| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's your spirit recipe(s)?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:44 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

enchiladas
Indian curry
Thai curry
pancakes and roasted potatoes
biscuits and gravy

all of these work with whatever you have on hand for protein or veggies - I'm not a meal planner at all, so I get what looks good at the co-op and usually make some form of one of the above, often bowl-style.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

peanut noodles
coconut curries - either a more Indian-inspired chickpea/spinach version or a rich tofu/veg Thai curry
macaroni (which is actually more my partner's spirit recipe that I make for him, I don't love it)
chili
tacos
pizza with homemade dough and all kinds of toppings, but definitely always caramelized onions

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

linanil wrote:
I cheat by using berbere spices bought from an Ethiopian store. Sautéed some onions in coconut oil, add a can of diced tomatoes, some water, berbere spice and red lentils. Stew until done.

i love this idea - totally going to make these (they sound absolutely awesome). thanks so much for sharing, linanil!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

I love this idea... mine are:

Irish Stew - seitan, carrots, celery, potato, in a tomato-ey broth, to which I add Worcestershire sauce seasonings- but not the sauce because they're all made with onion, which I'm allergic to- and the broth often doesn't need thickening because the potatoes will if simmered long enough.

Shepherd's Pie- I sautee seitan, carrots, celery, other veg as desired, in garlic, olive oil and soy sauce. Make a gravy with a little tomato paste and soy sauce, basil and a boullion cube. Combine in baking dish, top with mashed potatoes.

Noodle soup- broth from a boullion cube, ramen or udon noodles, lots of fresh veggies and tofu cubes.

Quinoa with light, lemon and soy sauce sauteed seitan, and garlic sauteed kale.

Fried tofu with mashed potatoes and broccoli. I season tofu slices with garlic powder and soy sauce and cook them on both sides in olive oil until heated through. This is my daughter's favorite meal.

And black bean tacos- just cook black beans with oregano, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder. Put in warm corn tortillas with a little Tapatio sauce and a lot of avocado.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Mine rotate every so often, but currently they are:

Tempeh (though occasionally I'll use seitan or something else) with spicy balsamic sauce and spinach noodles
Chili (I've been riffing off a friend's recipe recently which is a 3-bean garbanzo/kidney/black bean chili and it's sooooo good)
Pumpkin tofu scramble
Lemony-cuminy kale dal
Some variant of greens'n'beans
Garlic-lime butter seitan (usually with kale)
Lemon chickpea soup (a cross between Desdemona's Avgolemono and Isa's Chickpea Rice Soup with a Little Kale)

Those are just my usual cooking-for-myself spirit recipes :D When I want to impress people, I have some others:
Saag paneer (or sometimes saag chole, but usually if I have time I'll make the tofu paneer)
Curry apple quinoa
Basil-walnut green beans
Pumpkin-peanut mushroom kale soup

Also, I'm not sure if stovetop popcorn really counts as a spirit recipe, but I make it so often that it probably should.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:02 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I can honestly only think of two recipes that would qualify as 'spirit recipes' for me: spicy tortilla soup and African peanut soup.

I desperately need to expand my repertoire.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:43 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have a busy life so my "spirit recipes" have to be fast and/or with lots of down time, and ideally one-pot. These are my week night go-tos:

- Lentil soup (a variation of the one from Yellow Rose Recipes)
- Cashew curry (a super simplified version of the one from the Asian Vegan kitchen): I steam carrots, potatoes, cauliflower in one pot, heat up spices in another and grind them with cashews, a can of crushed tomatoes and lemon juice. Heat up the sauce and serve on the veggies. You can do it even faster with premade curry paste.
- "Everything roasted": all the roots vegetables I have around, cut in matchsticks + a can of chickpeas, sprinkled with chili powder, salt and lemon juice, in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Ideally with a side of greens (stir fried with garlic, olive oil, salt and a healthy splash of lemon juice) for balance.
- "Do it yourself" Mexican style: servings of guac, salsa, chopped veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions) and beans + wraps
- "Do it yourself" middle eastern style: same concept - servings of raw, chopped veggies, roasted chickpeas, roasted eggplant slices, hummus + wraps
- the garlick/Brussels sprouts/chickpea/lemon recipe from AFR
- Easy ramen: one pot of kombu+miso broth in which to cook the noodles, one pan to stir-fry mushrooms + whatever greens I have around (in sesame oil), slices of smoked tofu under the grill. Serve with raw spring onion, mung beans & sesame seeds.
- Chirashizushi (scattered sushi): a bowl of sushi rice (with mirin and sugar) topped with whatever sushi fillings I have around (tempeh crumbs, seaweed, sesame seeds, avocado and green onion usually)

