| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 947 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:50 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Just in case anyone was wondering if you should eat the ends of green beans after you have snapped them off...

THE ANSWER IS NO.

Not even if you put them in the blender with a bunch of other things and call it "sauce".

Not even if the sauce tastes really good.

The resulting lawn-clipping-flavored burps, and the associated gastric sensations, are NOT WORTH IT.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:01 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I got this guacamole free from my work, the kind that comes in sealed plastic packs. It was expired, one box said December 6th, so I took two. The other box is November 22nd! Argh! I just ate a pack of it, it tasted fine! Let's hope my stomach aggrees.

Should I have a shot of tequila?

I should have a shot of tequila.

Just to be safe! And stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I dunno, I would eat it...but then I regularly leave soup out overnight and eat it the next day (although my trailer is as cold as outside l o l). If its sealed and it tastes ok I would think its ok. Im sure they put the expiry dates for sooner than stuff actually expires. question I guess is how much sooner ;p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 am 
Tofu Pup

actually, I can eat expired date foods such as bread. I just re-bake them to crispy and then have it. They are ok and still yummy. :))

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:37 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Love Child wrote:
Frozen soy "chicken" strips, expiration date sept 22th 2011?

Ok, so I cooked and ate these yesterday. They tasted good. Very good even. But after dinner my stomach started feeling weird, and I've been awake all night because of it. I don't know if it was caused by the food, should I risk it and eat the leftovers today or throw it out and cook something else?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:41 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Love Child wrote:
Love Child wrote:

Ok, so I cooked and ate these yesterday. They tasted good. Very good even. But after dinner my stomach started feeling weird, and I've been awake all night because of it. I don't know if it was caused by the food, should I risk it and eat the leftovers today or throw it out and cook something else?

I kind of doubt it was the chicken strips assuming they were kept frozen, but if it were me I probably wouldn't eat the rest if I thought it made me feel sick and kept me up all night.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:46 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Beanitarian wrote:
Love Child wrote:
Love Child wrote:

I kind of doubt it was the chicken strips assuming they were kept frozen, but if it were me I probably wouldn't eat the rest if I thought it made me feel sick and kept me up all night.

I'm pretty sure they have been thawed at some point before. Possibly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

eggplant I roasted a week ago that has been refrigerated whole ever since?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:24 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

celyn wrote:
eggplant I roasted a week ago that has been refrigerated whole ever since?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Frozen puff pastry (pepperidge farm) that expired early September of this year. It's been frozen the whole time and I'm not afraid of dying, but will I somehow ruin Christmas dinner by puff pastry that doesn't puff...or something?

edited to add: I'm planning seitan en croute of some kind, so this is for my entree and I'm afraid of killing a whole roast. Otherwise I would just go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:31 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

invertedforest wrote:
So I've got some Belsoy chocolate pudding cups that expired on December 5th, 2011. Safe?

Totally.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

bekki wrote:
Frozen puff pastry (pepperidge farm) that expired early September of this year. It's been frozen the whole time and I'm not afraid of dying, but will I somehow ruin Christmas dinner by puff pastry that doesn't puff...or something?

edited to add: I'm planning seitan en croute of some kind, so this is for my entree and I'm afraid of killing a whole roast. Otherwise I would just go for it.

No problem, go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hey PPK!!
I just noticed that it says to 'Refrigerate after opening' on the MaraNatha no-stir almond butter. I have not stored my giant 26 oz bottle in the fridge, nor do I want to because it won't be easy to spread when I need Alond Butter NOW. Whatcha think? Why do you think they say to store it in the 'fridge? Maybe just because of the oil content?
Would you (do you) refrigerate YOUR almond butter?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

chinadoll13x wrote:
Hey PPK!!
I just noticed that it says to 'Refrigerate after opening' on the MaraNatha no-stir almond butter. I have not stored my giant 26 oz bottle in the fridge, nor do I want to because it won't be easy to spread when I need Alond Butter NOW. Whatcha think? Why do you think they say to store it in the 'fridge? Maybe just because of the oil content?
Would you (do you) refrigerate YOUR almond butter?

It depends on how quickly you go through it. Nut butters can get rancid, but you'd be able to tell because it would just start smelling and tasting bad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:25 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

So...I have an unopened container of Hummus, that expired on December 21. It is now December 23. It says to eat within seven days of opening. It's only two days after the expiration date....I am a wuss however.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:26 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

HBHO wrote:
So...I have an unopened container of Hummus, that expired on December 21. It is now December 23. It says to eat within seven days of opening. It's only two days after the expiration date....I am a wuss however.

no air no mold no problem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This isn't for me, but, I found an unopened container of hamster food in my basement. It's in a plastic container with a screw on lid, and the freshness seal is still on. My guess is that it's probably from about two years ago, when my other hamster died. Should I feed it to my hamsters now? Or to the birds?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:47 am 

starrynight87 wrote:
This isn't for me, but, I found an unopened container of hamster food in my basement. It's in a plastic container with a screw on lid, and the freshness seal is still on. My guess is that it's probably from about two years ago, when my other hamster died. Should I feed it to my hamsters now? Or to the birds?

Depending on how old it may have been when you bought it, I would have two concerns. First, oils in the food might have become rancid. Second, some of the vitamins in the food may have degraded during storage. Is this going to be the main source of nutrition for your hamsters? If so, I could buy some fresh stuff. Otherwise, I would say you might try it as long as it smells normal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hmm . . . maybe I won't.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:35 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm roasting a winter squash, and took out the seeds to roast, but some of them are grey-ish/brown and others your usual white. Are they good to cook/eat?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made skillet cornbread. The whole time it was cooking I kept asking my boyfriend if the kitchen seemed smoky. It baked for a half an hour, and I took it out of the oven, only to realize I left the skillet handle potholder on it in the oven. I set the potholder outside to cool off, and it was indeed kind of smoky.

Luckily, it didn't catch on fire. And my cornbread looks awesome.

I don't know if I poisoned it by baking it with a cloth pot holder. Who knows what chemicals are put on pot holders to make them more heat resistant?

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'd eat it. the other day i made collards and ended up cooking a rubberband with them. ate them anyways. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have two tofus, one vacuum sealed, one in water, that both expired at the end of November. Smell and use, or toss to be safe?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:22 pm 

celyn wrote:
I have two tofus, one vacuum sealed, one in water, that both expired at the end of November. Smell and use, or toss to be safe?

Assuming they weren't frozen, I would toss. I have had tofu taste funny without smelling bad when it was close to the expiration date. And there's the possibilit of food poisoning of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 am 
Tofu Pup

I can't believe this thread exists - I have these dilemmas all the time. Expect to hear from me a lot!

I made the key lime pie from Vegan Pie in the Sky, and put it in a bar fridge to set over night. My dad unwittingly turned the fridge off, and I didn't realise until the morning. It set anyway, of course, but it was left unrefrigerated for maybe eight hours.

Horrifically dangerous or no? I really want to eat it but don't want to die.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 947 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next