| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guide to being vegan at Starbucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:17 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've been getting free soy since green level. The discount comes off the final total.
And like I said, yes, it sucks. But it still is going to be okay because it's a rewards program and ultimately they don't owe you or anybody anything. I have a registered card for the free soy and I am bummed, but the tizzy being caused by this is all sorts of funny and first-world-problemy. Nothing motivates people to action like a privately held business changing some policies about complimentary milks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

paprikapapaya wrote:
I've been getting free soy since green level. The discount comes off the final total.
And like I said, yes, it sucks. But it still is going to be okay because it's a rewards program and ultimately they don't owe you or anybody anything. I have a registered card for the free soy and I am bummed, but the tizzy being caused by this is all sorts of funny and first-world-problemy. Nothing motivates people to action like a privately held business changing some policies about complimentary milks.

Yeah, well, why not? We DO live in the first world, in the universe of basically functioning capitalism, so why shouldn't we act like it? If we vote with our dollars, why shouldn't we hold businesses to certain standards of not being dicks? (Also, why should my life be just "okay?" Going to Sbux made me happy. Losing that will make me sad, why is that not worth anything? Frankly, I think it's worth a lot, because I may live in the first world, but my life feels kind of sucky a lot of the time and I don't see why I should have to deal with one more thing suckifying it up unnecessarily.)

The best result of all this would be if lots of people did boycott Sbux (which will only happen if lots of people make a stink about it, as we have been doing), and the result was Sbux making soy milk free for all and lots of other coffee shops following suit. That would certainly make me happy and not having a financial barrier to making the right choice would potentially lead more people to make it who aren't already. Sounds good to me anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:36 pm 

If going to Starbucks makes you happy (and I feel the same way), then go. They are luxury priced drinks anyway, so if you are able to afford it, enjoy it. I don't see how $0.60 can make or break a purchase, since the base price of most of their drinks is a lot anyway.
They may change their mind, and that would be cool. But I certainly am not holding any expectation of that happening, since like you said we do live within capitalist society, and I generally expect that companies try to maximize their profit margins as much as they can, in any way they can. I'm not sure how that could come as a shock to anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hey, if that 50/60 cents addition is going to make a bunch of folks question 'frivolous' purchases and maintain their budget a bit more (and they're folks in a position where a budget really matters), that could be a nice eye opener. Ha. I know there are places where I make myself not cross a line, spending wise.

Last edited by jdfunks on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm not going to go not because I can't afford it, but because I am pissed off about the change and now have no reason to not go a little bit further and get always free soy and a free drink after TEN drinks without having to register a card or similar b.s. I never claimed it would break the bank for me, but I could certainly see how some people couldn't justify going because it was already a financial stretch for them and this is the tipping point.

And they won't make increased profits if people are annoyed enough to *stop going.* That's the whole point of a boycott - encourage company to change through decreased profits. This is how a (sort of) free market is supposed to work - we exert some control over companies' decisions by our purchasing choices. The broader the message, the bigger the effect, the greater the control. It's been done before, I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:47 pm 

The thing is, soy has never been free there. If you register a card and basically give them $20+ upfront, then it's been "free". Which is something a lot of people can't afford to do anyway. Again, with the FWP and all.
I was more annoyed yesterday when I first heard about it, but now I can safely say I won't be boycotting. They are one of the only places in my city that even has soy, and I appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