And of course all sorts of pasta:
- pasta putanesca
- pasta + Esme's special sauce + spinach
- pasta + fried mushrooms + cashew cream + truffle oil (okay, less balanced than the rest, but so delicious. Especially sprinkled with faux parmesan, or even straight up almond meal + salt)

Then in the winter I do a lot of soups. It's not as ideal as they aren't particularly rich in protein or greens, which I try to have as often as possible. Also, I can't take leftovers to work for lunch. We usually eat them with a side of bread + tartex or hummus.
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Vichyssoise (potato-leek soup with white wine and cream)
- Spicy pumpkin-carrot soup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

missmuffcake wrote:
Chia berry jam - my go to fix for oatmeal to french toast.

You mentioned the chia jam before and I am super intrigued. I have to try this!

RavenMcCoy wrote:
Mine is definitely PB Noodles (as my boyfriend calls it). I cook up some kind of cool-shaped pasta (bowties!), steam/stir-fry whatever veggies are lying around (but mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli are especially good) and then I whip up a peanut sauce w/ natural peanut butter, sriracha, soy sauce, and water. Sometimes I throw some scallions and/or sesame seeds on top if I'm feeling fancy.

Sounds like my boyfriend's go-to recipe. Stir fried vegetables and noodles with a simplified satay sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:31 am 
Ninja Master

Veg curry. Probably not in any way authentic but easy and delicious and a crowd pleaser (if I go easy on the chillies). Whenever I'm cooking for people I don't know that well it's what I'll make.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Pasta Salad! If I didn't love to cook I'd probably just eat that every day for every meal. Throw in some hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes, blammo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:39 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

choirqueer wrote:

Pumpkin tofu scramble

okay - please share! pumpkin time and all! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:33 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

missmuffcake wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

Pumpkin tofu scramble

okay - please share! pumpkin time and all! :)

My recipe is basically zwingtip's recipe. I usually use a whole can of pumpkin, triple all the spices, and add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a ton of nooch. And like...a million cloves of garlic and a full head of kale. http://choirqueer.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... astronomz/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This is really just a variation on an oldie but goodie "spirit recipe", but my new thing is crispy tofu with smoked salt and lemon, garlicky flash-fried wild mushrooms, and a huge pile of whatever greens I get in my CSA, simply steamed and dabbed with homemade chilli garlic sauce. As long as bread and marmite were still allowed I could eat this happily for the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:31 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

linanil wrote:

Red rice

What is this? Maybe similar to Spanish Rice?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

See, I don't have much in the way of true spirit recipes if the main requirement is that you don't have to follow recipes. My only ones then are Tofu Scramble (Tofu scramble Revisited on the blog is my spice combo), lazy curry with cauliflower, canned diced tomatoes and sweet potato, usually with chickpeas or lentils, lazy stir fry with whatever veg on hand and frozen edamame, and super lazy spaghetti and tomato sauce with whatever veg need using up. And chili. And lentil soup.

Thing is, if there is a recipe for something I will revisit the recipe over and over and over, even if I know what I am doing. I'm so scared of "screwing up". But a couple recipes like Vcon Leek and Bean Cassoulet, Snobby Joes and Chef Chloe's Mac and Cheese are ones that I always pull up the recipe for but are becoming second nature and I am confident subbing, and I have the timing down pat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

Chocolate chip cookies, various versions of noochy macaroni. . . Mock Chipotle/Qdoba bowls. Not too much yet.