| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow Cooker. How to choose?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:40 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm on the hunt for a slow cooker. I've never owned or used one before, but love the thought of coming home to a warm meal that's ready to eat. I don't have a lot of counter or storage space in my apartment and am mostly cooking for two. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Slow Cooker. How to choose?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Someone else started a similar thread a while ago, you might want to check that out? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22838&p=613301

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:55 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks dropscone! I started that thread in 2012, and I think that technology has come a long way since then.

I bought 2 slowcookers and loved them back then, but I just got an Instant Pot and I think it's all the rage, if you can afford one (mine was about $80 on the Black Friday special Amazon did, but they're over $100 regularly). They have 7 different functions, and it's nice to be able to use a pressure cooker and a slow cooker in the same machine, so you can pressure cook your beans and then slow cook them in a stew. It has a saute feature (you can use it as a frying pan with the lid off to brown food), timers, some are Bluetooth enabled so you can turn them on using your headset, etc. They're fancy! Here is a vegan IPot group that can answer more questions if you're interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotVeganRecipes/

I think a lot comes down to what kind of functionality you're looking for, and price point. I got my slowcookers really cheap - 1 at a garage sale for $10 and a mini one at Target for $11.99. Neither has the saute feature, but I don't personally find that browning or sauteeing ingredients before slow cooking is all that helpful to the flavor. What I loved is that you can turn it on and just be gone all day and come home to great food. Mine doesn't have a timer, which hasn't bothered me, but some do which means you can put the ingredients in at 8 am and have your machine go on at noon and have hot, perfect food at 6 or 7, without worrying about overcooking your food. I just kind of cook it until I come home but I'm never out for longer than 6 hours or so (I'm home with my kiddo). I love my slowcookers for how incredibly simple they are - throw all your ingredients in in the morning (I'd do that while making breakfast) and then have awesome food later that day (we'd do lunch at 1 and then leftovers for dinner). The flavors are so great. Also, in the summer they're amazing because you never have to heat up your house - we are experts in slow-cooker pizza, which is so delicious!

I really love Fresh from the Vegan Slowcooker - the flavors in her recipes are amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Vegan-Slow- ... 1558327908

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:10 am 
Tofu Pup

I actually own four crock pots in varying sizes. The small one is great for breakfast oatmeal or a side dish of dried beans. The largest can hold a whole chicken or small turkey or baked potatoes for the whole family. And the in-betweens are perfect for a typical chili or soup meal.
The one MUST HAVE feature is a removable insert; the first one I ever had (a hand-me-down from my parents when I was in college) was a one-piece thing, and it was a pain to wash. A removable insert can to into the dishwasher. Beyond that, the differences are minimal - of course, I must admit that I have no experience with the browning features; they might be worthwhile.
I'll also recommend two websites: http://topreviews.best/main-review/slow-cooker and http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/ You'll be surprised at just how many things you can cook in a crock pot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I second Tofulish's suggestion for an Instapot! I love having both a pressure cooker and slow cooker in one machine. Though honestly, I haven't been slow cooking much since I got into pressure cooking.