| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yes, it doesnt normally taste like that. I think ill call the maker and see if they can send me a coupon or something. I wont be able to take it back to the store until the weekend. Which would be past the expiration date. I did eat a little though, and Im still alive!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just ate a preservative free, vegan veggie burrito (the brand is Matthews) that I received frozen from the dining hall on campus. Apparently it had a use-by date of 12/01/11. Am I dead? :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

terrormisu wrote:
I just ate a preservative free, vegan veggie burrito (the brand is Matthews) that I received frozen from the dining hall on campus. Apparently it had a use-by date of 12/01/11. Am I dead? :)

Nah, if it remained frozen I think you will be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm cleaning out my pantry and I found an unopened bag of quinoa in the back, which says 'use by july 2010'. I feel bad throwing it out because quinoa is expensive as fork here. What to do?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:24 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'd eat it!

But reading this thread I realize I do a lot of perhaps naughty things. Just this morning I ate tofu miso soup that had been left on the stove from last night. I just made sure I boiled it good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah I'd eat it too. Just do a quick check if there are no bugs in it first.

I guess I'm naughty too, since I eat stuff that's been on the stovetop overnight all the time, with or without heating. Must have a strong stomach, cause I never had issues from that.
I guess it depends on the climate too. In July and August things go bad much faster here than in other seasons, even when they are in the fridge (like spontaneous disgusting 'yoghurt' formation in a box of soy milk that has been open four days). In those months I know I have to be a little more careful.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:50 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Our Earth Balance has a couple of blue-green spots in it. Which is weird, because I have never seen EB mould, and it's pretty new! (Less then two weeks, expiry date a long time from now). When I worked at a HFS, we actually had a rep tell us that EB can stay out of the fridge for 2+ days and still be fine (he wasn't recommending that, he was just giving info for customers). Anyway, we've been eating around it and it tastes fine. There is always a possibility that some errant blueberry jam or something made its way into the tub, but neither my boyfriend nor I remember having jam anytime recently.

So should I dump it or keep eating around the spots?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

vijita wrote:
Our Earth Balance has a couple of blue-green spots in it. Which is weird, because I have never seen EB mould, and it's pretty new! (Less then two weeks, expiry date a long time from now). When I worked at a HFS, we actually had a rep tell us that EB can stay out of the fridge for 2+ days and still be fine (he wasn't recommending that, he was just giving info for customers). Anyway, we've been eating around it and it tastes fine. There is always a possibility that some errant blueberry jam or something made its way into the tub, but neither my boyfriend nor I remember having jam anytime recently.

That sounds odd to me. Was it there when you opened the container, or did you notice it later? I would think maybe you got something in it and just don't remember. If it were me, i would scoop out the are where it is and then keep using it. Seems a long shot for EB or any margarine to get moldy in the fridge. I've had EB sitting in the fridge for a year and it was fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:41 am 

We noticed it later. We've been really busy and I'm admittedly kind of gross about using the same knives for stuff so it seems more likely that I accidentally did that with something or other on the knife, rather than than it being mould. I just don't think we've had any jam (the only thing I can imagine being blue/green in this case) in this time, but it's possible that it was Marmite remnants or something. /gross

ps...Sorry about the stupid Devils last night.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:21 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Its totally possible that whatever you got in the EB with a knife turned colors after it sat in their for a while. I still say eat it!

