| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun May 01, 2016 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Passover 2016
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:37 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

What are you making?

Have you seen this gamechanger? http://menachemmendel.net/blog/conserva ... -passover/

I'm planning on:
- matzo ball soup (ppk recipe)
- sweet potato gnocchi w/ arugula sage pesto (using matzo meal and potato starch in the dough)
- whitefish salad (hearts of palm, nori-infused aioli, capers, dill, red onion)
- deviled eggs ( https://lagustasluscious.wordpress.com/ ... like-eggs/ )
- arugula salad w/ beets and blood oranges
- roasted asparagus
- cauliflower white bean puree
- macaroons

Post subject: Re: Passover 2016
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm glad someone started a thread! I want to hear more about that whitefish salad. Have you made it before?

I'm hosting this year, and I've never done that. Looking forward to it. And I get to use my vegan seder plate finally.

I'm still working on my menu, but there will be:

matzah ball soup (I'm experimenting with a few recipes)
cauliflower leek kugel (Vegan with a Vengeance)
potato kugel muffins
roasted beets
some kind of green vegetable
probably both Ashkenazi and Sephardic charoset
matzah puppy chow made with almond butter (http://whatjewwannaeat.com/matzah-puppy-chow/)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Matzoh puppy chow w/ almond butter. Holy cow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Best thing about living in Israel --- The Minhag (tradition) of the place is to eat kitniot, and it's one I very happily adopted years ago when I moved here.

All of a sudden I realized that I didn't HATE Passover, because I actually had more food options than, well, lettuce. Passover with protein changed my world. I'm going to a Seder, but it's hosted by a carnivore, and I'm pretty sure I'll be the only veg there, so I'm planning on bringing lots of my own options. Including matzo balls in vegan broth.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:13 pm 

I just realized one of my guests has celiac, so I'll need to change things around so she can eat most of it. I wonder if quinoa flakes would work in the cauliflower leek kugel instead of crushed matzo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I usually make the walnut mushroom pâté from Veganomicon to have on matzah for lunch during Passover. I recently figured out that I'm allergic to cashews and I'm suspecting other tree nuts, too (since the cashew allergy makes me feel so lousy, I'm scared to confirm the others and have just been avoiding them). Any suggestions on replacing the walnuts in the pâté?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:08 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Tzippy, if you're ok with sunflower seeds on Pesach, I've used those in pestos and such for friends with nut allergies.

Even though I know many rabbis now approve of eating kitniyot (and there are more official ways to get permission), I still feel weird about including them, even knowing how stupid the history behind it is. That being said, it was lovely to have hekshered kitniyot in Israel, not that I could have survived a week in Tzfat without it.

My go tos are my veganized version of my grandpas mushroom spread, an almond cheese, egg-free farfel with gravy, and a lot of times a maztah lasagna at some point during the week. I actually have a post coming out on Joy of Kosher with a vegan, kitniyot free pesach menu soon....if I finish editing my photos that is. I'll post the link as soon as it's up!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We have had hekshered kitniyot here in NJ/NY for several years now, because I guess someone finally noticed Sephardim exist. We even get Bamba! I also have been eating kitniyot for a few years. Because now it is my mission to not encourage shtuyot. Anyway...

Now that I have a pressure cooker, it is gonna be an awesome week of beans, beans, and more beans.

Matzo balls (potato starch variation) will also figure prominently.
Gnocchi sounds like such a great addition! The one thing I'm stuck on is what to feed my 9 month old for breakfast - she eats oatmeal or cream of wheat every day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I haven't even started planning! It will just be me and my gentile partner, so I get free reign with my menus. Of course, it likely means I'll also be doing the whole seder by myself, but oh well.

So far I know I want to do lots and lots of matzo ball soup (obviously), spinach kugel, and some sort of vegetables. Possibly also now matzo puppy chow since you mentioned it, Mollyjade - that sounds tasty.

I'm really looking forward to matzo balls; I've felt a little disconnected from my faith lately and those always seem to reel me back into my roots.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I used Sephardi rules all along, once I was out of my mom's house.
I know the difference between the prohibited grains and rice or pulses. I don't ferment anything during Pesach. I do have kombucha.

When I host, I say that kitniyot are on the menu. No one has declined.

Orange on the plate? Check. Roasted beet? Check.
Remembering when we were slaves in Egypt my way, with whips of scallions? Check.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:36 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Ariann wrote:
We have had hekshered kitniyot here in NJ/NY for several years now, because I guess someone finally noticed Sephardim exist. We even get Bamba! I also have been eating kitniyot for a few years. Because now it is my mission to not encourage shtuyot. Anyway...

Now that I have a pressure cooker, it is gonna be an awesome week of beans, beans, and more beans.

Gnocchi sounds like such a great addition! The one thing I'm stuck on is what to feed my 9 month old for breakfast - she eats oatmeal or cream of wheat every day.

you could puree some quinoa if you've introduced this already?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:54 am 

TomeOrnottome wrote:
Ariann wrote:

you could puree some quinoa if you've introduced this already?

There are quinoa flakes which are like oatmeal. Or rice cereal. Or chickpea flour polenta. If you can get any of those KP or whatever your tradition is.

