| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raw resources
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Does anyone have any good blogs/resources for going (mostly) raw that aren't based in non-science crepe? I have a friend who's interested, but he can't seem to find anything that seems scientifically legitimate and not holistic hoodoo crepe.

Post subject: Re: Raw resources
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

choosingraw.com involves both raw and non-raw food and is low on woo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Haha, thanks for the one response in 3 days. That was my reaction too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:37 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I got the Choosing Raw cookbook, and it seems pretty nice. I haven't made anything out of it yet, but I like how it goes in levels to ease into a mostly raw diet. I don't think I'd ever go completely raw, but I think there's benefits to incorporating more raw foods. I have made something from Ani Phyo's cookbook, and the instructions were easy to follow. It was a recipe for raw 'pancakes' and they were weird, but also kind of good. Just one of those cases where you're like this is NOT pancakes. Like banana soft serve. Kind of good, but NOT soft serve.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

creep wrote:
Does anyone have any good blogs/resources for going (mostly) raw that aren't based in non-science crepe? I have a friend who's interested, but he can't seem to find anything that seems scientifically legitimate and not holistic hoodoo crepe.

I think the problem is that there isn't any medical justification, or enough, for eating an all raw diet, so you just will not find much.

You might want to point your friend to the book Becoming Raw by Brenda Davis R.D.

I have read her books for years. She is very conservative nutritionally. She deals in facts.

People who have reviewed her book have taken it as an endorsement of raw foodism, but reading her words carefully you can see she uses a lot of words like "may" and "possibly" with a lot of the benefits she mentions linked to citations for increased vegetable intake and/or vegetarianism.

Davis is a diplomat, and my GUESS is that she wrote this book as a means of inviting raw foodists "back into the light" of fact based nutrition information.

Someone who is into raw foodism will see this book as being supportive of them. My personal belief is that was intentional with the motivation of getting information to that audience on how to live safely on a raw food diet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

http://www.addictedtoveggies.com/ it's only recipes so there's no woo, but there isn't actual scientific resources that advocate raw food

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I borrowed this book from the library, some of the recipes looked nice and simple and there was very little hoodoo.
It states at the beginning that dehydrators are an expensive luxury and the recipes that need dehydrating use the oven instead. I didn't make anything from it as I was specifically after dehydrator recipes though: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raw-Food-Kitche ... 679&sr=1-1

I also have a copy of Ani's Raw Food Essentials, I will report back once I have had a good look through it

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads