| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Phoenix wrote:
In my fridge coconut milk gets mouldy after just a couple of days, so I'd definitely chuck it.
Nowadays, if I have leftover coconut milk, I usually freeze it in ice cube trays.

I always forget about freezing it, thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

fenice wrote:
After the fact . . . but I ate Meaty Beany Chili (from IDI) for lunch today. After thinking about it, this chili has been in my fridge for 6 or 7 days. Am I going to deeply regret my lunch later today? (Smelled a touch sour, but smelled and tasted fine after I heated it up.)

If it smelled sour, I probably wouldn't have eaten it, but I cook big batches of beans and keep them for a week in the frig all the time. It may depend on frig temperature?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

How many times do you think you should heat a rice dish up?

I often make too much (basically just rice with veg and some sort of sauce). I heat it up the next day. Then when I have something left, like tonight, I never know if I should save it for yet another day after that. Maybe all the nutrients have been cooked out entirely then anyway. I know it will probably taste fine heated up for another day. How many times would you heat up a rice dish?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:28 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I would just heat up the amount you're going to eat that night, you shouldn't really be reheating any kind of food more than twice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

strawberryrock wrote:
I would just heat up the amount you're going to eat that night, you shouldn't really be reheating any kind of food more than twice.

You mean make once and reheat once or make once and reheat twice?

It's always hard to know exactly how much to heat up since I'm cooking for four and I don't want to end up not having enough, so I usually end up with some.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:40 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Make once, reheat once. I would be especially wary of rice, since it can go bad and cause food poisoning much more quickly than most foods. But I am also more cautious than a lot of people here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:39 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm really cautious too - I had 2 bouts of food poisoning last year and they were awful, so now I figure I'd rather throw food out than risk a day of the chills and constant vomiting.

Definitely don't reheat anything more than once. I chucked a delicious soup today because I reheated too much, but hey better than puking all day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tofulish wrote:
I'm really cautious too - I had 2 bouts of food poisoning last year and they were awful, so now I figure I'd rather throw food out than risk a day of the chills and constant vomiting.

Definitely don't reheat anything more than once. I chucked a delicious soup today because I reheated too much, but hey better than puking all day.

That's interesting. I have a friend who used to work in a restaurant where they said they kept the soup for a week and just reheated it every day. I wonder how many people got sick of that. Or maybe you kill all the bugs when you heat it through well, but it still can't be good.

And i agree on rice being a food that goes off quickly. Just cooked rice in the fridge I can't keep too long, maybe 2 days tops. That's why I thought that reheating it might kill off a few things that otherwise would have turned the rice bad in the fridge. But it's just not worth to risk food poisning I agree!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:17 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Solkiki wrote:
That's interesting. I have a friend who used to work in a restaurant where they said they kept the soup for a week and just reheated it every day. I wonder how many people got sick of that. Or maybe you kill all the bugs when you heat it through well, but it still can't be good.

I think what happens when you reheat the soup well over and over is you create the perfect environment for bacterial growth. I only reheat something once, although I can sympathize with your situation, Solkiki.

Long ago I worked in a restaurant where the soup of the day was kept heated all day but the leftovers went home with some lucky employee that night. I was very popular with my cash-starved friends when it was my turn to take home a giant jar of (made from scratch) cream of broccoli or tomato vegetable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:41 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I know a lot of people are leery about using microwaves. But I generally use mine just to reheat food. That way it's super easy to heat what you estimate is needed, and then quickly heat more if necessary. And again, if food is spoiling in the frig in 2 days, check to see if you need to lower its thermostat - it should be below 40 F., and best if just above freezing. Also throw rice and beans in the freezer in serving size amounts if you're worried you might not eat them quickly enough!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Rice should definitely not be reheated more than once: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/Can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51&

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:21 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

lepelaar wrote:

Thanks for the link, that's really interesting, I didn't know about the spores.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

In case anyone is wondering, don't eat cooked broccoli that's been in your fridge for 11 days. I spit it out as soon as I bit into it, but…blargh.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

allularpunk wrote:
In case anyone is wondering, don't eat cooked broccoli that's been in your fridge for 11 days. I spit it out as soon as I bit into it, but…blargh.

Eew lol. I find broccoli doesn't heat up well at all, I never reheat it. After 11 days I would probably burn it with a torch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Solkiki wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Eew lol. I find broccoli doesn't heat up well at all, I never reheat it. After 11 days I would probably burn it with a torch

It is now stinking up my garbage can. I can't believe that I put it in my mouth. This is what happens when you are cheap and cannot stand to waste food.

Luckily, I did not get sick.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:14 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I made the soymilk less than 48 hours ago and it already has that thicky sort of look to it! I was so pissed about the waste that I made a glass of chocolate milk and drank a glass anyway. Farewell dear PPK, it's been nice knowing you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Solkiki wrote:
risk food poisning I agree!

I keep a pot of soup in the fridge for a week, but we heat up one bowl at a time as we want to eat it. Maybe the restaurant was doing something like that. Besides sounding like a blatant food safety violation, I think any veggies in the soup would be cooked to sad limp death from that much reheating.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

On a similar note, I reheated some soup yesterday from the weekend, and added some other veg to it, then couldn't finish all the soup so returned it to the original container, which I hadn't rinsed in the meantime. Then I heated up those leftovers for lunch the next day (today). I can't say for definite that it's caused problems but I've definitely had a bit of intestinal discomfort and more trips to the lav than is usual or comfortable this evening.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Corn tortillas that expired in January 2014. No clue when I bought them, but they have been in the refrigerator.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

peanut wrote:
Corn tortillas that expired in January 2014. No clue when I bought them, but they have been in the refrigerator.

I wouldn't eat them for a few reasons. I always wonder about these sort of products that seem to last forever. I've never found any tortilla's that are actually really vegan. Tortilla's are super easy to make yourself and they're so much nicer when they're fresh. It's relatively cheap and not worth risking getting sick over.

But to answer your question on whether it's still good, I always look at things very closely to see if there are any signs like dots of mold, funny smells, maybe taste a little bit and see how I feel. Since it's a product you can save for so long a few months later probably won't matter much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:53 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thanks! I didn't eat them, they probably would have been fine, but I didn't want to take the chance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:38 am 
Tofu Pup

I do not eat old food when it is not in the freezer because it is not safe to eat, it can cause harmful disease like food poisoning....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

How long can you keep raw nut butters for, a few weeks on the shelf? Do you think you can keep it longer in the fridge or would that affect the nut butters in a negative way somehow, apart from not being able to spread it out so much I mean. And what would the first signs be of it going off?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 am 
Bathes in Braggs

In my experience, raw nut butters last at least a few months on the shelf and almost indefinitely in the fridge. When they go off, it's usually because the oil goes rancid and you'll notice a bitter taste (it's not dangerous to taste a small portion of rancid fat, just tastes nasty). They could also develop surface mold or other visible sings of going bad, but I've never had that happen. Always use a clean spoon or knife when you scoop from the jar.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

torque wrote:
I made the soymilk less than 48 hours ago and it already has that thicky sort of look to it! I was so pissed about the waste that I made a glass of chocolate milk and drank a glass anyway. Farewell dear PPK, it's been nice knowing you.

do you survive? - i know that feeling!

also im very much the same - take a lot of risks but i think my stomach is very harden... I also dumpster dive - so i think that helps!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next