| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:24 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Sangria wrote:
Star wrote:
A vegan protein bar best before March?

I've eaten quite a few "past the expiry date" vegan bars and I've never seen mold or tasted anything off. They've always been really hard and stale though, like hard enough to break a tooth.

Thank you I'll give it a whirl.

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:37 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

It depends on the brand, I think. Regular Clif bars I find ok a couple months past, Builders bars are too hard to eat. I concur on whirl-giving.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I once ate part of a moldy lara bar. Not good. It was only about a month past the date, so now I am very wary. They don't have any preservatives, and the nut containing ones do start to taste a bit stale when they aren't fresh. I haven't had a problem with Clif bars, but they do seem to taste better prior to the expiration date.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:32 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Thank you everyone!
It was an Aloha bar, it tasted pretty good considering. I only received it from Lucky Vitamin on Saturday so I made a complaint

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Cooked lentils left out to cool for about 18 hours?

They were covered, in a saucepan, but I don't know...

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:30 pm 

Beans and legumes don't have a lot in the way of acids or other things that prevent bacterial growth. 2 hours at room temp is my limit (CDC guidelines).

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Beanitarian wrote:
Beans and legumes don't have a lot in the way of acids or other things that prevent bacterial growth. 2 hours at room temp is my limit (CDC guidelines).

Thanks. They ended up spending even more time out because I was wondering what to do, so I just ended up throwing them out to be safe!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Primal Strips (unopened) that expired at various dates in 2015 (and one from 2014).

Vegan Stuff in Belgium

VSiB FB page

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i am kinda leaning towards yes, but only for the 2015 ones. i would open them up for a sniff test though!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:45 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Beanitarian wrote:

This is good to know. I probably would have eaten them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am the queen of letting food go out of date and I usually eat it within reason - but I have just cleared out my baking cupboard. I very rarely bake so it contains all manner of vastly out of date unopened food with expiry dates from 2001-2004 . . . including a nice box of dates, glass bottles of lime juice, lemon juice, concentrated apple juice and date syrup, egg replacer, a box of golden linseeds, a box of pancake mix, a pack of ginger nut biscuits which I expect I planned to use for a cheesecake base. There's even a box of yeast from 2008. What a waste of food!

So there is also a fair amount of flour and sugar. I presume sugar lasts forever? What about flour if you give it the 'pile up and see if it moves' test? I assume self raising flour won't rise if it is old?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:26 pm 

I presume old rice and dried pulses last forever? What about quinoa and couscous?

I also have an unopened packet of soft ready to eat prunes expiry Jan 2015 which I plan to open and try!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:23 pm 

White flour might be ok, but honestly it has a tendency to absorb odors so I would question how good it will taste depending on where it was stored. My mom had some flour stored in the freezer that tasted like freezer burn. It probably won't make anyone sick, but likely worth it to get a new bag if you want your baked goods to be tasty.

And you're right the self rising won't work as well if at all. Anything whole grain can go rancid. Brown rice can also go rancid, and I'm guessing beans can too.

The problem with old beans is that they often rehydrate very unevenly when they cook, so you will end up with some hard beans and some mushy falling apart beans in the same batch. I have some beans from 2-3 years ago that I am contemplating tossing since I have had a lot of problems with this in the past and I don't want to deal with it.

Sugar I would trust a bit more as I haven't noticed that picking up off flavors/odors, but maybe taste some before you use it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:37 pm 

Thanks. I don't have any dried beans, just various types of lentils and split peas. I guess you could make a dip with your beans, mashing or blending them would even out differences in texture.

I think I'm going to have to become one of those people who only buys what they actually need, when they need it to stop this waste. It's so hard though because on the rare occasion I decide to bake it's usually on a whim and having to go to the shop will derail the idea. Also I like to get organic stuff if I can and that won't be available at the nearest shop.

I even found a few bars of chocolate with best before dates of 2008. I put them in the baking cupboard because they were too out of date to eat and I though I could chop them up and use them in biscuits or something but in what must be 6 years since I haven't used them (or made biscuits)!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

Listen to Beanitarian. White sugar may keep practically forever, and I've heard that white rice keeps well too (I'm doubtful.) But everything else you're talking about will be rancid, which means they have free radicals that aren't healthy for you to eat. In addition the lentils and split peas that don't absorb water will not just cook unevenly, they will be like wrinkly little rocks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

1/2 block tofu cut and stored in the fridge in water on June 7th, its june 22nd now... it smells soy-y but not rancid? I drained the water and rinsed it. One side feels a bit odd to the touch but the rest is normal (that side might have stuck out of the water over time?).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No. Don't mess with tofu. I actually just yelled that at my screen and startled Molly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas) have a fluffy army green dust/powder on them. I keep them in the fridge. There is a lot of it on the bottom of the bag they are in, and it was on the ones I scooped from the top. They don't smell or taste strange. Has anyone seen this on theirs? I've never seen it, and I use a lot of them in my breakfast mix.
I don't want to die from pumpkin fungus!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I bought one of those refrigerated tubs of salsa from Trader Joe's, that has a plastic lid and then a plastic film seal underneath it. The film part was all puffed up, making a dome shape. I opened it and ate a few bites before thinking maybe that is the thing that tells you it's not safe to eat.

Do I have botulism now? It tasted ok, but I did start maybe imagining an off, kind of sour flavor when I started to wonder about it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I would definitely leave it alone from here on out, and if it was bought recently complain to customer service.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

The 80's wrote:
My raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas) have a fluffy army green dust/powder on them. I keep them in the fridge. There is a lot of it on the bottom of the bag they are in, and it was on the ones I scooped from the top. They don't smell or taste strange. Has anyone seen this on theirs? I've never seen it, and I use a lot of them in my breakfast mix.
I don't want to die from pumpkin fungus!

Sorry to see this so late. The powder is most likely crumb dust and perfectly fine. I see it all the time from bulk purchases, plus often in packages. Taste is what's important here; you'd definitely know by taste if it was rancid. (I just ate a rancid walnut.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

oddspongeout wrote:
I would definitely leave it alone from here on out, and if it was bought recently complain to customer service.

Good advice. You won't have botulism, but it might upset your stomach, if not make you ill. Take it back for a refund.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:06 am 

Jill wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:

Good advice. You won't have botulism, but it might upset your stomach, if not make you ill. Take it back for a refund.

Thanks, guys. I haven't touched it since that first time, but I do think maybe I'll bring it back and at least exchange for a new one. Then they'll know the batch # that had a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:34 pm 

Tempeh bacon with a June 21 best by date?

I like tempeh bacon; I don't know why I've let it sit there so long.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's pretty old. I wouldn't even open the package to investigate it.

I'm guessing tempeh would get the same pink mold tofu can get, and that would be hard to spot on tempeh, I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next