At Starbucks I usually just get iced espresso and add my own almond milk when I get to work. But when it's time for the free drink, I get a venti soy mocha with extra shots, just to stick it to the man. I'm annoyed about the non-free soy but it's probably not going to change my habits. There's a Whole Foods on my way to work that has an espresso bar, and you can get any kind of milk at no extra charge, plus the discount for bringing your own mug is $0.25! Their prices don't shock me, either, and they have a punch card where you only have to buy nine before you get one free. That's how life should be. The only problem is they don't open early enough for me to go unless I'm running late.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:08 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Sorry for spamming everyone's twitter (or the people that follow me anyway). I have been having a rough time lately, so I just focused my rage on the Sbux (I'm OK, I mean, just like, life stuff). I look forward to my coffee every single morning though, and sad as it is, most mornings the best part of my day is the delicious first sip. I probably won't go to Sbux unless they change just because I'm stubborn (and I have a lot of access to coffee nearby). I might even just start keeping some soy creamer at work and buying regular coffee somewhere cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Dave the Cat wrote:
At Starbucks I usually just get iced espresso and add my own almond milk when I get to work. But when it's time for the free drink, I get a venti soy mocha with extra shots, just to stick it to the man. I'm annoyed about the non-free soy but it's probably not going to change my habits. There's a Whole Foods on my way to work that has an espresso bar, and you can get any kind of milk at no extra charge, plus the discount for bringing your own mug is $0.25! Their prices don't shock me, either, and they have a punch card where you only have to buy nine before you get one free. That's how life should be. The only problem is they don't open early enough for me to go unless I'm running late.

Wow, I wish my Whole Foods was closer...that's awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

paprikapapaya wrote:
It's fine, I was more poking fun at some people saying they're never going to be able to enjoy Starbucks drinks again because it's too expensive now and on and on. It's totally cool to be bummed out by it, and reacting is good, but maintaining perspective that it's actually not the end of the world and not overreacting is also good. Some of the things I've seen on twitter and facebook would make it seem like Starbucks actually said they hate vegans and they are going to charge $10 for a shot of soy or something.

Oh, I'll still get one here and there, but this definitely does price me out of my every-morning-on-way-to-work latte. No hyperbole there.

I mean it is what is, but it is a regular perk up my day treat that I will miss. I had specifically arranged my budget and my spending money to allow for it. Now I'll just rearrange/reconsider. My available funds won't change, so my habits have to.

End of the world, no, but comment worthy? Sure. So are lots of other things. If we got rid of every frivolous thread around here, we would only have to check in once a month to stay current.

But also, the reason I really do find this comment worthy is what I posted above. If I can buy soymilk off the shelf for under $1/carton, they are clearly choosing to gouge non-dairy customers to make extra profit rather than providing a reasonable service (at cost or even at small profit) for non-dairy customers. I think that vegans are becoming enough of an economic force that our dollars do matter. I don't expect them to lose money giving us soy milk, but do we really need to be a significant extra income stream?

I don't patronize delis/sandwich shops that won't sub for all the cheese I don't get. When I'm omitting the tomatoes, cheese, mayo, they can give me a damn slice of avocado or some roasted pepper without charging me $1-2 extra.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

And Starbuck's has their own soy milk, right? They don't have their own dairy. That has to make a difference somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Its probably rebranded Silk? That's what Costco sells.

Sheets has soy milk, but they use some godawful, insanely sweet soy. A drink with nothing else added is so sickly sweet it's even undrinkable at 3am in the middle of a long drive. I think it's free, but they can keep it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:58 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine, who is a barista, says that they get Silk housebranded. Still, it should be comparable to cow, esp if you consider soy lasts longer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm 
WRETCHED

Honestly, I don't care. I'm not really a coffee drinker but at one point, I was going a couple times per week for the caffeine fix. Only reason that I really started to do so was because they didn't charge for soy. I still have a card but I have no need for it now if soy isn't going to be free. It doesn't make sense to me to charge for soy and does seem like a little way to stick it to the non-dairy drinkers.

Again though, I don't need Starbucks and even my infrequent treats can go away because I really don't feel like paying 60 cents on top of $3.50 for a plain soy latte.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Since I like sugar free syrup in my soy lattes, the difference for me is $1.10 -- $3.80 versus $4.90 for a grande. It adds up over time. I go more often with my card since I can get them for cheaper -- now, I won't. Simple as that. The card encouraged my loyalty. Now I can get a 20 oz (4 oz more than a grande) at my local coffee shop, with soy and syrup, for $4.71. I've lost my incentive to go to Starbucks instead, basically.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hah, wow. I just looked at that link. There are more people commenting about this than bisqueing about lazy, overpaid teachers on articles about the Chicago strike.

