| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guide to being vegan at Starbucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Does anyone know if any of the Macchiatos are vegan? I have this coupon for a free one....and would like to know if I can use it. Or is there anyway to veganize a macchiato?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

From what I understand, a macchiato is milk with espresso on top, so if you got a soy macchiato, it should be vegan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

ndpittman wrote:
From what I understand, a macchiato is milk with espresso on top, so if you got a soy macchiato, it should be vegan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

You're right; a soy macchiato works. However, once you add caramel or hazelnut sauce on top, then it becomes non-vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beethecookie wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

You're right; a soy macchiato works. However, once you add caramel or hazelnut sauce on top, then it becomes non-vegan.

Kind of. A macchiato is actually espresso marked with milk foam. At Starbucks, you can order this (espresso macchiato), but the kind on the coupon is probably the new hazelnut macchiato, which like the caramel macchiato has a non-vegan sauce drizzled on top. If you get it without the sauce, it's pretty much a flavoured latte, just with the shots poured over top.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i don't go to starbucks often because i usually have to go out of my way to find one, and on the way i'd pass a dozen better coffee places, but i was in manhattan last week and stopped at one for a latte. normally when i order a soy latte at a non-SB location i get something that tastes like coffee and soymilk, but this latte tasted like vanilla ice cream. SO SWEET. is that just how they are? i guess i hate starbucks now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Did you get syrup in it? Their default amount of syrup is completely ludicrous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

no, i didn't ask for syrup or a flavor or sugar or anything. i said, "tall soy latte, please." did i do it wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Their soy milk is suuuuuper sweet (and possibly also has vanilla in it?). Sounds like you did it right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm the wrong one to ask since I like my coffee to not be sweet exactly, but not taste like coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah it's incredibly sweet because of the soy milk. It tastes like a marshmallow latte to me. I stopped getting sbux mainly for this reason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If you guys think Starbucks is sweet, try Sheetz or Wegmans. Gak! Without any syrup at all, theirs are about 10x sweeter than Starbucks with one pump of syrup. It's insane.

I am sad about Sheetz because they woud be so convenient. I used to leave comments begging for soymilk all the time, then they got it, and it has something 18g of sugar per 8 ounces (I saw the box).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:46 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I always ask for my hot cocoa to be half sweet because I find Starbucks drinks to be insanely sweet. And I like sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

bodhi wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Kind of. A macchiato is actually espresso marked with milk foam. At Starbucks, you can order this (espresso macchiato), but the kind on the coupon is probably the new hazelnut macchiato, which like the caramel macchiato has a non-vegan sauce drizzled on top. If you get it without the sauce, it's pretty much a flavoured latte, just with the shots poured over top.

I claimed my free macchiato - it just said "Free tall macchiato". They made it just as you said, as a latte with shot poured on top.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm 

Have you guys ever seen the I Hate Starbucks forum? I found it when googling some ingredient or something. It's hilarious and sad. That's how I found out what a macchiato is and why ordering an upside-down macchiato is silly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:15 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

my boyfriend hates that i order a venti with about a 1/2 cup (measuring cup, not SB cup) of soy milk and that is it. i do not like sugar coffee...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 am 
Inflexitarian

ndpittman wrote:
Have you guys ever seen the I Hate Starbucks forum? I found it when googling some ingredient or something. It's hilarious and sad. That's how I found out what a macchiato is and why ordering an upside-down macchiato is silly.

Reading that forum has me jonesing for some Starbucks. I'm a jerk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 am 

quark wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Ha, quark! I think it's OK as long as you are not a jerk to the people who work at Starbucks. They have to deal with so many entitled crassholes, among other things. I seriously can't believe some of the sexual and physical harassment from customers. Boo.

For the most part I agree with the soy milk being too sweet, but I really like it in the 'misto,' aka cafe au lait. It's sweet, but it still tastes like sweet coffee instead of coffee milk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 am 
Inflexitarian

ndpittman wrote:
quark wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Ha, quark! I think it's OK as long as you are not a jerk to the people who work at Starbucks. They have to deal with so many entitled crassholes, among other things. I seriously can't believe some of the sexual and physical harassment from customers. Boo.

For the most part I agree with the soy milk being too sweet, but I really like it in the 'misto,' aka cafe au lait. It's sweet, but it still tastes like sweet coffee instead of coffee milk.

I am way nice to the baristas, I promise! They're totally awesome people, and we usually chat about stuff (I'm there *way* too much). Reading that forum did make me realize I need to tip more often. I just usually pay with my card and don't carry cash.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 am 

No doubt--I hope it didn't sound like I was suggesting otherwise, quark!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

ndpittman wrote:
quark wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

When I worked at Starbucks I had a customer ask if I "let my boyfriend shave my legs", another ask how much *I* was, and a bus driver ask if I and a coworker wanted to come on his bus and "play". Shudder.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 am 

j-dub!!! GROSS, GROSS, GROSS!!

On what planet is that OK?! ICKY!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:33 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

ndpittman wrote:

Well, there goes my afternoon.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The 'customers trying to rip you off' thread is BLOWING MY MIND. Like some of them I can understand, like ordering a coffee and a cup of ice (which I assume is free) and making two iced coffees...but is that even cheaper? But then people trying to be like, "This isn't what I ordered I wanted X Y and Z!" and they do it regularly to the same employees. A lot of it is straight up stealing.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:59 am 
Discovered unobtainium

There is a hate forum for everything.

I figure most people suck when my convoluted orders are always met with good cheer, efficiency, friendly small talk and my order ready because I'm predictable. And I'm a bad tipper because I never have cash unless I remember to get dollars for the purpose.

MMmm. Latte in way home from this transfusion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 am 
Inflexitarian

ndpittman wrote:
No doubt--I hope it didn't sound like I was suggesting otherwise, quark!

Not at all!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next