| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Split yellow pea woes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:58 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The internet swears that if these guys are first soaked, they can be cooked thoroughly in an hour or two. We soaked about 500g for 2 days (changing water 1-2x per day) and have been simmering them for, no joke, 2 days. They are only just soft enough to eat now. They were bought a few months ago (2-3 max). I've never cooked them before, but housemates who hated cooking have, and I can't imagine they watched a pot for 2 days. What gives?

Post subject: Re: Split yellow pea woes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 am 
Cranky

I've never had that much trouble, but it does take forever to cook split yellow peas for me. These days I use the pressure cooker!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:08 am 
Chard Martyr

Weird! I've never had problems with split peas, but I have with certain demon beans. I gave up on pulses for a full year once because I was so annoyed by how unreliable their cooking times were. I think the pressure cooker is a good call!

I usually use yellow split peas for curries, dals, or Ethiopian dishes, so I really like to cook the shiitake out of them, but two days is nutso! Are you sure they aren't rocks? :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:10 am 

I just ate them! They were definitely meh, and definitely not rocks.
You and your pressure cookers can make them for me any time! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

peas are weird- i think they don't get a lot of turnover in the store. the older they are the longer they take to cook. but after that much soaking, i don't get it. i've had similar issues with peas, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:16 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Maybe the peas were old? Even if you just bought them they could have been on the shelf or in the warehouse for a long time. Beans and peas always take longer to cook for me than the instructions indicate, but if they are taking a crazy long time I throw them away because it always means they were too old to be salvaged. When you were soaking, did a lot of them float? I'm not sure if this holds true with split peas, but with beans, I soak them and then throw out the ones that float to the top of the soaking water because it means they are dried out and old. I don't know if this is true for everyone, but it's helped me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 am 

Yes, when I soak I throw away all the floaters, always. None of these split peas floated! (That's a lie, 5 did, and I got rid of them. The remaining 500g sunk.) Next time, I'm going to follow your advise and feed them to the compost bin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:02 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

That is super weird! I buy split yellow peas all the time; they've been a favorite of mine this spring. I usually soak during the day and I'd say they take maybe around 45 minutes to cook? (I like them to be soft, obviously, but with a little bit of individual pea integrity, not 100% mush.) Sometimes I don't soak them and then they take maybe more like an hour and a half?

So yeah, I'd assume they'd been around for too long at the store or wherever they were before the store, and not buy them from the same place again. But don't be discouraged about cooking them forever!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have experienced the same thing and it is very frustrating. I actually gave up on them for years because they took so long to cook. I guess I had a bum batch because now I soak them and they cook in 2 1/2 minutes in the pressure cooker -- they are actually my fasted cooking legume next to slit red lentils. Buy some new ones and try again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:56 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I don't pre-soak yellow split peas, and they never take me longer than 45 minutes to cook. Ditto what people have said about them possibly being old. Or, they could have been harvested and dried before they were fully mature too. For some reason that makes beans just as hard to take up soaking water as too-old beans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:29 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've experienced the need for extended cooking time, even with soaking and pressure cooking, when I buy them locally from a produce store that's good at moving inventory. At least they taste good when finally done. But when I buy split yellow dal in an Indian grocery they cook up quickly, more like red lentils. Must be different dals that resemble one another.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:29 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've experienced the need for extended cooking time, even with soaking and pressure cooking, when I buy them locally from a produce store that's good at moving inventory. At least they taste good when finally done. But when I buy split yellow dal in an Indian grocery they cook up quickly, more like red lentils. Must be different dals that resemble one another.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:56 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Yeah, they were old. I don't soak split peas and they never take more than an hour to cook, usually more like 45 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You could also try a crockpot next time. I don't soak split peas or lentils and have had good results using the crockpot for Terry's VEW Ethiopian split pea stew. It takes several hours but that's the whole point of a crockpot after all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:47 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Maybe try to add a half teaspoon of baking soda next time. That certainly works for other beans and pulses. They can get really mushy if you overdo it though, so taste for doneness every so often. Apparently it also gets rid of some of the nutritional benefit. But I guess that's better than throwing the split peas away.