| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: Guide to being vegan at Starbucks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I don't drink coffee so I can't weigh in, but I've heard this complaint before. Mr Moon wont drink almond milk in coffee because he says it tastes bitter and burnt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love almond milk but I don't think it works in coffee as well as soy. It's too thin and it tends to taste bitter. It might be okay if you sweeten it but I don't like sugar in my coffee.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:26 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Sangria wrote:
I love almond milk but I don't think it works in coffee as well as soy. It's too thin and it tends to taste bitter. It might be okay if you sweeten it but I don't like sugar in my coffee.

Totally agree. I mostly drink black coffee, but soy is way better for lattes. For me the only exception is mochas; the chocolate flavor just works with almond milk, imo. But plenty of people order almond milk coffee drinks at my work (non-SB coffee shop), so apparently not all of humanity dislikes coffee with almond milk. I think it's ~cool~ to like almond milk now, especially with anti-soy fearmongering everywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:32 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

lilyyw wrote:
Sangria wrote:

Totally agree. I mostly drink black coffee, but soy is way better for lattes. For me the only exception is mochas; the chocolate flavor just works with almond milk, imo. But plenty of people order almond milk coffee drinks at my work (non-SB coffee shop), so apparently not all of humanity dislikes coffee with almond milk. I think it's ~cool~ to like almond milk now, especially with anti-soy fearmongering everywhere.

Yes! I was a barista at a place where there was only dairy and soy, and sooo many people only wanted almond or coconut milk and would turn their noses up and soy and just get dairy instead. I think it's very influenced by paleo shiitake too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

+1 on the "almond is not good for coffee" train.

I feel like thick coconut milk and/or creamer work well. I like the flavored So Delicious varieties. But the watery stuff in the aseptic container, that I see Whole Foods and Starbucks using? Nah. I'll pass.

That said, maybe I should try Califia almond creamer. I haven't, because of bad experiences with almond milk. But maybe it's like boxed coconut milk vs specific creamer? I like that they have a flavor that isn't just hazelnut or vanilla!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, the coconut milk SB uses is horrible. Unless you want your latte to taste like water. It's pretty good in tea lattes though.

I guess I've never had almond milk in coffee before.we don't have many options for coffee around here: SB, Sheetz, 7-11, and Dunkin Donuts are it. I don't count the Christian coffee shop across the street that uses all proceeds for proselytizing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I LOVE the Califia almond creamer. But only the vanilla one. It tastes like melted vanilla ice cream! If you shake up the carton really vigorously, it even creates its own foam that stays on top of your coffee. I bought it when it was BOGOF at Sprouts and I drink like 5x as much coffee now simply because of this creamer (to be fair I was only drinking it a few times a month before). It has coconut cream and other stuff in the ingredients besides almond milk.

I tried the regular flavor one, though, and it was not the same - not as rich, didn't foam. I looked at the ingredients and it appeared to have a pretty different base from the vanilla, so I assume that is why (it has carageenan in it and the vanilla doesn't). It was okay but I would never repurchase that one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:36 am 
Saggy Butt

I tried the almond milk twice in Oprah chai lattes. I prefer the soy milk. I do like that the almond milk is lower calorie, but it's definitely not as sweet & tasty as the soy milk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

not starbucks, but oh my gosh, that pumpkin soy latte + coconut whip at peet's was really really nice

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27