| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan lunch questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm doing MoFo research. In what ways does veganism make it harder for you to make a brown bag lunch? What specifically vegan issues do you have with packing your lunch for work or school or whatever? Thanks!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Vegan lunch questions
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:56 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I found that taking lunches anywhere was a huge, messy ordeal because it was so much fun to make real meals. It seemed impossible to bring food anywhere without having tons of plastic bags, too. People stealing my food was never a problem, people seem to shy away from eating tofu or vegetables in general.

Eventually I bought a bento box, which solved most of the problems.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Veganism can't solve my biggest barrier to making lunches: laziness that is infinitely greater than my lunchtime hunger. Shameful, I know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:58 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Eventually I bought a bento box, which solved most of the problems.

Bingo. I have a bento box and a 3 compartment tiffin, both of which work really well for leftovers.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:03 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Veganism can't solve my biggest barrier to making lunches: laziness that is infinitely greater than my lunchtime hunger. Shameful, I know.

As a fellow laze-about, this is addressed in many of my posts.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:37 pm 
Chip Strong

My problem is that I never have the foresight to prepare anything, and if I wanna bring leftovers I'm shiitake outta luck because my school doesn't have microwaves available to students. I usually just starve for 7 hours. If I'm going to work it's less of a problem because 90% of the time I just buy something there (I work at a grocery store).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My biggest problem is that the only cooking tool we have at my workplace is a microwave, and a) I am generally anti-microwave-for-any-use-beside-boiling-water and b) I haven't owned a microwave in well over a decade, so I have no idea how to use them.
I have a woefully underused 3-compartment tiffin and cute little bamboo utensil set from To-Go Ware, but unless my dinner leftovers are good cold, I'll usually grab a tofu sandwich or some inari from the grocery store.

I've only eaten breakfast or lunch maybe 10% of the time for the past year or so, since money has been tight. Usually just have one big dinner/meal per day.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:50 pm 
Be afraid... be very afraid

If I don't take my lunch, I don't have a tasty vegan option unless I go to a grocery store, and I usually can't get away from work that long, as 95% of the time, lunch is on the fly for me. I make sure to have a stash of cereal/instant oatmeal/lara bars/nut butter on hand at the office. If I am feeling ambitious, I will pack something that I have to heat up. Otherwise, I take fruit/veggies/sandwich/salad or some combination thereof. Ironically, I pack balanced lunches for Mr. LL and the kids, but when it comes to me, I tend to toss and go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:53 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I would say veganism has had no effect on my packing lunches. And I'm one of those crazy people who always takes their lunch to work and never buys out. I don't have any cute boxes or anything. I just use my tupperware and used to keep a set of silverware in my bag. I tended (I have no job now) to make one or 2 things on a Sunday for the week, so I would have repeat lunches, but that never bothered me. So the only thing I had to do in the morning was to remove the container from the fridge and put it in my bag. I freelanced, so I had a lot of different work environments but for the most part there was no fridge and no way to reheat food. Which also wasn't a big problem as I found most things will keep for 5 hours unrefrigerated.
When I worked at the gallery with other people I often got comments about my food (people in galleries do not pack lunches. It isn't done) and they often wanted to try my stuff cause it looked as good as whatever overpriced meal they had ordered, which was about $10 minimum.
If anything vegan recipes have helped me, cause there are a lot of grains and beans I never ate before that make great lunches that are a lot healthier than a bag of cheetos and a bologna sandwich.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:17 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm with panda, although I'd stab someone if they wanted to 'try' my food. Make your own food.

I cook a lot of staples and mix and match with various hot sauces to make lunch. Making my lunch and my husband's lunch takes only a few minutes because everything is in the fridge ready to be served into glass tupperware like containers. It may take longer if I decide to make a salad because I have to chop stuff up although at one point when i was eating a lot of salads, I'd make salads for a few days and only leave out things like tomatoes which would soggy up the lettuce.

