| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cinco de Mayo
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:17 am 
WRETCHED

Ha! It is a Mexican holiday commemorating a battle against the French but as far as I know, most Mexicans don't really celebrate it. Somehow many parts of the US grasped onto the holiday and went with it. It usually involves drinking margaritas in a Tex-Mex restaurant.

And I should say Mexicans are generally all for celebrating whenever the chance arises so it's not like it is a totally ignored holiday but Americans seem to really like it.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:21 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Dieciseis de Septiembre, being Mexico's Independence Day, is, naturally, considered a more important holiday by Mexicans. My husband, who was born in Guadalajara, says that while Cinco de Mayo is commemorated regionally to various degrees, it's not as big of a deal as Dieciseis.

I also found out this week from my daughters' ballet folklorico (Mexican folk dance) teacher that the general who led the Mexicans to victory during the Battle of Puebla (General Seguin, I think?) was from a village that is now know as Goliad, Texas. So I suppose that means it is part of Texas' history, too.

Anyway, we had the Big Fat Taco Salad from Appetite for Reduction last night for dinner. It was yummy!
http://reductionproject.blogspot.com/20 ... salad.html

I'm also looking forward to trying some of the recipes from Happy Herbivore, like the Tofu Chilaquiles and Baked Chimichangas. Mmm!

I've found without question that the best way to lead others to a more plant-based diet is by example - to lead with your fork, not your mouth. ~Bernie Wilke

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:32 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've been sick all week. My Cinco de Mayo dinner consisted of oatmeal. Par-tay.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:07 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mixmaster_mo wrote:
bcakes wrote:
some berry daquiries based upon a recipe from Mexican Made Easy's Cinco de Mayo episode on Food Network.

Those daiquiris looked so good!

They turned out great. I didn't have enough frozen strawberries on hand, so I used frozen raspberries and mango flavored rum instead. I think any kind of frozen fruit and flavored rum combination would work well. If I get motivated, I may post some pictures.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

lobsteriffic wrote:
I've been sick all week. My Cinco de Mayo dinner consisted of oatmeal. Par-tay.

Ah well, mine was baked tofu and a luna bar. And then I went swimming. Viva Mexico! Hope you're feeling better.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:37 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Jules wrote:
Dieciseis de Septiembre, being Mexico's Independence Day, is, naturally, considered a more important holiday by Mexicans.

Definitely!

Jules wrote:
I also found out this week from my daughters' ballet folklorico (Mexican folk dance) teacher that the general who led the Mexicans to victory during the Battle of Puebla (General Seguin, I think?) was from a village that is now know as Goliad, Texas.

Your daughter's teacher is right, but that was Ignacio Zaragoza ; ) hehe.
Wait! I just found out that Zaragoza's other last name was Seguín. Huh, I didn't know that : p

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I keep thinking Cinco de Mayo has something to do with mayonnaise.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:01 am 
Saggy Butt

Plans for 2012? I'm hoping to try and do something Mexican-ish. No exact plans yet, I do think it's going to be a bit odd trying to recreate a celebration from the other side of the world celebrating yet another culture.

We talk in History about things "freezing" when moving from one culture to another, my other thought is early travelers seeing other culture's celebrations and trying to recreate it back home. I'm not sure eating Mexican food will have any significance for my family, I'll enjoy it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's not very exciting, but I haven't had tacos at home in at least a year. I'm more of an enchilada and tostada guy. Maybe grill up some veggie tacos poolside with a frozen margarita.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:41 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Blah, ill be on a business trip so i cant make anything.

I really love mexican/latino foods and LOVE tequilla, AND my fiancee's bday is on the 7th, so I usually make a big feast with some awesome margaritas.

I will try to hit a mexican restaurant in vegas...maybe the Mesa Grill. They made me an amazing roasted veggie platter with 5 (yes FIVE!) different dipping sauces. so good. and awesome margaritias too.

