| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Did your Tofu Xpress crack?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:39 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

xanthia wrote:
YES. Mine did. They have pretty cruddy CS honestly. It was my fault *rolls eyes*. I was really angry when I had to mail mine back, and they just put a new top piece in the box with my old bottom piece. Had to pay shipping for that? GRR.

Ugh, I can't believe they blamed you too. I was going to write back and tell them how offended I am, but I don't think it's even worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:43 pm 

vijita wrote:
I wonder if the company is going under. I say this speculatively purely because they've "temporarily" stopped shipping internationally, so many online retailers that used to carry them have been out of stock, and they no longer replace parts.

I like my tofuxpress (it's only a month old, so no problems yet), but I did feel like I was WAY overpaying for a relatively flimsy piece of plastic and a bedspring. My boyfriend bought it for me as a gift and he was pretty unimpressed when he saw it.

Sorry about your experience mtpete. That really sucks. Three bucks off a new one? Hell no.

It sounds like their customer service might have been better at one point too, so maybe you're right about their going under.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am 

I made a homemade tofu press and it worked great. I found two small cutting boards from Target - $4.99 each - and a clamp from my husband's tools. Who needs Tofu Xpress?!

How do I post a picture? I haven't posted one on the new boards and tried to search but couldn't find info.

The pictures are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68714074@N ... otostream/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ha, nice!

Good use of the clamp, too. I have some of those that I use for all kinds of stuff...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Cool! I'm going to the hardware store asap!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:41 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

mtpete wrote:
I made a homemade tofu press and it worked great. I found two small cutting boards from Target - $4.99 each - and a clamp from my husband's tools. Who needs Tofu Xpress?!

The pictures are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68714074@N ... otostream/
Good idea! Looks like a 'C' clamp or two would also do the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think a C clamp wouldn't work as well because it doesn't apply constant pressure-- it doesn't have a spring. So you'd squish it down, X amount of water would come out, and then no more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:11 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

solipsistnation wrote:
I think a C clamp wouldn't work as well because it doesn't apply constant pressure-- it doesn't have a spring. So you'd squish it down, X amount of water would come out, and then no more.

You adjust the amount of pressure you put on the plates by simply turning the screw to apply the desired amount of pressure. You can tighten/loosen it, as needed, with the little bar going through screw on the left.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Right. I gotta say, thank you for the concise explanation of C clamps, but I am actually quite familiar with them. 8)

They're no good for a tofu press (or anything where you want to have constant pressure rather than setting a width and leaving it) because either you tighten it down and squish the crepe out of your tofu immediately, possibly busting up the block, or you have to come back and tighten it as you go. The springs on the grippy clamps or the original tofuxpress and the other press thingy are the whole point.

Think about it-- if you press tofu between two plates with a bunch of bricks on top, the tofu will continue to get thinner (even if not by much) as water leaves it, right? Since tofu isn't like a sponge, where you can just squeeze out the water and it'll stay in one piece, and where there are large cells holding the water in the block, you have to take it slowly with constant pressure, not just clamp it down. If tofu worked that way we'd just wring it out like a sponge and all this pressing business wouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:48 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I guess my way creates more laundry, but it is cheap. I cut the block of tofu lengthwise in 3 or 4 pieces, lay them flat on 1/2 a clean dishtowel, fold the other half over (sometimes twice), top with a small cutting board and two 32 ounce cans. The tofu is perfectly pressed in 10 minutes. I used to press whole blocks, but it takes longer, and if the cans aren't perfectly balanced they eventually slide off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:44 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

mtpete wrote:
I contacted them this week (tofu xpress) because they used to sell their parts individually so if things broke you wouldn't have to buy a whole new one, but now they don't anymore. They said they stopped doing that a couple of months ago so they could better track why people were replacing parts, but I'm disappointed with their customer service. In their response they pretty much put the blame on me. They said their product is extremely durable - yet, many on here have complained that theirs are cracked and I've read it elsewhere too. So they said that "under normal use" it shouldn't break, as if my using it a couple of times a week isn't normal. And then they said "maybe their product isn't suitable for how I'm using it." Nice. They offered to take $3 off the price of a new one, but after they blamed me I'm not really interested anymore. And if they were selling extra parts in the first place, that seems pretty obvious to me that parts are breaking.

this sounds like my issues with cuisinart! i have a food processor from them and the blade cracked so they sent me a new one and then my 2nd blade cracked and the bowl cracked, and the center piece in the lid cracked and they kept blabbing about "normal use" with me and I just got really bisque-y with them and finally I got my new stuff (but i'm sure as hell never buying cuisinart anything ever again)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Man! The EZ Tofu Press is even cheaper to make than the others! No springs? That's seriously like 2 bucks of parts there, and only that much because of the big plastic wingnuts!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:18 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Aw, rats! I was totally going to buy a Tofu xpress. It's serendipitous I read these posts before I did.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:52 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I think the crack on top is spreading. so sad!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mine is just fine. I love it. We do not use the light tension spring. I don't get the point of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The exact same thing happened to mine as the OP - the top part that presses down the tofu has two little lips of plastic that the spring fits into. One of them broke off about six months after I purchased it. I haven't gotten it replaced because it still works regardless, but it's annoying.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:51 pm 
ugh

Mine hasn't cracked but I'm scared it will, having read through this thread. I'm going to be as careful as possible with it because I really like it!

kimba wrote:
We do not use the light tension spring. I don't get the point of it.

The website says it is intended for more delicate things like cheese (I bet it would be great for nut cheese making), yogurt, etc. The regular spring would probably make those things splooge out of the sides rather than pressing them.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman