| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guide to being vegan at Starbucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Starbucks is changing their policy for registered card holders:

Soy & Syrup
Unfortunately, we will no longer offer syrups and soymilk on the house.

This makes me sad, since it's the main reason why I choose to go to Starbucks instead of other coffee places. I loved not having to pay extra for soy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Oh no, where does it say that?

I haven't been using either regularly (just a splash of soy so no charge), but it was nice to save a buck on fancier drinks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It better still be included in the gold card or else they just lost my business. I've worked so hard to get to gold level and I haven't even received the card in the mail yet...our Target Starbucks only gives free syrup and soy to gold card holders.

Neither of the local coffee shops I go to charge extra for soy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I don't think anyone (including gold card members) will get it free anymore. Apparently they sent out an email. I didn't get one yet, but I am reading all the angry comments on facebook (god, I love when the people take to facebook).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:21 pm 

http://www.starbucks.com/rewardsfaster

This sucks.

So disappointed that I worked so hard to get that gold card just to lose the only reason I had it. Rewards 3 drinks faster, woohoo...I still get a freebie after 10 at the local cafe that has a rewards card and they don't charge me for soy.

$4.20 yesterday for a 16 oz vegan PSL at that shop.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I think the non-free soy and the 12 instead of 15 for a free drink probably cancel each other out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:26 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

This sucks. I am rather pissed - seeing that I get a custom drink with soy & syrup each time I go. I have had a gold card forever. When at SB I buy two drink 1 for me and 1 for the boyfriend. The person on register is usually to lazy to ring up two different drinks so I get one point per transaction instead of two.

I went to Pete's over the weekend while in Berkley, is the soy milk free? I asked for soy in my coffee and he just gave me the pitcher...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Well this will save me $60/month. I can't justify the extra charges for soymilk.

A latte is usually my breakfast and lunch on the days I work (I can't eat food in the morning, but it helps with my meds, and I physically can't eat safely in only 20 minutes at lunch because of my surgery), but no way in hell am I spending the extra .90 a day. Couldn't afford it even if I wanted to.

Too bad since the lattes are pretty much my only treat/splurge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Dave the Cat wrote:
I think the non-free soy and the 12 instead of 15 for a free drink probably cancel each other out.

When I stop being pissed, I'll do the math. You could be right. But I suspect that in another 6 months, they will raise prices so soy milk will be $1 extra.

Eta: I don't think so. Unless I'm completely wrong here, this averages out to saving an extra .48 cents per 15 drink cycle, while spending an extra 13.50. So, this is pretty significant for anyone who goes regularly.

Last edited by lavawitch on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:31 pm 

It won't save me any money since I have a coffee shop who doesn't charge me for soy less than 100 yards from my house...LOL. I went to Sbux because with my card and the free soy/syrup the drink was cheaper. It won't be now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

lavawitch wrote:
Dave the Cat wrote:

When I stop being pissed, I'll do the math. You could be right. But I suspect that in another 6 months, they will raise prices so soy milk will be $1 extra.

I don't know; I doubt they'd make the change if it weren't making them money.

So if a soy vanilla latte costs like $3.50 now, then 15 would be $52.50. Then I'd get one free, so I got 16 lattes at $3.28 each.

New plan, assuming .60 for soy and .50 for syrup: 12 lattes for $4.60 each is $55.20. Then one free, so 13 lattes at $4.25 each.

Not quite a difference if you're just getting soy, but you'll still be paying more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

karichelle wrote:
It won't save me any money since I have a coffee shop who doesn't charge me for soy less than 100 yards from my house...LOL. I went to Sbux because with my card and the free soy/syrup the drink was cheaper. It won't be now.

The only other coffee shop in the vicinity is one run by a church to fund mission trips to convert the heathens. They do not sell soy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

We only have Dunkin' Donuts, and one local shop that is way more expensive and also sucks. And you have to pay for parking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Booooooooo!!!!! FU Starbucks! So annoyed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Soyanara Mermaid, I'm sticking with the Non-Dairy Fairy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I got the email. No more free soy or syrup, and I have a gold card. Which there's hardly any reason to use anymore. Boo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yeah, and they don't give you a free tall drink when you buy a pound of coffee anymore, either. They literally cancelled the only two perks that I bothered having that card for. I deactivated my auto-reload today, and now I'll buy my coffee beans at the grocery store and my occasional latte at wherever happens to be convenient.

Sigh. I realize they're a private company and can do as they damn well please, it's just annoying when a place that I like drives me away with stuff like this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I need to find a replacement for my morning latte now. I hate coffee, so I'm not making it at home, and my espresso machine has been broken for a long time.

I need caffeine in order to not fall asleep when I take my meds. I need soy milk or something so the meds don't make me nauseus. I can't have more than 5-6g of sugar. Any ideas?

I just sent corporate a nice email praising my local store staff (who are the best and sweetest and make me smile in the morning; I love them!). I told them exactly what I think of their "improvements," and attached my reload records for the past two years. I also removed auto-reload; I have enough on there to last until the changes.

I can't believe they want to screw over their regular and best customers. Do they not realize that they are effectively raising their prices almost 25% overnight? For an already luxury priced product? Who does that?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

lavawitch wrote:
I need to find a replacement for my morning latte now. I hate coffee, so I'm not making it at home, and my espresso machine has been broken for a long time.

I need caffeine in order to not fall asleep when I take my meds. I need soy milk or something so the meds don't make me nauseus. I can't have more than 5-6g of sugar. Any ideas?

You could heat soy milk up at home in the microwave or on a stovetop with whatever sweetener you like, put it in a travel mug, and then just order a shot or two of espresso and dump it in there. I've done this myself after the steam wand on my espresso maker went kaput and it was fine. You just don't get any foam on top.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:28 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Damn you starbucks *shakes fist*

I don't really go there often, unless I am travelling and can expense it, but that is really shitty. Way to nickle and dime people that don't or can't drink milk, and want an alternative.

lavawitch, soy milk steams pretty well in the microwave. much much better than regular milk does. You can make a decent latte at home using the microwave. Try it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:32 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I sent them an email too, being very nice about it but still expressing my disappointment. I will miss the staff at my usual Starbucks. They were even starting to remember my name... :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:33 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Hey they switched back from the bug blood to make the strawberry frappuccinos pink because people complained, maybe they'll realize how many of us just had a mini-first-world-problem-melt-down over this and take it back?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

parkerk wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

You could heat soy milk up at home in the microwave or on a stovetop with whatever sweetener you like, put it in a travel mug, and then just order a shot or two of espresso and dump it in there. I've done this myself after the steam wand on my espresso maker went kaput and it was fine. You just don't get any foam on top.

I also really, really hate hot drinks.

But that's an idea. I can do syrup and soy at home and get the ice and espresso there. I'll talk to my favorite barista.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Fee wrote:
Hey they switched back from the bug blood to make the strawberry frappuccinos pink because people complained, maybe they'll realize how many of us just had a mini-first-world-problem-melt-down over this and take it back?

They did?! So they are vegan again? I have two free cards left--I save those for the expensive frappucino and green tea lattes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm 
Semen Strong

I replaced my SBux ice-coffee with Trader Joe's instant Colombian coffee, almond milk and cocoa powder. It tastes really good and costs a whole lot less.

I am still going to complain to Starbucks, but I think they've thought this decision through and have decided that because no one else has free soy options, they should charge for theirs too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next