| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do you educate people on tofu?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:11 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Also yes to the veggies! This happens to me at the farmers' market all the time in the summer. Especially with kohlrabi.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I sort of feel bad for the cashier when I do a big veggie run. They are flipping through that book as I explain what everything is... Kohlrabi is a good one for that along with celery root and daikon.

As far as the tofu education, it all depends on the vibe I'm getting from the other party. If their tone is genuinely curious, as in "huh, I've never eaten tofu, what does it taste like" I'll let them know its a chameleon taking on the flavors of what you do with it, press it out and marinate, etc. If its a vegan-pet-peeve-worthy-candidate on the other end of the conversation I usually just look at my phone and start a new Words with Friends game or something in lieu of engaging in discussion. With all the turkey and Thanksgiving shiitake lately, I just don't have the energy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Jonny Guitar wrote:
postnothing wrote:
i don't know what to say to the guys who think it will give them boobs though. "uhh no" doesn't really suffice.

Lol...this hasn't happened yet. Funny guys spend hours bench pressing to get a larger chest and do flyes to define the contours of their chest, but they are worried about tofu giving them boobs.

I've had a few people bring up the concern that soy consumption messes with hormones. I usually just say I believe it's totally fine in moderation and sometimes (if I feel they are genuinely interested in soy instead of trying to poke holes in my diet) I send them a link to this piece from T Nation. It's not a perfect article, but for the guys who display a fear of estrogen, I feel like T Nation is a source they'll trust. At the end the authors "want people to re-freakin-lax when it comes to soy. Moderate doses of whole-food soy proteins really are no big deal."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I educate about veggies, that comes up a lot. Also tempeh, but no one has ever asked if I like it, just how to cook it.

No one has ever said anything to me about tofu, but if they asked if I liked it and I had a ton of it in my cart, the answer is, "obviously."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
I educate about veggies

You mean you vedgucate :)

I don't educate anyone on anything. Maybe I am buying too many boring veggies or shopping at WF and TJs too much....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

People have asked me about my veggies in line at wf! And nothing even that weird.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:58 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Yes. Random people at the checkout line and even clerks. And usually they are nice and intrigued about it. So I tell them about pressing tofu and marinating.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The worst is when a cashier sees a perfectly normal eggplant and asks what the name of that vegetable is.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Minatomachi wrote:
The worst is when a cashier sees a perfectly normal eggplant and asks what the name of that vegetable is.

I was shopping the other day and a woman picked up an aubergine, turned to me and said, "What on earth is this?" I didn't think aubergines were that far out and weird but I guess it depends what you eat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My co-op has bulk tofu, and I recently entered in a conversation with a girl my age who said she had just gone vegan (without vegetarian first) and wasn't sure what to do with the stuff after she saw me take some. Obviously I mentioned the ppk as a reference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:23 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I once posted snarky on FB like "If you can't cook tofu, you probably shouldn't be cooking at all."

When I explain it, usually I find it's just ignorance and a perception that it is more difficult than it really is.
I typically explain that it's not that difficult if you know the very basics of cooking things.

Although, in the past I have also had lots of people selectively use the "it's a heavily processed food" argument. I'd be curious to know how people respond to that.

I'm surprised how many people get grocery store questions. I've been buying lots of tofu and tempeh for years and I never get asked a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It's like one step more processed than hard cheese, maybe the same amount of processed if you consider aging to be processing. About as processed as jelly with the solid fruit pieces strained out. It's just not all that processed, the end.

I do think it's a little complicated to cook with, though. It isn't really analogous to any other food in terms of cooking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yeah, if people bring up the processed food argument, I like to compare it with cheese, and say that you could make it at home if you wanted too. Usually 'processed' is sort of synonymous with 'made in a factory'. If you can make it at home, how processed can it really be?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Seems everytime I am shopping and have a load of tofu (on sale and bound for freezer), I get asked by someone if actually like that stuff. I| always respond by letting them know about pressing first and then marinating for flavour, and then I follow up with freezing for texture change. Most people are really curious to try it out after learning that nobody really likes the flavour of a chunk out of the pack thrown into a pan -- though, I love it straight of the pack.

Just wondering if anybody gets into these situations and how you handle it? I never go into the animal rights aspect of it unless they bring it up but I get the feeling that lots of people would like to be able to eat it but just have had a really bad experience with homemade tofu meals.

I get this question a lot as well. I always answer that you need to know how to cook it. Interesting to hear about the marinating. I never marinate tofu, I just back it straight from the pack, cut it first ofcourse. Then when it browned a bit I'll add some flavours directly off the stove like soy sauce, agave syrup and nutritional yeast, shake shake and done. It's delicious and super quick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Ariann wrote:
It's like one step more processed than hard cheese, maybe the same amount of processed if you consider aging to be processing. About as processed as jelly with the solid fruit pieces strained out. It's just not all that processed, the end.

I do think it's a little complicated to cook with, though. It isn't really analogous to any other food in terms of cooking.

I didn't grow up cooking meat, so I'm never sure how close it is in terms of cooking stuff like that. My impression has been that the fact that tofu is a "blank slate", so to speak, is very confusing to most people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:03 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

if there is genuine interest - then yes. but i find any sort of tofu question from the tofu-deprived just an off comment...