| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Costco thread - tasty finds, sad letdowns
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just wanted to add to the San Diego folks looking for Field Roast, I have found the twelve pack sausages twice now in the La Mesa Costco. It is a great deal compared to Whole Foods.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
Liz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 am 
Saggy Butt

Most of what I buy at Costco regularly is already listed here, but I also buy: Organic brown rice - 12 lb. bag for $13.39. That should last me a year. The stuffed grape leaves in the refrigerated section are pretty tasty. Also, they had resealable bags of chocolate chips last time I was there. I don't recall the price, but they seemed like a really good deal.

Medjool dates
Vanilla beans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I was there yesterday and found rice vinegar, 710 mL for $3.39. That's twice the size of the grocery store bottle that costs around $3.99.

I don't find the produce a bargain here (Nova Scotia). Prices and quality are better elsewhere, especially Pete's and the farm market places like Avery's.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Arisaig wrote:
I was there yesterday and found rice vinegar, 710 mL for $3.39. That's twice the size of the grocery store bottle that costs around $3.99.

I don't find the produce a bargain here (Nova Scotia). Prices and quality are better elsewhere, especially Pete's and the farm market places like Avery's.

Agree, Arisaig! I buy all my produce at markets, Superstore, or Pete's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Today's WINs:

- Barley vegetable soup in the fridge section. Tasty!
- Frozen Aji No Moto yakisoba. Neither it nor the soup are all that cheap, but so convenient and easy to nuke when I'm lazy!
- I bought the giant bag o' ground flax. That stuff had better be fresh because I hate fishy flax. Haven't tried it yet - we'll see!
- ginormous bag of frozen brown rice. Yes, I could make and freeze my own, and haven't done a cost comparison, but mine usually freezes in one giant block that I regret later.

FAILS: That broccoli souplantation salad. Every time I see it I think it looks vegan and delicious from afar, but upon closer inspection it is obviously neither. Harrumph. I want a vegan option with the gourmet salads!!! Something with substantial veggies, some protein, maybe a grain, and a good dressing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:13 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So I'm heading there today. I've heard of people in the Midwest finding Go Picnic meals at Costco - but I only know of the beef ones being seen so far. 4 for <$11 IIRC. I would love to find some of the vegetarian ones for those prices to send with my husband on his boat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:10 pm 
Crazy bat lady

annak wrote:
I want a vegan option with the gourmet salads!!! Something with substantial veggies, some protein, maybe a grain, and a good dressing.

Today I grabbed a set of 4 prepackaged salads (they are new this week at my Fresno Costco):
-romaine, garbanzos, quinoa, raisins, almonds, carrots, red cabbage, with an orange vinaigrette that has honey in it so I'll have to pack a little of my own dressing.

$10.99 for four, in the grocery store they're $4/each.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Glad to hear they're getting a little more veg-friendly! I saw some new prepackaged ones today including what looked like a vegetarian spinach salad, but it was definitely not vegan (hard boiled eggs and cheese, I think). I didn't check the ingredients beyond that or buy it.. The husband's O-L veg so it caught my eye, but I would prefer a good vegan option or two obviously!!

Today's costco peeve: I did find the Go Picnic thing today, and they have hummus ones!! They're $12 for 4, way below what ordering them costs...BUT they bundle 2 hummus with 2 turkey stick ones. GRRRRR. Somewhere there's a meateater allergic to chickpeas I need to befriend! But why can't they just sell me one kind??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Most of my regular purchases have already been mentioned, but yesterday I picked up a twin pack of the giant bottles of Frank's for like $5. Handy for football playoffs and all the attendant tempeh wings, plus my new year's resolution to put the tahini sauce from Isa's hoppin' john bowl on everything I eat.

They had the 1.5-lb bag of organic baby kale, so I snagged one of those too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:20 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I was looking for those twin packs of Frank's last week to make Isa's new year's bowl and there were none! I had to pay twice as much at the grocery store.

