| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guide to being vegan at Starbucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Welcome to Moby Dick's! Would you like an official Dugong-logo insulated sleeve for your athletic build quintuple ventricle soy machinal no drizzle-drazzle?

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

I think tomorrow is either the last day for free soy and free syrup or the first day of paying for soy and syrup. Either way, I'm sad.

On the plus side, the university Starbucks that has never given me gold card rewards seems to have magically stopped charging for soy. I don't know if it's poorly trained cashiers or what, but I ain't complainin'.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I thought it was today, too, but then someone told me 10/18. I can't remember if I paid for it today or not. Tricky Starbuck's. It was delicious though, and it made me too happy to be grumpy about paying for soy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:25 am 

Just received the email--changes are in effect today. Well played, Sbux. Well played. I'm still terribly curious about the Pret a Manger opening next door to my office...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 am 
Semen Strong

I am thinking of going in and saying "Since your powerbars are recalled because of salmonella issues, can I have soy milk instead? OR DO YOU WANT TO KILL ME?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:49 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Sometimes I go to Pret a Manger. They mark all their vegan stuff, which is an exercise in futility, because their only vegan stuff is boring, boring salad which is obviously vegan anyway. But I'm trying to lose the baby weight, and it's right across the street.

boring story even more boring: I have no idea if they have soy milk or not, but I could probably ask? Oh, man, there's no way I won't make that awkward. I'll be like, "Can I get a latte with soy?" and they'll be like, "ONE SOY LATTE" and I'll think "Oh no, they took my inquiry into the conceivability of purchasing a soy latte as a request for a soy latte!" and then I will just pay for it and leave and later drink terrible, terrible coffee and think about how I should probably be ok with just saying when I don't actually want things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:52 am 

Aw, I was hoping they would have un-boring stuff. I'll have to keep bringing my Sparkling Jazz-Hands Kapop sandwiches from home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:56 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made Gold on 8/23 - 8 weeks ago on Thursday. Still no Gold Welcome Kit. My birthday is Saturday. I haven't gotten a birthday postcard, nor do I have an electronic reward on my phone. *sigh*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am 

So far, so good with the changes for me! The super lovely baristas have given me free coffee yesterday and today. I don't know how I got so lucky. They're so kind.

I hope you all are getting at least free soymilk still if you're not getting free coffee!

Also, mmm coffee...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:39 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Nope. Extra 1.25 for syrup and soymilk today.

I wasn't going to go, but my mom told me stop being stupid and she put $25 on my card on the way home form neuro appt yesterday.

My toffee nut latte was very nice though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:43 am 

lavawitch wrote:
Nope. Extra 1.25 for syrup and soymilk today.

I wasn't going to go, but my mom told me stop being stupid and she put $25 on my card on the way home form neuro appt yesterday.

My toffee nut latte was very nice though.

I am glad you got it anyway! Sometimes I really love your family. I'm so thankful for how they help you out.

Hugs--hope you're having a good day!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 am 
WRETCHED

It appears that I have a zero balance (I was hoping to use up my balance prior to the change but didn't go to and didn't check).

It was a nice run SB but you will be a rarity, maybe at the airport.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I had a zero balance on my SB gold card when the news came out about the changes, and I haven't been back since. I don't miss it at all, and I purchased a bottle of Monin raspberry syrup so I can make my own flavored coffee. I think it was lavawitch who turned me onto the wonders of raspberry lattes. <3

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am 

I recently went to Starbucks and used the last of the credit that was on my starbucks card. They guy said "do you want to reload this?" and I said no, i was only using it to get free soy. And he said , "yeah, we've had a lot of complaints about that." So that is good. Maybe all those complaints will get back to corporate.