But IF I was at home I would make:

Chilliquilles: I make them with my own red chilli sauce, tortillas (obvoiusly), black beans, a shredded zuchinni, a shredded sweet potato and a ton of pepperjack Daiya, cilantro sour cream on the side. The shredded veggies are super good in there..realy different than traditional of course

"Mexican Ceasar Salad": romaine, tortilla strips, black beans, red peppers, jycama, and the ceaser chaves dressing from AFR but add some chipotle chillis to it

Flan or tres leches cake from Viva Vegan (never made either but i want to!)

meh. i really dont wanna leave now. Missing Cinco de Mayo, my man's birthday, AND he has a gig opening up for one of our FAVORITE groups of all time. (sorry, my pity party is over now)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We're doing a big Mexican night the day before Cinco De Mayo. More coincidence than actual planning, but I think it still counts.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:32 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I will unfortunately be in Ocala, one of the least vegan friendly cities around, having dinner with my boyfriend's family. I will be insisting we go somewhere for margaritas afterwards and probably chips and salsa. I'm jealous of some of last year's meals.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I was thinking about making potato tacos, but it seems just as nice to pick up food from Taqueria Los Gorditos to eat at the bar with a big beer patio next door. Hmmm

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'll be celebrating on the 6th (since it's my birthday I'm doing both in one), and we are having Viva Vegan enchiladas with the recommended sides. Can't wait!

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 pm 
And you never will.

I figured I would 'celebrate' for the first time this year by making some yummy food, but I won't be doing it until the 6th either because I'm going to a party tomorrow night. I'll be making Viva Vegan seitan and bean papusas, curtido & tomato sauce with fried plantains and avocado. I will probably make some ctate queso and margaritas, too. I can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:29 pm 
Impressive boner

We had frijolemole with crudites, followed by chili, rice, sweet potato, refried beans, sour cashew cream, some nacho cheeze and a mixed salad. I'm stuffed!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:16 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Going to my first Cinco de Mayo party this year. My friend's boyfriend is hosting, and they're just having made-from-scratch (Yum) margaritas and a taco bar. I'm sure my choices will be somewhat limited, but I'm bringing the mucho margarita cupcakes. I almost couldn't stop licking the icing out of the bowl.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:32 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

It's my partner's birthday, so in honor of Cinco de Mayo I'm making him a nice Chinese dinner, but it will be washed down with margaritas! Then we're going to watch the 1985 Bleak House with Diana Rigg as Mrs Dedlock and the late, great Denholm Elliott as John Jarndyce, because it is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:47 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I went to Mesa Grill in Vegas, Bobby Flay's restaurant on the 5th.

Usually I get the vegan plate, but they didnt have the ingredients this time, so i just got a salad (it was ok though, i had eaten a lot of carbs that day anyway, and the margaritias were excellent!)

Anyway, i have been there before, and the bartender (I ate at the bar) totally remembered me. She went in the back since the Chef was on a call with Bobby Flay anyway and asked him about vegan menus. He said he is working on a GF/Vegan menu, and was sorry the ingredients were not availible and expressed his apologies.

Bobby flay...that red-headed firecrotch

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

What are you guys up to this year?

I picked up corn tortillas for a buck yesterday and just started soaking pinto beans for later. I haven't really been thinking about making something special, but with all the Beyond Meat in my fridge and a ripe avocado in the fruit bowl, this so works.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

empanadas, refried beans (from a can! I forgot to buy pintos in time to pre-soak), tons of guac and tortilla chips, salsa, pico, and margaritas.

Friend is bringing an enchilada casserole and dessert.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 am 
Impressive boner

I wanted to make jackfruit carnitas but can't get hold of jackfruit in Nottingham at the moment, so we'll be eating chilli with some sides (prob. rice and veggies, maybe some salad).

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:52 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

We had the potato-chorizo taquitos from Viva Vegan and a cabbage salad with horchata to drink. I don't think anyone acknowledges Cinco de Mayo here, but for us it's just an excuse to eat food and think about how much we love Mexico.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:59 am 
WELFARIST!

I wasn't going to celebrate, but T's friend had a party, so we went to that. But we drank wine and left early to go have Thai food. But it was fun watching everyone else drink Mexican beer and eat tacos.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I had a little dinner party. I just invited a few friends over and asked everyone to bring some taco/burrito fillings and we had a big fabulous assembly line. so yummy!