| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Galaxy Rice Vegan Shreds appreciation thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It took me a while to love these. They are pretty gross melted just on top of a sandwich or pizza. And don't even think about making a grilled cheese with them. However, this is now my favorite available cheese to mix into things like sauces and pasta bakes. I made some penne last week with this mixed into V'con cashew ricotta and a little melted on top of a generous amount of sauce, and my whole entire house smelled like I had used real mozzarella. And the flavor...wow. It tasted just like the baked penne (because I don't like ziti) of years past.

Anyone else had successes with this?

Post subject: Re: Galaxy Rice Vegan Shreds appreciation thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

do you have publix in NC? the publixes here (even the ghetto one!) just started carrying daiya.

i think i tried the galaxy cheese on my first attempt to go vegan and i think it delayed my veganism as a result.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:50 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Are the shreds the same as the block? My mom bought me two of the Galaxy rice cheese blocks (one cheddar and one white) and I have no idea what to do with them. I don't even really like vegan cheese. I guess I will try the pasta thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ashley wrote:
Are the shreds the same as the block? My mom bought me two of the Galaxy rice cheese blocks (one cheddar and one white) and I have no idea what to do with them. I don't even really like vegan cheese. I guess I will try the pasta thing.

I don't know! I know I've bought the rice pepperjack before and it was okay, not superb, but nice for tossing on a bean burger from time to time. I just like the shreds because they nailed a certain flavor from dairy cheese the vegan ones lack. The mozz even freaks me out because it smells like mozzarella.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

jacblades wrote:
i think i tried the galaxy cheese on my first attempt to go vegan and i think it delayed my veganism as a result.

HAHAHAHAHA. I tried this the first week I went vegan and as a result did not eat vegan cheese again for 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:19 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i know they've recently reformulated their recipes, but it still has the texture of paste. (i am another person who, like jac, had the block early in their veganism or prior to their veganism and swore off vegan cheese for quite a while. it must have been circa 2002 or something.) i'm actually surprised they remained in business with such a horrible product. (but i guess i wasn't mixing it in stuff. i was hoping it could stand on it's own.)

has veggy cheese always been owned by them? if so, that could explain why they stayed in business. the slices were great! i know i bought my fair share of them before i found out they weren't vegan, cause i was a big fan of grilled cheese sammiches.

(their parmesan could have also been keeping them in business. for a long time, that was the only option, and a suitable product.) i'm just fascinated that they were selling enough of the vegan block cheese to keep it in their portfolio. (and that grocery stores kept it in stock.)

i know, this was the opposite of appreciation. sorry.