so I have something to drench in the Punk Rock Chick Pea Gravy I'll be bringing. That has been a big hit with my family in the past, so I'll bring enough to share.
Besides that, I'll make Tufuck (Chinese mock duck made of tofu skins. I figure if tofu turkey is tofurkey, tofu duck is tofuck.) if I can get a hold of yuba in time, otherwise maybe I'll make Isa's seitan roulade.
The only veggies they will serve will undoubtedly be a sad salad, which I can eat without dressing, and a yucky green been casserole that I wouldn't touch even if it were vegan. (Not true, I am compelled to try anything if it's vegan. But it really looks gross.) So I'm thinning of making a big pile of smokey garlicky kale.
If my mom brings the sweet potatoes, those will be vegan and simply but deliciously sliced, coated in maple syrup, and roasted.
I guess cranberry sauce is pretty much always vegan, but I can't stomach the canned stuff, which is what my relatives will serve, so unless someone else volunteers to make fresh cranberry sauce, I'll probably do that too.
For dessert I am definitely making vpits pumpkin cheesecake, with either whipped cashew or coconut cream.
So in short I'm making:
Punk Rock Chick Pea Gravy
Smokey Garlicky Kale
Tofuck
maybe cranberry sauce
Pumpkin Cheesecake with cashew or coconut cream
Not making but can eat:
plain potatoes
probably sweet potatoes
salad
maybe rolls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ameyfm wrote:
i am super excited about thanksgiving, but it looks like we're going to have a pretty small gathering this year. Plus, all the other vegans in my family are all no-salt,no-oil,no-sugar vegans... which is fine but means that it's not really that exciting for me to cook for them. I am unsure how to proceed. Do I make something super special and fancy that I (and the omnis) will love? Or do I make something more simple that the no-sos folks will love and I will find edible? Or do I do it all?? It will probably just come down to my energy level as the date gets closer.

but I love reading all your menus!

I'm planning on making this, which you could easily modify to have no salt:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/12/se ... rooms.html

I think I'm also gonna make pasta with butternut squash sauce from the PPK blog, which you could also modify to no oil, no salt.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm extremely excited. My mother and I are cooking together this year.

Snacks

Crackers
Hummus
Daiya cheddar wedge, dolled up in some way (thinking of mixing in tasty herbs)
Cocoa! This is while we watch the parade on television

Sides

Cranberry sauce(likely canned)
Stuffing- one of the add water ones, but I'll be adding veggies and maybe some gimme lean sausage to my portion
Garlic mashed potatoes
Roasted butternut squash
Maybe scalloped potatoes for me
Corn
Green beans
Rolls

Main

Tofurky roast! I've yet to decide on a baste

Dessert

Pumpkin cheesecake
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Chocolate pudding pie
and I'm crossing my fingers for banana cream pie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Keeping it pretty simple. My mom's side of the family is actually doing all vegan sides for us, so that'll be awesome, but we'll be making our own Thanksgiving at home and bringing plates to heat to all of our other family functions (like 3-4 total, uuughhh).

Field Roast celebration roast (or maybe the new Gardein one, haven't tried it yet)
sloppy southern dressing
mashed potatoes
sweet potato casserole
seared brussels sprouts with garlic and onions
canned cranberry sauce
some kind of gravy (possibly the lentil one from the tester kitchen)
either an apple pie or a pumpkin pie. My mom asked for the pecan pie recipe from VPITS, so maybe I'll get to eat that without having to cook it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:28 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Looks like I might be doing a vegas trip on the Fri - Sunday of thanksgiving weekend! maybe. Need to search for more cash in the couch cushions first...did you guys know it is SUPER cheap in Vegas that weekend?

Anyway, that means that on Thanksgiving we need to go super super cheap. (I don't do TG with my family, just at home with my man. I have some horror stories about them sneaking meat into my food. fork that.)

Usually, I do a traditional but veganized version of thanksgiving at my partners request, pretty elaborate, new dishes etc. but since we will need to go super cheap, I am thinking:

-Tofurkey roast (there in one in the freezer) or a seitan roast (VWG in the pantry). Or perhaps even the roast on the PPK blog
-Roasted Brussel Sprouts or garlic seared green beans or asparagus (depends on what is on sale)
-Mashed potatoes and punk rock gravy (or the Tofurkey gravy)
-Sweet potato drop biscuts
-A bottle of amazeballs Spanish Cava that we bought a couple of months ago, I have been saving it for TG

Not sure what super cheap desert I can make. Maybe cupcakes or cookies. Or muffins. We can bring them with us to vegas the next day. muffins save pretty good in tupperware or ziplock baggies, that can be my breakfast food for the trip.

