| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Both maple syrup (high in sugar) and hot sauce (high in salt and acid) are not extremely prone to spoiling if kept unrefrigerated. They will survive quite a while at higher temperatures. Since your fridge was still running, even though the door was open, I think they're probably fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Did they still feel cold? If so that should also reassure you.

Our old fridge freezer is in the cellar and its where we keep beer and wine, and where we keep the pricier frozen stuff like burgers, mock meats and ready meals. The freezer gradually frosts up and pushes the freezer door open and I don't find out til everything is totally soft. (Another time the thermostat failed.) Last time it happened I already had dinner in the oven and we were going on holiday the next day so couldn't even use anything up. I called my friend to take as much as she could so it had some chance of being used but her fridge and freezer are always full so I don't know how well she did with it. That reminds me I must schedule a defrost in my diary so it doesn't happen again..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ok thank-you everyone for the quick replies. Everything did still fell coldish but the bottles were "sweating". I don't refrigerate my agave either because it doesn't say to on the bottle like maple syrup does. I think we will take our chances on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:57 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the expensive discovery that maple syrup really does need to be refrigerated. I had a jug of it go moldy pretty quickly in my cupboard and a google search indicated that this is not uncommon. So, yeah, refrigerate your maple syrup. That said, brontrent, if it's not moldy, it should be fine!

I've never refrigerated Frank's Hot Sauce, (or that style of hot sauce) but then, thanks to Isa's Red Hot Tahini, I never have a bottle around long enough for it to go bad.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:56 am 
So Totally Yiffy

My jug of maple syrup actually says that if mold forms you should heat to a boil, skim, and transfer to a clean container. So even if it is moldy, I guess you can try that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A nearly full container of brown rice syrup that has been open for three years or more but looks fine?

Note: recipe I'm making with it is gift for neighbor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I take pride actually in being such a renegade eater... as I have often pointed out in this thread I think many refrigeration suggestions and expire dates are bull, but recently had a bit of a dilemma of this matter. So, I like to buy oil cured sun-dried tomatoes. I have never in my life refrigerated them after opening. My roommate did once and the olive oil solidified, which strengthened my resolve in not refrigerating it. The jar however, does say to refrigerate after opening. I've never had a problem though, had many jars of the same brand for various, sometimes quite long periods of time. But yesterday I opened the jar and it made a loud hissing noise, like fermentation being released! UGH. Now, while I'm quite lax in many ways, I do understand there's a limit. I wonder if that is it. It looks fine, and smells fine. BUT it's something that is so potent of a smell on it's own, I bet I wouldn't be able to smell the 'off' if it was. Hmm. Annoyed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't think I would eat that. Accidental fermentation is one of the few things that squick me out. (Mold and chunky soymilk other, more obvious ones.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

celyn wrote:
A nearly full container of brown rice syrup that has been open for three years or more but looks fine?

How much do you like your neighbor?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

A friend just came over and tasted it and said it seemed fine?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:49 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

celyn wrote:

I have a bottle of barley malt syrup that I have been using a tiny bit at a time for probably five or so years and it is still fine. Is that similar?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:42 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The power went out in my apartment (due to the crazy rainstorm in Toronto!) last night around 6pm and came back around 3am. Do you think that I have to throw out any food that's in my fridge? We didn't open the fridge very often, just a couple of times very quickly to grab something to eat or to put a few ice packs / frozen beans on top of some things to keep them colder. The things we mostly covered was containers of chili that I made to last us through the week. The things I'm most concerned about are....tofu, tempeh, Gardein chik'n strips, vegan cheese (Sheeze / Daiya block), soy milk, Vegenaise, flax seed oil, veggies...?

I read somewhere that after 4 hours you have to be concerned about things starting to go bad in your fridge. There's really no way of telling how cold anything is since the power came back at 3am and by the time I woke up, everything was fairly cold again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:27 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh I bet your fridge stayed pretty cold.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i think you're fine and don't have to throw anything out, loolie. a few months ago our power went out for about 20 hours and everything in the fridge was totally fine!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:09 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Here's a useful chart for food safety after a power outage: http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/refridg_food.html

Obviously you can skip the meat sections, but soy milk is listed under dairy. Tofu is on there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

I know those charts are The Last Word on food safety but mostly those recommendations are so much stricter than what I grew up doing that I have trouble wrapping my brain around them. Not that I deliberately leave opened containers of soy milk sitting out overnight for funsies, ha.