I did get some decent springrolls, though, with no egg in the wrappers, and a huge bag of Cara Cara oranges.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I love the big bags of greens for under $4 each.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:56 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

The 12 packs of Field Roast sausages have finally arrived in the Michigan stores!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Can anyone tell me which Costco in San Diego carries the Field Roast? Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

The new organic Kirkland Diced Tomatoes are really good. Very plump. We also love the Stuffed Grape Leaves. The baby Organic Spinach is triple washed, really good and very fresh. We recently discovered frozen organic berries. 3 lb bags about $13.00.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

dakini wrote:
The 12 packs of Field Roast sausages have finally arrived in the Michigan stores!

This gives me hope! We have never been in the Costco here but have been thinking of checking it out and going there instead of Sam's Club if the longer trip is worthwhile (which would depend on product selection). I'd love to be able to buy big packs of Field Roast sausage and freeze them (if they aren't already frozen). The organic items are intriguing too. Since we went vegan, we don't buy much at Sam's anymore...mostly TP, paper towels, peanuts, and Clif bars.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm 

karichelle wrote:
dakini wrote:

This gives me hope! We have never been in the Costco here but have been thinking of checking it out and going there instead of Sam's Club if the longer trip is worthwhile (which would depend on product selection). I'd love to be able to buy big packs of Field Roast sausage and freeze them (if they aren't already frozen). The organic items are intriguing too. Since we went vegan, we don't buy much at Sam's anymore...mostly TP, paper towels, peanuts, and Clif bars.

I know they were coming to Chicago too. I'd be very surprised if they weren't coming to Indiana soon, if they haven't already.
The 12 packs in michigan were 11.99, which is a deal because the 4 packs recently went up to 5.99 at whole foods. eta: and if they were refrigerated, not frozen, but you can definitely freeze them if you won't eat them right away. We love them so they don't last very long. ; )

You may find it worthwhile. The hummus and salsa at my Costco are vegan and made locally and are incredible values. I also enjoy the selection of giant bags of grains, flours, nuts, and the packs of cans of tomatoes, pasta noodles... a lot of great things have already been mentioned in this thread, of course, these are just some of my favorites for our region.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:28 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I would actually be shopping in Kentucky...I live about 10 miles from downtown Louisville. I know with Whole Foods, the Louisville store is a different region than the Indy store and gets totally different products...hopefully Costco would be different.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I am OBSESSED with the pickled asparagus spears they sell. I don't have a costco membership so when I find someone to go with the rare times I'll buy like three packs (2pack) of those. And they hardly last me and my roommate two weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Really appreciating this thread -- going to Costco to get a membership tomorrow! I have no idea what vegan goodies they'll have, it's gonna be a gamble. I've been told they have big jars of coconut oil for about $16, so that's something, at least.

... what do you guys make with dried mushrooms?

Tweet me @meansoybean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Do not buy "azumagourmet Seaweed salad". Looked really good but when I got home and checked the ingredients I realized they used yellow 5 and blue 1 coloring. These are on the list of horrible additives that should be banned. I'm returning it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Quote:

Which MI store do you shop at? I've tried a few different locations (I'm in Lansing and they're all quite a drive), but haven't been impressed with the selection compared to the Costco I shopped at when I lived in CA. I'd love to get Field Roast, though!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 pm 

I shop at the Shelby location on Hall Rd. the Field Roast rep I chatted with said they would be at all of the Michigan Costco stores, though!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

dakini wrote:
I shop at the Shelby location on Hall Rd. the Field Roast rep I chatted with said they would be at all of the Michigan Costco stores, though!

That's awesome. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Just bought glasses at Costco. Paid $140 for an eye exam (inc contact exam) and got 2 pairs of glasses for $339 (lenses were $120).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Ugh. I need contacts. Been wearing this pair 2 months and it's my last. I want to join the water aerobics though. Stupid join fee.

I better suck it up and go get contacts this week. Costco definitely is a good deal for that. I think they are $10-15 more overall than the cheapest online place (I have the monthly night and day), but I'd rather get them at Costco for convenience and any possible issues that might arise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next