So I cook to make leftovers and leftovers become lunches and dinners. It is fairly easy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

pandacookie wrote:
I would say veganism has had no effect on my packing lunches. And I'm one of those crazy people who always takes their lunch to work and never buys out. I don't have any cute boxes or anything. I just use my tupperware and used to keep a set of silverware in my bag. I tended (I have no job now) to make one or 2 things on a Sunday for the week, so I would have repeat lunches, but that never bothered me. So the only thing I had to do in the morning was to remove the container from the fridge and put it in my bag. I freelanced, so I had a lot of different work environments but for the most part there was no fridge and no way to reheat food. Which also wasn't a big problem as I found most things will keep for 5 hours unrefrigerated.
When I worked at the gallery with other people I often got comments about my food (people in galleries do not pack lunches. It isn't done) and they often wanted to try my stuff cause it looked as good as whatever overpriced meal they had ordered, which was about $10 minimum.
If anything vegan recipes have helped me, cause there are a lot of grains and beans I never ate before that make great lunches that are a lot healthier than a bag of cheetos and a bologna sandwich.

Exactly. Everything pandacookie says is true.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have fresh fruit for lunch, super easy! : )

but my husband takes big containers of vegan leftovers for lunch on a construction site. His co-workers have regularly asked him where he got his takeaways from, assuming the noodles/curry/fried rice/whatever he's eating is from a greasy takeaway shop, and he enjoys telling them it's all vegan and homemade, so I guess that's a bit of a win...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My problem is that if I don't have leftovers I don't know what to bring.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:43 pm 

This thread is too full of solutions and lunch-making mavens. Where are the struggles? The poor starving vegans without any pbj?

I realized part way through writing my MoFo ideas down that packing a lunch is one of the few areas where it's not any more difficult to do it as a vegan. A lot of the hard parts of being vegan are dealing with people and finding food outside your house. And packing lunch is all about preparing food for yourself.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:44 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

vegetalion wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

Exactly. Everything pandacookie says is true.

Hello sig.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:09 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't find veganism has made packing my lunches any harder, I usually just make a big salad with nuts or beans or something in it and bring some fresh veggies (sometimes with hummus) and an apple or something. A lot of the time I'll bring a cookie or two as well. Sometimes, I will bring a peanut butter/almond butter and jam sandwich if I'm not feeling salad but the daycare I worked at in the summer didn't allow nut butter so that was not a possibility. Leftovers are also a big thing for me, I'll make lots of extra rice or quinoa or beans or whatever the night before so I have enough for a few meals!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The biggest challenges for me are variety and lack of foresight. I have a few vegan casseroles that I make and split into single-serving tupperware, but if I've run out of those and forgot to make something else I have a hard time getting anything vegan near my office and I get grumpy.

I try to use Sundays for grocery shopping, cooking in "bulk" and putting together stuff for lunches for the week, but I find that I end up making the same stuff over and over and I'm reallllly ready for some new lunch stuff. (Thankfully I do have a fridge, microwave, and toaster oven at my office.)

*Edited to fix silly grammar errors.*

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't think there's anything more difficult about packing a vegan lunch. Similar to LeBaLu, the hardest part might be the pressure. If I don't pack a lunch, I fret about the lack of options near my office.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:26 pm 
WRETCHED

For me, not taking a lunch to work isn't an option. I'm not leaving the house without a lunch.

And yes, everything panda says is true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Boredom. My husband is omni, so I usually make something and end up eating it for lunch and dinner every day, depending on my schedule. By Wednesday, I never want to see it again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:05 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Karma007 wrote:
Boredom. My husband is omni, so I usually make something and end up eating it for lunch and dinner every day, depending on my schedule. By Wednesday, I never want to see it again.

This.

I make a lot of noodle dishes because those seem to keep well for a few days. I don't really like salads (I know, vegan who doesn't like salads? crrazy!), so I get my greens in a green breakfast smoothie. I also occasionally make up bean burritos and freeze them. Really nice in the winter.

I wish I knew better how to make a dinner and have it for lunch the next day. Like, something that can transition well. This I would like to be able to do.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]