| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quiche experimenting - ideas?
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I want quiche, but I don't want a whole quiche. I want quiche, but I don't really want to deal with making a crust (you can't buy frozen vegan pie crust around here, as far as I can tell).

I've been really satisfied with having healthy, yummy things in my freezer to grab on the way to work that thaw while I'm teaching. I've done this with some awesome, healthy muffins, and now I want to do it with quiche. Here's what I"m thinking:

Quiche base from vegan brunch with various veggies/vegan sausages + muffin tins + baking + freezer = healthy stuff I can have for lunch or breakfast.

I was a fan of the Fat Free Vegan mini crustless quiches a while back, but I hate having to go out specifically for silken tofu because they don't have the shelf-stable ones and the fresh silken stuff they do have tastes funky to me.

But I saw this on The Kitchn blog recently and my craving for quiche was revived: http://www.thekitchn.com/makeahead-recipe-crustless-min-125509

I do have some vegan puff pastry in the freezer that I could use as crust, but not sure that would hold up in the freezer. In my pregan days I enjoyed the quiches from Panera and those had a freeform croissant or puff pastry crust. They were yummy.

What would you do? Anyone ever done this with the Vegan Brunch quiche?

Post subject: Re: Quiche experimenting - ideas?
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 am 
Impressive boner

Not sure if this is much help, but last week I made both Vegan Brunch quiches crustless and cut into portions for the week. They were fine in boxes in the fridge, held together well and were really tasty. I'm going to try making them again in a muffin tin this week.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That does help! Which quiche did you make? Did you modify it at all? I want to add more veggies. The caramelized onion one was so great, but really rich. I want to cut it with more veggies. Worried about it staying together, though.

I stumbled across a thread in searching the PPK where someone said they were fine crustless, though I am really curious about making them with some puff pastry. I would need to eat those fresh, though, I think. I think they'll get soggy. I found an omni recipe that said you could freeze them in the muffin tin pre-baking and pop them out to bake as needed.

I'm thinking of making the pain au chocolat from Vegan Brunch, but don't want to make all 8 of them. Might use half of the dough for quiche and the other half for pastry. Hmm...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

In my experience puff pastry for quiche works quite well as long as the filling is not too wet. The dough might remain a little 'doughy', especially on the bottom, but it won't be soggy.

If you want an easy way to make and bring crustless mini quiches, get some reusable silicone muffin liners from Xenos. You can bake the quiches in them and then just pack them in your lunchbox, so you don't have to worry about the quiches holding together. Plus everybody will be jealous of your cute lunch.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey Cornelie! I have some of those silicone muffin things and have never used them - might have to bust them out for this one.

I think the caramelized onion quiche is dense and not too wet, but more veggies might change that. Will keep it in mind. Thanks!

Also, I need to hit up xenos pretty soon. I've heard their baking/cooking stuff section has expanded recently.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Xenos rules! I love their cheap kitchenware and vegan pesto.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Cornelie wrote:
Xenos rules! I love their cheap kitchenware and vegan pesto.

VEGAN PESTO? WHA?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

:-) If I remember correctly, it's called basil paste (basilicum pasta), but it's basically green pesto without cheese. I think they have a vegan red (sundried tomato) version too. They also have cheese pesto, so make sure to read the ingredients.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:54 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the VB broccoli quiche recipe into mini quiches once and they were great! I did use a regular pie crust recipe that time, but I'd really like to try them crustless or with puff pastry. They were really tasty cold, so I think they'd be great for packed lunches.

Ooh and I love Xenos pesto! They also have delicious marinated artichoke hearts.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:58 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I like making the VB quiches using a layer of thinly sliced potatoes instead of a crust. I pre-bake the potato layer (with some olive oil and salt) for awhile while preparing the filling. Works great as leftovers too.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

melanie wrote:
I like making the VB quiches using a layer of thinly sliced potatoes instead of a crust. I pre-bake the potato layer (with some olive oil and salt) for awhile while preparing the filling. Works great as leftovers too.

That sounds awesome!