I wonder if someone out there makes special baby cereals for Passover since the kitniyot thing doesn't apply to babies.

My updated menu is:

matzah ball soup
gf cauliflower leek kugel
roasted potatoes
roasted beets
green beans
Ashkenazi and Sephardic charosets
chocolate pie in a raw nut crust

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:54 am 
***LIES!!!***

Oh my gosh, you're so right. She actually hasn't had rice cereal yet so I didn't even think of it even though we're all pro-kitniyot around here. And I totally forgot about the kitniyot and babies thing since we were already pro-kitniyot when my first was born (I think? my memories are getting fuzzy, but also she basically never ate, so it was kind of irrelevant). I am 100% sure I have seen KP rice cereal (with that big disclaimer THIS IS FOR CHILDREN AND ILL PEOPLE ONLY.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 am 
Smuggling Raisins

mollyjade wrote:
I'm glad someone started a thread! I want to hear more about that whitefish salad. Have you made it before?

yes! i made it for a seder a couple weeks ago, but i need to alter the recipe slightly since the original one included grey poupon, which isn't kosher. i made a nori-infused veganaise, and added chopped hearts of palm, diced shallots, liquid smoke, and capers to it.

i started making my own vegan mayo a couple months ago when i realized how absurdly easy it is. all you need is a blender and:
1/2 c nondairy milk (i've used almond, cashew, and coconut almond, all with good results)*
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 c neutral oil (i usually use canola or light olive)

put everything in the blender except the oil. run it on full speed while slowly drizzling the oil in. boom you just made mayo

*for the nori-infused version, break up 1 sheet of nori and simmer it in your nondairy milk for 10 minutes. strain through a fine mesh strainer. if you have less than 1/2 c milk after straining, add some more.

so that's the mayo. you may not need the entire batch, but the leftovers make for a great chickpea tuna. for the 'white fish' part, i used salad cut hearts of palm (cuz they're cheaper and the food processor handles 'em better), drained and rinsed, pulsed in the food processor until flaky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:28 am 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:42 am 
Huffs Nooch

Here are my Passover recipes :-D I tried to mix in some family traditions with a few things that were new and a bit unexpected.

http://www.joyofkosher.com/2016/04/vegan-passover-recipes-that-impress/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:31 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Passover is by far my least favorite holiday because the food is so boring and limited. I am trying to change that this year, while sticking to some traditions.

Apps, to be served with copious amounts of horseradish and matzah:
-Mushroom walnut pate with caramelized onions
-My dad's Romanian salad that he makes for me sans egg
-Mini baked potato latkes with caramelized onions
-Matzah ball soup

Main Course:
-Cauliflower steaks with an herb sauce (maybe chimichurri style)
-Mashed potatoes
-Roasted broccoli salad with roasted grapes, thinly sliced red onion, endive and pistachio
-Mini spinach leek kugels (baked in muffin tins so every bite is a crispy bite)

Dessert:
-Vegkitchen's Pineapple crumble
-Peta's chocolate chip cookies
-Fresh fruit salad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:17 pm 

adventuresoflandooe wrote:
Here are my Passover recipes :-D I tried to mix in some family traditions with a few things that were new and a bit unexpected.

http://www.joyofkosher.com/2016/04/vegan-passover-recipes-that-impress/

I love this! Especially the idea of nuts in the pate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thank you! I actually got an email from the site with a request for the egg version -_- I keep forgetting to email back because this week has been crazy, but also, I haven't eaten that version in 8 or so years, so I don't have measurements. If they hadn't mentioned it was for nut allergy accommodation I'd just say no. I don't have any non-nut passover friendly and still vegan ideas though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:10 pm 

For chopped liver?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:21 pm 

I forgot that the pie I was making had to be baked (I thought it was a no bake pudding pie.) So my raw crust was baked. We'll see how that goes...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:38 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I made a double batch of the VWAV matzo balls last night and they disintegrated! I've made the recipe 100s of times at this point (even in doubles!) and that's never happened to me before. I scooped the soaked matzo meal out of the pot & mixed it with more matzo meal & another package of silken tofu so we'll see how that goes...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:36 pm 

I've had that happen once. It makes the broth really tasty, if you cook it in broth.

My pie crust was a bust. I made pudding as a replacement.

I think this was the best seder I've ever been to. Really relaxed, and the kids were so cute. They had to be coached into ransoming the afikoman. They kept trying to give us hints about where it was.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:35 pm 

I made matzo tacos. I thought it would just be a stunt food for the blog, but they're actually good (for Passover food). I'll make them again next year.

http://tacocleanse.com/passover-tacos/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm throwing a casual last night seder. I need a rec for a main dish (kitniyot ok, there are enough things for the non-kitniyot eaters). Menu so far:

Karpas course: cashew cheese stuffed mini peppers, Israeli salad, olives and mixed nuts, plus oranges and carrot sticks.

Shulchan Orech: charoset/horseradish/matzah/endive, matzah ball soup, roasted potatoes, brussels sprouts, and beets. Carrot kugel. Something with protein in it - need ideas!

Afikomen course: All of the clearance Passover candy I just bought plus aquafaba chocolate mousse.