| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unopened soy milk left out overnight?
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:23 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Yesterday afternoon I bought one of those 2 half gallon packs of soy milk from whole foods that comes in a cardboard box in the refrigerated section and left it on the counter. I didn't notice until now when I was baking that I needed to refrigerate that...

I opened one and it smells/tastes like normal soy milk. My stomach is sensitive so if I think about how I'm trying to see if I get queasy from tasting it, I probably will and that won't solve the problem.

Would you use it? I'd just bake with it, but for other people. But it smells fine and I didn't open it til now.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Unopened soy milk left out overnight?
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

if they're in those cardboard boxes, they don't have to be refrigerated until they're open anyway, right? maybe those are just in the cold section so you can use them right away if you want. but i would think it is fine, as long as the seal wasn't broken.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:22 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I would use it. I would just try to use it up faster than normal. Assume it's lost a few days of shelf life from not being refrigerated.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:34 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

If it smells fine, I still use it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:37 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'd definitely still use it, but I'd have probably still used it if it had been opened!

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:41 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

jojo wrote:
I'd definitely still use it, but I'd have probably still used it if it had been opened!

+1. Actually, now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I have left opened soy milk on the counter overnight and used it the next day. Probably a few times.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So I'm thinking we should maybe develop a kind of shorthand with all these similar threads that keep popping up, as they all end up, as Mo pointed out, with pretty much the same people saying the same things every time.

It seems to me the responses fall into two categories - the "Food Riskers" like me, who would generally use sense of smell, taste and a bit of common sense to decide whether to eat something, and the "Food Cautious" who would generally never eat something that hadn't been stored according to the manufacturer's guidelines. Our responses typically cancel each other out.

And so the really useful information - the line in the sand, as it were - is not which foods the Food Riskers would eat (like the soyamilk above) but which foods they *wouldn't* eat (like the dhosa ferment), whilst you could take it as read the that Food Cautious never would. And similarly, the top end would be the foods that the Food Cautious *would* eat (eg the unopened tahini that was a couple of days out of date).

So there's no point a Food Risker saying "I'd drink this milk", because it doesn't add any information, and similarly there's no point a Food Cautious person saying "I wouldn't drink this milk". What you need in this case is for people to say "I'm Food Cautious and yes, I would" or "I'm a Food Risker and even I wouldn't".

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mollyjade wrote:
I would use it. I would just try to use it up faster than normal. Assume it's lost a few days of shelf life from not being refrigerated.

I agree with this. Use it quickly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:23 pm 

i agree with ruby rose. we REALLY need a sticky titled 'would you eat this?' that way, they all go in one place.

edit - regardless of whether they cancel eachother out or not. people are still gonna ask.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:33 pm 
Chard Martyr

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10140

A stickied thread for these questions. Please from now just use that thread!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:38 pm 
Chard Martyr

The way I think of things like this is: is it worth $2.75 to get sick and puke and/or have diarrhea for 2 days?

I tend to eat things that have expired, but are stored properly a lot more readily than I would eat things left out over night.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Ruby Rose wrote:
So I'm thinking we should maybe develop a kind of shorthand with all these similar threads that keep popping up, as they all end up, as Mo pointed out, with pretty much the same people saying the same things every time.

It seems to me the responses fall into two categories - the "Food Riskers" like me, who would generally use sense of smell, taste and a bit of common sense to decide whether to eat something, and the "Food Cautious" who would generally never eat something that hadn't been stored according to the manufacturer's guidelines. Our responses typically cancel each other out.

And so the really useful information - the line in the sand, as it were - is not which foods the Food Riskers would eat (like the soyamilk above) but which foods they *wouldn't* eat (like the dhosa ferment), whilst you could take it as read the that Food Cautious never would. And similarly, the top end would be the foods that the Food Cautious *would* eat (eg the unopened tahini that was a couple of days out of date).

So there's no point a Food Risker saying "I'd drink this milk", because it doesn't add any information, and similarly there's no point a Food Cautious person saying "I wouldn't drink this milk". What you need in this case is for people to say "I'm Food Cautious and yes, I would" or "I'm a Food Risker and even I wouldn't".

I love this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

allularpunk wrote:
if they're in those cardboard boxes, they don't have to be refrigerated until they're open anyway, right? maybe those are just in the cold section so you can use them right away if you want. but i would think it is fine, as long as the seal wasn't broken.

This just isn't true. If it's the refrigerated kind, it will specifically say, "Keep refrigerated" on it. It's not the same as the aseptic package shelf stable variety. The aseptic packages will say "Refrigerate after opening."

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:15 pm 

i didn't realize. there are no cardboard box kinds in my own refrigerated section. sorry!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:02 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I can tell you that spoiled soy milk will smell and taste weird right out of the box. If it smells normal, there is nothing wrong with it. And I know this is bad, I can also tell you that I've drunk (slightly) spoiled soymilk many times and never gotten sick. Not saying everyone will be that lucky, but I may as well share my experience.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]