Nice to know that something peas off the general public more than teachers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:11 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

paprikapapaya wrote:
If going to Starbucks makes you happy (and I feel the same way), then go. They are luxury priced drinks anyway, so if you are able to afford it, enjoy it. I don't see how $0.60 can make or break a purchase, since the base price of most of their drinks is a lot anyway.

No kidding! I didn't drink coffee for 14 years before I had my first Starbucks drink out of desperation to not fall asleep at work, and the internet told me to get a mocha latte, so I got the biggest one and they said $6ish and I nearly crapped myself. Once I found out about making cold brewed coffee I pretty much stick to specials (I refer to the 1/2 priced frapp week as 'Happy Frappy') and like, road trips. I don't actually like the flavor of coffee so there are only a few things I can get that don't gross me out, so getting coffee from the gas station isn't an option for me. But since i'm only drinking it to stay awake I really don't care.

But yeah, their drinks are expensive no matter what.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Hah, wow. I just looked at that link. There are more people commenting about this than bisqueing about lazy, overpaid teachers on articles about the Chicago strike.

Nice to know that something peas off the general public more than teachers.

This is horrifically depressing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think they got you when they convinced you that it was reasonable to spend $4 on 30 drinks just to get 70¢ worth of soy milk. My guess is that they don't deal with enough soy to make it worth their while. I am also willing to wager that the majority of their customers will still buy their drinks. I don't go there because for the price of 2 lattes I can buy a pound of locally roasted, fair trade coffee and get totally ripped on caffeine. I don't live in coffee heaven or hipster paradise either.

If this makes people see out locally owned businesses, that's great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:30 pm 
WRETCHED

Vantine wrote:
I think they got you when they convinced you that it was reasonable to spend $4 on 30 drinks just to get 70¢ worth of soy milk. My guess is that they don't deal with enough soy to make it worth their while. I am also willing to wager that the majority of their customers will still buy their drinks. I don't go there because for the price of 2 lattes I can buy a pound of locally roasted, fair trade coffee and get totally ripped on caffeine. I don't live in coffee heaven or hipster paradise either.

I think there is a discrepancy because at the Starbucks I've been to, green status ($5 spent) is what was required for free soy milk. Here, there really aren't a lot of independent coffee shops if I wanted a quick pick me up. I've been to a good one at the city that is 15 miles north but they tend to be a more touristy town so I guess they have that kind of stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:36 pm 
Inflexitarian

It wasn't just free soy, though, it was also free syrup. So I was saving over a dollar on every drink (in addition to getting the free drink after 15 drinks... and the free one could be venti even if all your other drinks were tall). Also, the free syrup and shots thing happened way before 30 drinks for me (the gold card was just for the bonus drinks... I got free soy and syrup much sooner). Yeah, the drinks are expensive, but saving 25%ish per drink was great.

I won't be boycotting, but I'll definitely be cutting back (and yeah, I am disproportionately sad about this admittedly first world problem).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Dammit, Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:53 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

At standalone Starbucks, yes, you get free syrup/soy at green level. At the one in Target, nope, gotta have gold. Or a new barista who doesn't know soy is an upcharge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vantine wrote:

But where are all these locally owned businesses? In about a 30mile range here, we have SB or a shop owned by Bible thumpers (seriously--by going in you agree to let them try to "save" you; that's part of their mission). My college town had one run by such evil crassholes that they couldn't keep employees longer than 2 weeks (they would scream and curse at their employees in front of customers) and finally had to start closing during finals week due to lack of staff. SB stayed open nearly round the clock with lines out the door.

We do have a Caribou nearer the interstate. Hardly locally owned though, and they have mall type hours.

I wish we had more options. Someone should open up a combination coffeehouse / cookie bar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 pm 
Semen Strong

And some of the local coffee places really suck, charge for soy and aren't great to their workers. Its nice to say "Oh just take your money and patronize a local business!" If I did that, I'd be driving 20 minutes to buy my coffee at Sweet Avenue :) That is the closest place with soy. Of course, I would have to get a cupcake too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next