| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 am 
Tofu Pup

Over the weekend I used FYH to bake a cake from a high-end mix. This was my first time using this product. I expected great things, and when mixed it looked and smelled just like real eggs.

According to the package, for each egg needed you mix 2 Tablespoons of the egg powder with 1/2 cup ice cold water. Since I needed 4 eggs, this came out to lots of egg mixture. It seemed like too much liquid, especially given the fact that the liquid volume of the average egg is only 3.5 Tablespoons. The cake took much longer to bake than it should have, and the texture was really weird. I couldn't serve it....

I probably missed several threads about baking with this product, but any advice or past experiences baking with FYH eggs greatly appreciated. Did you find yourself adding less water?....Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm not sure by how much, but I vaguely remember the packaging saying if replacing more than 2 eggs you need to reduce the amount of liquid.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world. - kfad

Post subject: Re: Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg Question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:56 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I have used FYH eggs to make Pancakes, French Toast, Bread pudding and cake. Pancakes came out really fluffy, and I mean pillowy, melt in your mouth fluffy. I veganized IHOP buttermilk pancake recipe. Dipped regular white sandwich bread in the pancake batter to make French toast. IMO, they tasted pretty amazing. The batter stuck to the bread well, browned nicely and the over all flavor was pleasant . Bread pudding was average tasting, but my husband who is a omni loved it. But cake - it was a disaster. It took forever to solidify, turned into an unpleasant ugly quiche like mess. I threw it away.

I think FYH eggs should be replaced in volume rather than in number of eggs in the recipe. ( Excuse my English, I don't know if I put it correctly ) especially in things like cake where texture is as important as taste. Also, replacing more than 2 eggs ( in volume) doesn't work as desired.