As an aside, I went to Panera the other day and they don't have soy out but they gave me the carton to put some in my coffee at no charge. Of course I don't know what brand it was or if it was expired or something but it went all funny and curdled/seperated/got cloudy (can soy milk do that? i use almond at home) in my coffee. Well, at least it was free.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:13 am 

erynne936 wrote:
I recently went to Starbucks and used the last of the credit that was on my starbucks card. They guy said "do you want to reload this?" and I said no, i was only using it to get free soy. And he said , "yeah, we've had a lot of complaints about that." So that is good. Maybe all those complaints will get back to corporate.

As an aside, I went to Panera the other day and they don't have soy out but they gave me the carton to put some in my coffee at no charge. Of course I don't know what brand it was or if it was expired or something but it went all funny and curdled/seperated/got cloudy (can soy milk do that? i use almond at home) in my coffee. Well, at least it was free.

Soy milk can curdle in coffee, something about the amount of acid in the coffee. I have it happen more often with iced coffee. It's still safe to drink and everything though. I've heard sometimes putting the soy in first can help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:24 pm 

ndpittman wrote:

Soy milk can curdle in coffee, something about the amount of acid in the coffee. I have it happen more often with iced coffee. It's still safe to drink and everything though. I've heard sometimes putting the soy in first can help.

hm, intesrting about the acidity. i doubted it could be so old as to go icky. i was with a group and and didnt want to draw attention to being that poor vegan drinking the gross soy coffee. so i silently drank it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:52 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My balance was taken down to <$1 on 10/15, and I haven't been back since. I do have a free drink card I've been saving for after the soypacalypse, and should have just barely earned another, so that's 2 free visits...otherwise, it'll be the place across the street (that is unfortunately a little spotty with getting my order right and making me what I want, even though i want to love them) or the place with sweet, sweet childcare.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't know Panera had soy!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:28 am 
Inflexitarian

I've just discovered that the salted caramel mocha can be made vegan (soy, no whip, no drizzle). Yum! I'm glad I can get one of the special fall drinks, even if it's not the one I really want (I'm looking at you, pumpkin spice latte).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:24 am 
WELFARIST!

quark wrote:
I've just discovered that the salted caramel mocha can be made vegan (soy, no whip, no drizzle). Yum! I'm glad I can get one of the special fall drinks, even if it's not the one I really want (I'm looking at you, pumpkin spice latte).

shiitake, what? The pumpkin spice latte isn't vegan? I thought that would be an easy safe one. I suck at vegan Starbucks. Super happy the salted caramel mocha can be made vegan though, I love salted caramel. Have you tried it?

Just realized the shop I bought a pumpkin spice latte at was Peets. Does anyone know if that one is vegan?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:44 am 
Inflexitarian

Yeah, I've made that mistake before. It's really sad, because the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks is awesome! I have tried the salted caramel mocha, and I love it.

Believe it or not, I think we have a whole thread about pumpkin spice lattes.

Yup, here it is: http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23308&hilit=pumpkin+spice

Looks like Peets is vegan, so you're good. Sadly, I don't think we have Peets around these parts....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:47 am 
WELFARIST!

Thank you! I feel like I need to keep a PPK Guide To What's Vegan In The World with me when I go out. I don't always remember what I've read on here, especially if it's a guide to modifying coffee drinks. I'm glad the salted caramel is good even with the mods, I'm going to try it the next time I'm there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who considers SB (or fancy lattes from anywhere else) to be such a nice treat. It really honestly makes my whole day better! I'm living off savings right now because I'm doing internships so I really can't afford it, but I honestly walk a half an hour each way instead of taking the subway to make sense of buying a latte every once and awhile.

The soy thing really sucks, JOE in NYC charges .25 and that's nice. I work right by the Whole Foods in Columbus Circle though and will try that one day soon! I would die and go to heaven if they had soy creamer (or coconut creamer, which I have yet to try)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

quark wrote:

They told me that the mocha is a premade sauce that isn't vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:32 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Huh, I thought the mocha was vegan.

I went to SBs today for the first time in a while. Grande iced vanilla soy latte- $4.94. Oof.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next