| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I would take it back to Costco. Bulging containers worry me and Costco has an awesome return policy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

can someone help me?
posting.php?mode=quote&f=32&p=1023221

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh yeah, I threw out the molasses. I can't bear the thought of the customer service line at Costco and molasses is pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:15 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

B_A_D wrote:
The thing is, one time we had bad silken tofu it was really rank/sour smelling and this... just smelled like tofu.

Yesterday I found a package of silken tofu in the fridge that was 3 years out of date. Against my better judgment I opened it up. It was like someone took a used diaper and strapped it to my face. The tofu itself looked like a finely crumbled blue cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:35 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

oliver wrote:
B_A_D wrote:
The thing is, one time we had bad silken tofu it was really rank/sour smelling and this... just smelled like tofu.

Yesterday I found a package of silken tofu in the fridge that was 3 years out of date. Against my better judgment I opened it up. It was like someone took a used diaper and strapped it to my face. The tofu itself looked like a finely crumbled blue cheese.

oh good god

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:01 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Moon wrote:
oliver wrote:
B_A_D wrote:

oh good god

Yeah, don't eat that...

Facts are a scam. - FootFace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So there's been a recall on cumin where I live due to salmonella contamination. I'm throwing away the spice I have in my cupboard but do I need to throw out everything I made with it too?I just stocked up my freezer with a huge batch of seitan, some falafel, burgers, a couple of curries etc and whilst I definitely don't want to get sick it feels bad to throw out that much food. But on the other hand salmonella even cooked is gross. What would ppk do?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vixki wrote:
So there's been a recall on cumin where I live due to salmonella contamination. I'm throwing away the spice I have in my cupboard but do I need to throw out everything I made with it too?I just stocked up my freezer with a huge batch of seitan, some falafel, burgers, a couple of curries etc and whilst I definitely don't want to get sick it feels bad to throw out that much food. But on the other hand salmonella even cooked is gross. What would ppk do?

Didn't you already accidentally ingest some of that while you were cooking the things? If you didn't already get sick I'd say the things you've made are fine! None of the reports on the recall actually report anyone getting sick, just that tests picked up a problem in a few batches.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:08 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I bought a couple of bottles of GT's kombucha last night, and asked my roommate to put them in the fridge, but they only saw one in the bag. The other sat in my backpack overnight, so it was unrefrigerated for about twelve hours. Still sealed. I put it back in the fridge...

It's fermented, and I'd be fine leaving unopened beer at room temperature, but not unopened yoghurt! I'm not sure how obvious bad kombucha would be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:42 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I left a few items out overnight (well, about 36 hours) at room temperature from an office potluck. These are all store-bought, not homemade:

Pickled turnips
Almond-stuffed green olives in brine
Vegan antipasto

I'm thinking they might be all right because of the acidity, but what say you, PPK?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have 2 blocks of Daiya I forgot about. They both expired March 10th but are unopened. Not sure if they are ok or not, anyone know how far out they set those dates?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

fenice wrote:
I left a few items out overnight (well, about 36 hours) at room temperature from an office potluck. These are all store-bought, not homemade:

Pickled turnips
Vegan antipasto

I'm thinking they might be all right because of the acidity, but what say you, PPK?

The olives are probably fine, not sure about the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

rohai wrote:
I have 2 blocks of Daiya I forgot about. They both expired March 10th but are unopened. Not sure if they are ok or not, anyone know how far out they set those dates?

I've had shredded Daiya grow mold in the freezer, so I tend to be pretty respectful of their expiry dates.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

rohai wrote:
fenice wrote:

Pickled turnips
Vegan antipasto

The olives are probably fine, not sure about the rest.

The pickled turnips should be fine as well - no one used to refrigerate pickled veggies. I'm not sure what vegan antipasto is though...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

fenice wrote:
rohai wrote:

I've had shredded Daiya grow mold in the freezer, so I tend to be pretty respectful of their expiry dates.

If it isn't moldy or slimey, and unopened and stored properly, it is probably is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:33 pm 
WRETCHED

So I've bought dandelion leaves from the store before but when my husband said our front yard was full of them and he was going to pull them, I told him to grab then and I'd cook them. I have a healthy fear of foraging although I know plenty of people do it. If there happens to be a plant that looks like dandelion but isn't, we may be in trouble but google has failed me. Any reason not to eat greens with a yellow flower sprouting from them? :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

Okay, I already ate this, but I'm coming here to either brace myself for getting sick or stop worrying about it. I made Isa's Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes with Three Grain Tempeh (it had brown rice in it) and left one of them out on the counter for seven hours (it was covered in aluminum foil). I think the only thing that would be highly perishable is the brown rice in the tempeh (but since it's in a fermented product is it okay?). The Just Mayo I used in them was one of the only other things in the recipe that needed to be refrigerated, but I don't think that would've gone bad after seven hours on the counter. I heated it up in the microwave before I ate it. It was warm, but not piping hot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

linanil wrote:
So I've bought dandelion leaves from the store before but when my husband said our front yard was full of them and he was going to pull them, I told him to grab then and I'd cook them. I have a healthy fear of foraging although I know plenty of people do it. If there happens to be a plant that looks like dandelion but isn't, we may be in trouble but google has failed me. Any reason not to eat greens with a yellow flower sprouting from them? :)

Give us an update - did you eat them, and how were they?

There are "false dandelions" out there too, but their leaves are a bit fuzzy and the flower stems are longer and stiffer than true dandelions, and the flowers are branched rather than single. I think most of the "dandelions" sold fresh in stores are really a type of chicory called Catalogna. Google it and you can see pictures. If allowed to flower, they'd be blue.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Pack of fresh (not dried) udon noodles, expired 11 days ago?
My impulse tells me to eat them. What can go wrong with noodles?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

Phoenix wrote:
Pack of fresh (not dried) udon noodles, expired 11 days ago?
My impulse tells me to eat them. What can go wrong with noodles?

If they're not moldy I'd eat them too.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I once famously ate a packet of dried ramen noodles that was a year past its sell-by date. (But I chucked the ramen base and used a fresh one.) And they were okay. So I thought, yes, they're fresh udon noodles, but what's a couple of days? Looked okay, smelled okay. Tasted okay. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

linanil wrote:

I have no idea if it's a good idea to have done this but I've gathered dandelions from unkempt lawns for my guinea pig and myself, and it's always been fine.

Are the false dandelions outright dangerous? I'm pretty sure I've eaten them before.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:18 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

A vegan protein bar best before March?

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:22 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Star wrote:
A vegan protein bar best before March?

I've eaten quite a few "past the expiry date" vegan bars and I've never seen mold or tasted anything off. They've always been really hard and stale though, like hard enough to break a tooth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next