| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: It's the Christmas menu thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:24 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have three pages of groceries on my list. crepe. They're spaced out a lot and most are tiny quantities of stuff (ie: two tablespoons of coriander seeds) but STILL! I am so crazy. If I can't find a fresh coconut for my coconut chutney I'm going to lose my shiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:40 am 
Inflexitarian

vijita wrote:
If I can't find a fresh coconut for my coconut chutney I'm going to lose my shiitake.

I know what you mean! I thought I was going to need to beat people off with a stick to get to the last bunch of chives this morning, but it was surprisingly quiet & well-stocked at the shops, I managed to get all those last minute things I needed with minimal violence.

I'm quite excited. This is the first time I've made a wellington. I did a chestnut, cranberry & orange stuffing (which is so fruity & Christmasy!) for my seitan roast, which all worked out well. Then I made duxelles & crepes, & now my seitan is all snugly wrapped up in the fridge. In the morning I'll wrap it in flaky pastry & glaze it before popping it in the oven. I can't wait to cut into it to see how the layers look. For now, I'm totally knackered. I've been cooking all day!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:55 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm actually making nothing too Christmasy, instead, I'm using up the veg odds and ends of potlucks and get-togethers of late. So I'm making a ginger hot and sour soup (from Garden of Vegan) to use up some leftover snowpeas, Joanna's quinoa tabbouleh (to use up some parsley and mint) with spiced pitas (from YRR and VCON respectively - also, red and green Christmas-coloured tabbouleh!) for Christmas food and after Christmas, I'll make the Chana from Terry's new book VEW. But for Christmas day my food is the hot and sour soup, tabbouleh and spiced pitas. I'm going to my sister's for the day so it's easy to take stuff I enjoy that I can nosh on straight from the fridge, like a salad. Of course, there will be cookies galore to eat, too.

For New Year's, I'm making a spaghetti dinner with tempeh meatballs (from Isa's upcoming book) with garlic bread from Chloe's book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:02 am 
WELFARIST!

Just like some folks upthread, I have totally done a Middle Eastern type of Christmas dinner and it was awesome. I use the recipes from Teany cookbook for mine and I was sorely tempted to do it again this Christmas because I love it so much, but I often make it in the summer, too. It's wonderful year round! Anyway, I think it's like a lentil and walnut salad, a version of tabbouleh with quinoa, a red-pepper roasted huumus and some toasted pitas. Simple and special and awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:03 am 
WELFARIST!

epcarie wrote:
I'm freaking out - tomorrow is Christmas Eve and I still don't know what I'm making! I'm considering:
-chickpea cutlets
-tempeh shepherdess pie
-sumptuous shepherd's stew (http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pag ... 3&catId=11)
-PPK roasted butternut alfredo

Can anyone help me decide?

I vote for the tempeh shepherdess pie! But they all sound like wonderful options so anything you choose would be awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:52 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Field Roast en croute
Roasted broccolette
AFR baby carrots & maple syrup
Garlic mashed potatoes
Mushroom gravy
Roasted sweet potatoes
Sauteed greens
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin pie

I am so hungry right now . . .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So we had an early christmas dinner with my husband's family on Sunday and I was put in charge of cooking everything! It came out great and everyone loved it. Chickpea cutlets were the star of the party; I think 8 omnis have joined the cutlet cult! We did -

-hummus and pita chips for appetizers
-big ol' garden salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette and giant chunks of avocado on top
-baked chickpea cutlets simmered in homemade cream of celery soup
-red quinoa (to serve cutlets over)
-cranberry sauce
-roasted beets w/ garlic and rosemary
-roasted veggie mix: onion, potato, carrot, garlic, mushrooms
-peas smothered in EB

For dessert we had the skillet blackberry crisp from Vegan Diner, peppermint Joe-Joe truffles, candied pecans, and coffee with silk creamer. Sooooo good.

Now we're driving up to my folks' place and I think they're cooking for us. I wanted something easy for them to make so I suggested grilled portabellas, mashed potatoes, green peas, and a salad. Mmmm, I love holiday meals! Hope you all have delicious dinners tonight!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:10 am 
WRETCHED

We had dinner at my grandmothers yesterday and I made rice and beans, fruit salad and my mom made a veggie salad. My grandmother made tamales but that was the only non-vegan thing. We had tofurkey too and I wasn't going to cook that but my mom doesn't eat much beans so she wanted it. My mom said she liked the tofurkey. We had a food meal overall :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:32 am 
Nailed to the V

I just had Christmas dinner...well, a while ago but it took me the last hour to wash up :p

Did the Redwoods Gammon Style Roast with roast potatoes, whole roast onions, Brussels tossed in butter (that is, vitalite),leeks and spring onions fried with thyme and a vegetarian gravy with rosemary. The gravy was far too salty, had marmite in and we went a bit ott :p still tasty though! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:37 am 
Impressive boner

Later on I'll be making seitan en croute with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, carrots and peas and gravy. Dessert will be Christmas pudding and custard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

breakfast: tofu scramble (VWAV)
Dinner: stuffing (homemade), garlic shaved brussel sprouts, cranberry &cashew biryani, silky chickpea gravy (all AFR) and mashed potato.
Dessert: Berry Muffin (VB) heated up with sliced banana and homemade cacao peppermint ice-cream.
Snacks: Texas BBQ Pringles, Lotus biscuits, choices chocolate caramels.

Best Christmas dinner I've had! I had more things down to make but decided it would have been far too much food for one person!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:42 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Breakfast was PPK gingerbread flax muffins, PPK smoky maple sausages, and hot cocoa (my own recipe). Dinner was chickpea cutlets (a little overcooked, but still good!), PPK mushroom gravy (amazing!), mashed potatoes, and AFR sweet & salty maple carrots. Pretty simple, but delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the lasagna idea, because my dinner was great. I made a lasagna, cooked it at my moms, and just added some green beans and a roll, along with fresh fruit and veggies. It was funny though because of all the appetizers there, hardly anyone touched my chips and salsa. All the cheesy meaty stuff was eaten to pieces. Oh well. It was not eaten by me. Even my husband had some of my vegan lasagna and family parties is the only time he really gets non vegan food. No one else even tried it though for the fact it was meatless. More leftovers for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I know this is late but I chopped up some portobello mushrooms and roasted them in the oven with a bit of garlic and rosemary and then added the mixture to some chopped walnuts and chestnuts and drizzled in a bit of truffle oil and then wrapped the whole mixture up in puff pastry. Served it with some stuffing, roasted potatoes, carrots, roasted parsnips and sprouts. Had Christmas pudding and custard for dessert. It was yummy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 pm 
Kale Wreath

This is more like "my holiday visit menu" because I just made a bunch of stuff and mixed and matched for the various holiday meals my relatives had:

mixed green salad with baby tomatoes, tamari roasted chickpeas and AFR balsamic vinaigrette
AFR black beans in red velvet mole
FFV brown rice-stuffed baked tofu with mushroom gravy
caulipots
steamed carrots
steamed broccoli
baked squash/yams
almond date balls
plum pudding with veganized hard sauce
apple pie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7