| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Eat it! I almost never refrigerate baked goods like apple crisp. The acidity of the apples and the sugar in the topping should act as natural preservatives.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:48 pm 
Chip Strong

You know, I'm not sure about this one. I always refrigerate apple crisp, but not necessarily apple pie. I'm not sure that crisps need refrigeration, but I can't find an authoritative source right now. I have had peach cobble get moldy after a few days on the counter before I got wise about food safety and spoilage, but I'm a bit perplexed about the differences from a food safety standpoint.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:18 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I would eat the crisp. But again, I'm gross.

(although,after more thought, in this instance I am NOT gross. None o f the individual ingredients- sugar, oil, oats, flour, apples, spices, cornstarch - get refrigerated why not leave the final product out? Ok, maybe Iam gross.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:47 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

vijita wrote:
I think I put rancid tahini in a salad dressing yesterday, but the dressing was SO GOOD (and overpowered by garlic) so we ate it anyway. And I will eat it again today. Hopefully I will not die.

I admit, I have also eaten tahini that was less than fresh. I found an unopened jar of it pushed to the back of my cupboard and it didn't smell fresh when I opened it. I didn't want to waste it so used it in hummus anyway. I'm still alive! I'm far more afraid of eating GMO corn than I am of rancid tahini.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:06 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Mars wrote:
So, I like to buy oil cured sun-dried tomatoes. I have never in my life refrigerated them after opening. My roommate did once and the olive oil solidified, which strengthened my resolve in not refrigerating it. The jar however, does say to refrigerate after opening. I've never had a problem though, had many jars of the same brand for various, sometimes quite long periods of time. But yesterday I opened the jar and it made a loud hissing noise, like fermentation being released! UGH. Now, while I'm quite lax in many ways, I do understand there's a limit. I wonder if that is it. It looks fine, and smells fine. BUT it's something that is so potent of a smell on it's own, I bet I wouldn't be able to smell the 'off' if it was. Hmm. Annoyed.

I had the same thing happen! Sundried tomatoes are pretty pricey where I live so I didn't want to waste them and so the jar is still sitting in my fridge while I try to decide whether to risk it or not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:17 pm 
Chip Strong

Slightly Melishus wrote:
Mars wrote:
So, I like to buy oil cured sun-dried tomatoes. I have never in my life refrigerated them after opening. My roommate did once and the olive oil solidified, which strengthened my resolve in not refrigerating it. The jar however, does say to refrigerate after opening. I've never had a problem though, had many jars of the same brand for various, sometimes quite long periods of time. But yesterday I opened the jar and it made a loud hissing noise, like fermentation being released! UGH. Now, while I'm quite lax in many ways, I do understand there's a limit. I wonder if that is it. It looks fine, and smells fine. BUT it's something that is so potent of a smell on it's own, I bet I wouldn't be able to smell the 'off' if it was. Hmm. Annoyed.

I had the same thing happen! Sundried tomatoes are pretty pricey where I live so I didn't want to waste them and so the jar is still sitting in my fridge while I try to decide whether to risk it or not.

Oil cured products can allow botulinum bacterial growth. The gas production does indicate bacterial contamination - not necessarily Clostridium botulinum specifically, but it could be a mixture of bacteria including the ones that cause botulism.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:08 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oops, forgot to update, I ate the apple crisp and died. RIP, me.

Actually, it was still good and tasted fresh. Now I wish I had more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:56 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've had a couple of Field Roast sausages in my freezer since January. Are they ok to eat now since they've been frozen?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i would think so, nd. i mean, i would totally eat them (that is, if they're not freezer burned like crazy. i say that 'cause it seems almost everything i freeze gets freezer burn. kinda bums me out.).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:53 pm 

They weren't freezer burnt at all. I ate them, so we'll see! (They were still delicious.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:50 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

We'll see what?! 'Course they were fine if the were frozen! Bah, you young crazy kids and your food safety concerns.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 am 

Actually I was thinking about the terrible gas field roast gives me anyway, so it was "we'll see...if the farts are even worse!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made Isa's mushroom gravy for Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday and it made a HUGE amount for just the two of us to enjoy. So there are plenty of leftovers. How long do you think it will last in the fridge before it goes bad? We've been eating it every day with leftover chickpea cutlets and mashed potatoes, and I'm even making more chickpea cutlets and mashed potatoes just so we can use up all of the gravy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:07 pm 

loolie wrote:
I made Isa's mushroom gravy for Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday and it made a HUGE amount for just the two of us to enjoy. So there are plenty of leftovers. How long do you think it will last in the fridge before it goes bad? We've been eating it every day with leftover chickpea cutlets and mashed potatoes, and I'm even making more chickpea cutlets and mashed potatoes just so we can use up all of the gravy!

Ha! I have some of this in the freezer from last Christmas. I keep wondering if it's still good, but I'm kind of afraid. I hope someone can help you with this!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:04 am 
Not NOT A Furry

ndpittman wrote:
Actually I was thinking about the terrible gas field roast gives me anyway, so it was "we'll see...if the farts are even worse!"

Field Roast items are sold to shops frozen and undated - the shops then put a 'best before' date on it when they defrost it, I believe they are good for something like 45 days. So I would think it would make no difference to the gas! (I just bought some deli slices and am now reminded I have to time my eating of them for when I can be super gassy without too much embarrassment!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:19 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Tempeh that's been marinating over a week? I chopped up and put some tempeh in the fridge to marinate (soy sauce, mustard, balsamic vinegar) last week and forgot about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:20 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Salt and vinegar are preservatives. I say eat it. (If you die, I'm sorry.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:30 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That's kind of what I've been thinking. BUT the fermentation thing with the tempeh is kind of a wild card, so...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

lupini that taste abnormally bitter? i bought a litre, dammit! just ate about half a cup, wait and see, i guess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm 
Semen Strong

I have an old bottle of pomegranate molasses - it was bottled in 2008. Eat or toss?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:08 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

eat that molasses! eat it eat it eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

molasses yes, tempeh maybe, lupini no. lupini scare me with that bitterness thing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:15 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I found a half full container of nooch in the back of my pantry. It's been opened for at least a year. Still good?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:56 am 
Bathes in Braggs

The nooch is probably fine. At most, the flavor may have gone down a little.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:22 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

You can probably get your money back on those Lupini. Just tell the store they tasted off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 41  Next