With those guidelines, how is one supposed to know exactly what temperature the inside of the fridge might have reached overnight - or over a longer period of time - if the power comes back and the fridge returns to normal temperature? Like, how would you know if the fridge was warm for four hours or for an hour and a half?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

I have Field Roast sausages that expired 10 days ago. They've been in the fridge unopened. Are they okay to eat?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:51 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm food paranoid, so I wouldn't eat them, but, in my experience, most of that sort of thing gets slimy when/if it goes off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ok this is a little different than most questions on here becuase the stuff hasnt actually gone bad yet..but its a shelf life question.

I made 30 bottles of lemonade for the market on last friday. the market was a total wash. i made regular and raspberry. i still have 13 bottles of the raspberry left. it was made with fresh lemon juice, well water, sugar, and frozen raspberries that i boiled down to a puree and then pressed through a sieve. the bottles were washed, soaked in milton baby bottle sterilizer solution, then run through the dishwasher then rinsed in cold water before being filled. the same was done with the bottle caps (plastic). it has all been refrigerated and/or on ice since i made them. How long can i trust them to last? will they last to be sold at this friday's market or do i have to ditch them :( they are not pasteurized or anything. SImilarly, i squeezed way too much lemon juice and i have 2 bottles full of it in the fridge. how long will this last? can i use it to make regular lemonade for the market this week?

thanks if anyone can help :/

kaybee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 pm 

epcarie - I bet the Field Roast is fine too, unless it is slimy or smells bad. I would definitely eat it.

kaybee - you can freeze juiced lemons (but not in glass.) The raspberry lemonade will probably be okay, but I'd be reluctant to sell it without expert advice to the contrary. If you do decide to sell it, maybe at a discount with the "made on xxxx" date included? I'd probably freeze it in plastic containers (break up the ice a couple of times as it is freezing) for my own personal use later.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:57 am 
Not NOT A Furry

epcarie wrote:
I have Field Roast sausages that expired 10 days ago. They've been in the fridge unopened. Are they okay to eat?

Field Roast products are sold frozen and each store dates them themselves when they defrost them. I discovered this from the manufacturers after an interesting conversation in Wholefoods in NYC where I was told they lasted 'forever' (they had no expiry date at all!) - three members of staff confirmed this to me and would not believe my protests that nothing lasts 'forever'. I also pointed out that any product with an expiry date space on the specially designed label suggested there WAS an expiry date but they were having none of it!
So I guess there is quite some leeway with the dates on these.

Of course how long things are unchilled from being put in the shopping basket to arriving at your fridge at home should always be taken into consideration too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:47 pm 

kaybee wrote:
ok this is a little different than most questions on here becuase the stuff hasnt actually gone bad yet..but its a shelf life question.

I made 30 bottles of lemonade for the market on last friday. the market was a total wash. i made regular and raspberry. i still have 13 bottles of the raspberry left. it was made with fresh lemon juice, well water, sugar, and frozen raspberries that i boiled down to a puree and then pressed through a sieve. the bottles were washed, soaked in milton baby bottle sterilizer solution, then run through the dishwasher then rinsed in cold water before being filled. the same was done with the bottle caps (plastic). it has all been refrigerated and/or on ice since i made them. How long can i trust them to last? will they last to be sold at this friday's market or do i have to ditch them :( they are not pasteurized or anything. SImilarly, i squeezed way too much lemon juice and i have 2 bottles full of it in the fridge. how long will this last? can i use it to make regular lemonade for the market this week?

thanks if anyone can help :/

kaybee

If you're making this to sell to people, you definitely need to be consulting a more authoritative source than strangers on the Internet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 pm 

xGreenling wrote:
I know those charts are The Last Word on food safety but mostly those recommendations are so much stricter than what I grew up doing that I have trouble wrapping my brain around them. Not that I deliberately leave opened containers of soy milk sitting out overnight for funsies, ha.

With those guidelines, how is one supposed to know exactly what temperature the inside of the fridge might have reached overnight - or over a longer period of time - if the power comes back and the fridge returns to normal temperature? Like, how would you know if the fridge was warm for four hours or for an hour and a half?

The chart definitely isn't the "last word" -- it is merely a helpful guideline for common situations. The post I was responding to was a situation where the power was out for a known amount of time, so the chart applies. The safest thing would be to err on the side of the longer time estimate when in doubt.

It is definitely possible to have a temperature sensor and alarm in your fridge, and to track the temperature over time to guarantee your food is always safe, but such equipment would probably only make sense in food service applications.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

nooch (forget which brand), in the shaker canister, in the fridge, almost 1 year old (bought before i discovered bulk bins of nooch!)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If it didn't smell off, I would use it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 39  Next