| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crispy roast potatoes without goose fat: Your recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:41 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello, PPK!

I rarely post on here, but I thought this thread might be useful for other posters, not just me.

I'm looking for recommendations for crispy roast potatoes. Last year I made them really well -- I think just using regular vegetable oil -- but I can't remember if I used lots, or just a little. Mainly, however, I'm interested in what fat you use. I have coconut oil, which I'm going to try tonight.

Context: Each year I make the Christmas dinner with my parents, for around 12 people. They do the meat, I do everything else. If I can knock people out with amazing vegan roast potatoes, they will be putty in my animal-free hands.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Here is my go-to recipe: http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/fruit-and-vegetables/how-to-roast-potatoes.html

Last edited by martin on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Crispy roast potatoes without goose fat: Your recommenda
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My mum always used to use corn oil, and her roast potatoes were amazing! She would par boil them, then coat them in seasoned flour. She'd preheat a big baking dish with a good inch of oil in a hot oven, then add the potatoes (they would sizzle) and spoon hot oil over them before returning them to the oven until the edges were dark golden brown. I think in recent years she's started sometimes using sunflower oil, or the gas pressure has gone down where my parents live, so they haven't been quite as crunchy. However, unless they're completely aneamic-looking or the fat has been rancid I have never had a terrible roast potato.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I pretty much do exactly what Delia's recipe says, only I use vegan butter (I use Vitalite) and sunflower oil for the fat! Works perfectly :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I use a mix of olive oil and vegetable oil. Just olive never seems to get them crispy enough, I think. You need to par-boil and then rough up the edges in the colander to get them extra crunchy. Plus, you do need lots of oil. They won't absorb it all. I couldn't say exactly how much fat to use I don't even have to think when I make them. Roast potatoes are like a weekly food in the UK, so it's one of those things I make on autopilot. Plus, don't skimp on oven time. I'd say at least an hour, with the oven on full whack for the last 10 - 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:51 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I use a mix of olive oil and vegetable oil. Just olive never seems to get them crispy enough, I think. You need to par-boil and then rough up the edges in the colander to get them extra crunchy. Plus, you do need lots of oil. They won't absorb it all. I couldn't say exactly how much fat to use I don't even have to think when I make them. Roast potatoes are like a weekly food in the UK, so it's one of those things I make on autopilot. Plus, don't skimp on oven time. I'd say at least an hour, with the oven on full whack for the last 10 - 20 minutes.
This is exactly how I do it, as did my mother before me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:55 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I use a 60/40 of rice bran oil and coconut oil. But I don't use much - just enough to coat the dish (the nice firm coconut fat) then a drizzle of rice bran in the mixing bag when I coat them with salt and flour.

I microwave the chopped potatoes first (about 3 to 4 minutes on high but we have a high power one - want them just barely starting to heat and soften but not so soft the go mushy). Then I coat them in a 50/50 mix of seasoned salt and rice flour. They turn out great.

This year I'm going to try Tea Seed Oil though... Trial run this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:15 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

This is a bit unconventional, but have you tried beer-soaked oven fries? They are pretty amazing and get very crispy... http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2 ... eally.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:21 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I make roast potatoes most weeks and use olive oil as that is what is readily & cheaply available here (Portugal) and I really like the flavour the olive oil gives. I think the potato you start with makes a big difference - you need a slightly floury variety as the waxy ones don't crisp up as well. I parboil, drain, give them a really good shake in the saucepan to fluff the edges, leave them briefly to allow the steam to dry off then put them in a fair bit of hot olive oil in a roasting tin. We have an oven above our wood burner which I cook them in in winter and for some reason that seems to make a particularly good roast.

Like dropscone said, I don't think I've ever had a bad homemade roast potato (pub versions are altogether different), just varying degrees of deliciousness. My last meal of choice would be a plate of roast potatoes. I am a fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:22 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

dandykins, those sound great! Will try recipe.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

On the radio last night someone called in and asked just this. According to the chef, goose fat doesn't make any real difference to texture, only taste. He advised to parboil the potatoes, fluff them up a little and use hot oil.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Rebekah wrote:
dandykins, those sound great! Will try recipe.

I highly recommend the recipe! Just don't crowd the potatoes - as with all things roasting, crowding will end up steaming instead of browning them.