Thanks, the stupid Flyers have their heads up their asparagi! I feel like they are super close to winning the cup this year if they can work their shiitake out. The Devils are not better than them!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:41 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'd probably scoop out the immediate area and eat the rest. I have had EB get moldy, but only after it had been in the frig about a year. We don't eat a lot of margarine.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vijita wrote:

I think it is moldy ... I once bought a brand new container of EB, and didn't notice this until I got home, but part of the plastic seal had been torn and the lid wasn't sealed properly. I opened it up and in that exact same spot, there were some blue-green spots. I ended up throwing it away...I probably could have taken it back to the grocery store and gotten a refund but I didn't take a receipt and couldn't be bothered. I wasn't about to risk eating it so I threw it away.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i think there should be an auto-response for this thread:

NO. You will get very very sick. NO NO AND NO!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:55 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

There were some dried chickpeas that were quite a bit cheaper than the other dried chickpeas, so I bought them and soaked them. There were a few with discoloured spots or that were greenish or greyish and I thought I'd sorted through and discarded them before cooking, but since cooking I've noticed a few more with discoloured spots (mainly the pointy bits).

Does that mean they were going off before they were dried, and will they do me any harm if I eat them, do you reckon? They smell fine.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:23 am 

Well, we just finished that tub of EB and neither of us died/got sick. Ha!

I'm not sure about the chickpeas. I imagine they'd taste off if they were going bad? I just cooked a big pot of black chickpeas and they changed colour a lot in the soaking/cooking process, but they all taste the same/delicious.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:34 am 
Huffs Nooch

Yesterday I made the very berry choc. chip cobbler from VPITS. I left it out on the counter for over 24 hours. It was wrapped in 2 layers of heavy duty foil. We ate about 1/4 of it last night. Just now I went to have some and saw blue-like spots on the liquid part of the pan from the section we'd eaten. I don't know what to do. Could it be mold that fast? I'm trying to convince myself it's color from the blueberries? fatty deposits from the earth balance? I scooped out those areas and transferred the rest to another container and put it in the fridge. I have a some on a plate but I don't know if I should eat it. It kills me to think about chucking it all :-(

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Eat it.

But either make sure it's chilled all the way through straight out of the fridge, or heat it til it's piping hot.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:19 am 

I'm not aware of any blue molds - red, green, white, and black yes. I suppose white or green might appear blue on blueberry filling. I'm actually not sure what the food safety rules for fruit pies and cobblers are. I know that I got mold on a peach cobbler I left out for a couple days. Now I keep stuff like that in the fridge.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:35 am 

I really doubt the cobbler moulded that fast. It's probably just colour from the berries. Eat it!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked up some cobbler storage tips and the ones I found say it can be left out. I haven't eaten it yet, I tossed the first dish I fixed for myself and then I wrapped a second dish and stuck it in the fridge w/ the rest of the cobbler. I am over thinking this way too much (but that's what I do). I'm going to eat some today though. I could be wrong but I don't think it's my destiny to die from food poisoning.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:03 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I'd call it fine. I've only started putting baked goods in the fridge since a discussion of fuzzy muffins here or on the old boards - ick ick.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've been eating the cobbler (heating it first) with no ill effects. And I did my own experiment. I left the original pan which still had lots of juice in it on the counter covered in foil. After days left out, there is still no sign of any mold growth.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:21 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm glad to see there's a thread for this. So I pulled tofu out of the freezer thinking it was the stuff I just bought. Today I pulled it out of the fridge to drain and saw that it was not the tofu I just bought. It was tofu I bought a long freaking time ago and forgot about. It's been in the freezer since last June...expiration date of June 27 2011. I opened it and it looks and smells totally normal, but man, that's a long time in the freezer. Would anyone eat it?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I would totally eat it.
tofu in the freezer? if it hasn't defrosted? why not.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:38 pm 

Lachesis wrote:
I'm glad to see there's a thread for this. So I pulled tofu out of the freezer thinking it was the stuff I just bought. Today I pulled it out of the fridge to drain and saw that it was not the tofu I just bought. It was tofu I bought a long freaking time ago and forgot about. It's been in the freezer since last June...expiration date of June 27 2011. I opened it and it looks and smells totally normal, but man, that's a long time in the freezer. Would anyone eat it?

Yes. Things don't really "go bad" in the freezer as long as the temp is maintained - they may be freezer burned or lose quality, but they won't make you sick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 38  Next