It's not really special or anything, but I would rather spend my $$ and energy prepping for a small vacation I think.

who am I kidding...I will end up following this thread, getting inspired, and making something elaborate, spending too much $$ and stressing myself out hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2044

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 pm 
WRETCHED

Chicki wrote:
Looks like I might be doing a vegas trip on the Fri - Sunday of thanksgiving weekend! maybe. Need to search for more cash in the couch cushions first...did you guys know it is SUPER cheap in Vegas that weekend?

Quite a few years ago, I went to vegas for Thanksgiving. The only advice I'd give is try to come back on an odd day if you can, like Monday. It took us 11 hours to drive back (and it was a 5 hour drive normally?). That was when I lived in southern OC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:18 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

linanil wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Quite a few years ago, I went to vegas for Thanksgiving. The only advice I'd give is try to come back on an odd day if you can, like Monday. It took us 11 hours to drive back (and it was a 5 hour drive normally?). That was when I lived in southern OC.

Jebus. Yeah, took me like 10 hours once on labor day weekend. And I live in South OC too! I forgot the nightmare of to and from vegas on holiday weekends.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how many people are you folks cooking for that have super long menus?
im kinda drooling over all your food and want to sneak into your celebrations.

depending on how many of my husbands family members actually go the total could be somewhere between 6 and 10 and usually we have

turkey
mashed potatoes
some sort of squash
bread of some sort
cranberry sauce
gravy for the bird
stuffing

then i usually will make some sort of vegetable thing like the brussel sprouts and a faux meat for myself.

i want more food damnit!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:14 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hey Quarantined! heavens, no oil is pretty easy but no SALT is rough. I think the fatfreevegan blog is really helpful, and personally I use a lot of recipes from AFR and just cut the oil out myself (I wouldn't say I'm no oil, but that's just due to laziness. And, well, liking things with oil in them sometimes.) So I suppose I'd just modify those recipes without the salt too and go from there. What I would probably personally do is make some kinda large casserole dish for them to enjoy, modify one side or something, and then do the rest to impress :). Though judging from above I'm probably not as an involved chef as the others. I'm also wondering if this is at all a "bring a dish to share" situation, because that could help too.

Oh! And for desserts, I'd try chocolatecoveredkatie.com. Will they do natural sweeteners like stevia, or brown rice syrup? I know lots of people on this board hate stevia but I bake with it all the time (just use less than the amount of sugar called for because it's so uber sweet) and I've never had anyone notice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

This is my first vegan Thanksgiving and I am trying to figure out something that I could eat as a main dish while others could sample if they want. Pretty much our families menu for the past 31 years of my life has been:
Turkey and gravy
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes with butter and milk
Green beans with bacon (I'll admit, super delicious)
Store bought crescent rolls
Corn
Pickle and Olive tray and Cranberry can stuff and relish.

So unless I am going to starve and be made fun of by my family that thinks I am going through a phase, I need a tasty main dish.

Don't think I will cave, my digestive system loves the vegan diet and I will not turn back and suffer the consequences.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

we vary up our menu just a smidge every year, but it kinda stays the same:

walnut crusted tempeh
stuffing-stuffed vidalia onions
roasted garlic potatoes
Desdemona's best (ever!) mushroom gravy
roasted green beans with shallots & thyme
garlicky roasted asparagus
pumpkin pie with coconut whipped cream

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:06 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh yeah, I can't forget my raw cranberry sauce! My brother of all people started a version of this when he was a teenager (not exactly much of a cook) and I have changed it over the years.

It is raw, and pretty tart, but I LOOOOVE it. I am allergic to pineapple and I still make and eat this every year!

1 bag fresh raw cranberries
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1/2-3/4 cup raw pineapple
1/2-1 cup sugar (or other sweetener)
Water, if necessary (depends on how smooth you want it, and also how much water is in the cranberries)

Just put in the food processor and chop it up! Chunky or smooth, whatevs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm 
WRETCHED

redhairrising wrote:
Oh! And for desserts, I'd try chocolatecoveredkatie.com. Will they do natural sweeteners like stevia, or brown rice syrup? I know lots of people on this board hate stevia but I bake with it all the time (just use less than the amount of sugar called for because it's so uber sweet) and I've never had anyone notice.

My personal opinion regarding artificial sweeteners such as stevia is that I use them, I'm ok with them but I'd hesitate to use them for other people. People often have reactions to various sweeteners so I'd avoid them. I use pure white sugar if I'm baking for someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

LisaPunk wrote:
how many people are you folks cooking for that have super long menus?

Er, it's only 4 people we're cooking for -- me, husband, mom, dad. But we are all big eaters and then we'll have leftovers through the weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:18 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is probably a silly question but if i buy the Field Roast Hazlenut en croute thing today i can keep that in my freezer for the next two weeks and it will be fine right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next